Covid19 impacts 2021 season

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
May or may not be related but there was a postponement of individual game-day tickets for the Lightning. Originally announced to go on sale this morning. Nothing happened, at 8am, 9am, or 10am so I called someone at Amalie. Was told the individual purchase of tickets has been pushed back due to "League Protocol". The future date for release of individual tickets has been postponed until further notice. They said for those who are registered users with TicketMaster need to keep checking their emails for updates and that an email for this went out earlier. I told them I am subscribed to TM but received no email.

Yet scheduled team practices are ongoing as I type.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dallas - 6 players and 2 staff test positive, first 3 games postponed.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Well that should explain it

Six Stars players test positive, NHL revising schedule

Six Dallas Stars players and two staff members have recently confirmed positive tests for COVID-19, the NHL announced Friday.
The league said it is in the process of reviewing and revising the Stars’ regular season schedule with the expectation that the team will not open its 2020-21 season earlier than Tuesday, January 19.

The Stars cancelled practice earlier on Friday, but did not comment on why the team's practice was cancelled.
The Stars are currently scheduled to begin their season next week, facing the Panthers in back-to-back games in Florida starting Thursday.

mndbsstt

Jan 7, 2021
CT
It will happen. They will deal with it just like MLB and NFL did.
MLB had eight teams with COVID concerns at one point. Rob Manfred said something about a possible pause a few weeks into the season, but nothing really came out of it.

Honest question coming up: How many NHL teams would have to have multiple players/staff with positive cases and precautionary quarantines before someone even considers the thought of "let's pause this"?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Dallas - 6 players and 2 staff test positive, first 3 games postponed.
The puck has not dropped on the first game and Dallas and Colorado are unable to start. This is going to be a goatf*** of a season. There is very little room for make-up games and you can expect every team will miss some and rescheduling will be impossible at some point. Could it be a team like Detroit as bad as they are could play all games and wind up in a playoff spot? What kind of controversy is this going to cause at the end of whatever season we have.

mndbsstt

Jan 7, 2021
CT
There is very little room for make-up games and you can expect every team will miss some and rescheduling will be impossible at some point.
Kind of wish the NHL took a page out of the AHL's playbook in a regular-format season and went with points percentage determining if you were in or not.

In other news... Vancouver next team to cancel practice. (Read the responses to this tweet. A fan actually said they met the team a few days ago?)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Intriguing NHL futures bets for 2020–21 season

Friedman with some of his 31 thoughts
14. The NBA has a rule that there must be eight players in uniform, or a team must forfeit. (Last Saturday, an injured Philadelphia 76er had to dress so they wouldn’t forfeit to Denver.) The NHL doesn’t have anything that specific, but Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Monday on a media Zoom call they don’t want teams playing “significantly shorthanded.” The AHL is contemplating a “14-and-2 rule,” 14 skaters and two goalies or no go. But the numbers could change before its season begins.

15. The AHL is also considering what to do if officials have to be quarantined. As it stands, as long as one referee is available, games will be a go.

NHL "shouldn't" have t play short handed due to taxi squad, but still.....

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
31 Thoughts: Intriguing NHL futures bets for 2020–21 season

Friedman with some of his 31 thoughts

NHL "shouldn't" have to play short handed due to taxi squad, but still.....

If a team has 17 positives at the same time during the season, the taxi squad isn't going to be enough - and if they are traveling, or their AHL team is in another state, (or country) they may not be able to get enough AHL players through the protocols in time.

Interesting that there is no specific rule in either league. I suppose since they both have feeder leagues to take from, it never came up before.

The ECHL has had a 12 player minimum for many years. Two must be goalies, so ten skaters minimum. Normal active roster is 16 skaters in the ECHL. I watched a game once where the Royals got hit by call-ups and the flu on the same day. They dressed 2 goalies, 5 forwards, 4 defense, and had a third goalie dress as a skater to make the minimum. The third goalie didn't get a shift, so they were rotating five forwards the whole game. Everyone took a turn double shifting every five shifts. Penalty killing was brutal - especially when a defenseman took a penalty - they would use a second unit with a forward playing defense. It wasn't so much dump and chase as dump and change for most of the game.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In the new Athletic Hockey Show podcast (released 1/13), Bill Daly talks about some stuff. Including the fact that he had Covid (around Christmas).

Edit

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
For whatever reason I suddenly over the last cpl days lost the ability to open Tweets posted on here I just have the blue twitter bird anyone else? I'm on a Chromebook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->