COVID refugees(loans, returnees, rejects) Let's follow them

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think it's time to start a thread for following the players who are flooding the KHL now from NA due to the COVID situation in the NA leagues(or just return home as their perspective in NA would be uncertain anyway).

First of all we need a list and I am too lazy to make a proper one myself, so feel free to add names. I will include them in the OP.

Goalies:

Berdin (SKA)
Zagidullin (Metallurg)

Defencemen:

Samorukov (CSKA)
Rykov (CSKA)
Chayka (CSKA)

Lehtonen (Jokerit)

Alexeyev (Salavat Yulayev)

Knyazev (AkBars)

Lyubushkin (Lokomotov) *to be confirmed

Forwards:

Trenin (SKA)
Kamenev (SKA)
Zavgorodniy (SKA)
Maltsev (SKA)

Tolvanen (Jokerit)

Rubtsov (Sochi)

Popugayev (Dynamo(M))

Chekhovich (Torpedo)

Korshkov (Lokomotiv)

Goldobin (CSKA)
Afanasiev (CSKA)
Maximov (CSKA)

Khovanov (AkBars)

Vorobyov (Salavat Yulayev)

Shvyryov (Metallurg)

Kravtsov (Traktor)

Kostin (Avangard)

Toropchenko (Kunlun)
Bakanov (Kunlun)

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thoughts for now:

Goalies:

Berdin looks shaky in big games.

Defencemen:

Samorukov looks better than Rykov which was expected. There is hope for Samorukov to meet my expectations that were set high when he played on the U18 NT.

Alexeyev seems to get compfortable in Ufa.

Forwards:

Trenin is on fire lately. He'd better be, he is no teenager. Kamenev though is somewhat ineffective. Zavgorodniy and Maltsev will probably end up in the VHL/MHL wit everybody healed.

Rubtsov is not showing signs of improvement.

Korshkov looks good like he should. He is grown KHLer by design and wasn't exactly bad in the AHL too.

Goldobin will probably be career KHLer by now, a middle of the pack one.

Khovanov is fairly useless on KHL level. He should be playing in the VHL, but there are bad rumors about him being unhappy/not willing to be sent down. If that is his attitude, he won't achieve anything.

Vorobyov is okay I guess. His defensice play needs polishing though.

Shvyryov not overly impressive so far.

Kravtsov was resurgent before the injury. Let's wait and see if he keeps that up once healthy again.

Kostin looks raw so far. It will be tough for him to succeed on that stacked roster. Now that they got Yakupov too.

No idea what's happening at Kunlun:)

Reactions: voxel

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Other players from my head

G Melnichuk (Torpedo), F Chekhovich (Torpedo), G Zagidullin (Magnitka), D Lyubushkin (Loko)

Reactions: Atas2000

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Other players from my head

G Melnichuk (Torpedo), F Chekhovich (Torpedo), G Zagidullin (Magnitka), D Lyubushkin (Loko)
Thanks. Added.

I will probфbly add age and some stats at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: vorky

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I totally don't think guys like Vorobyov, Shvyryov, Goldobin, Popugaev and probably Kamenev too are relevant to the covid situation at all, they would be back with or without the virus.

And I think Tarasov is missing from the list, also Melnichuk, but he had been mentioned earlier.

Upd: and if we're adding Bakanov, then adding Chayka would make sense too.

Upd2: also I think Maximov and Afanasyev are missing.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I totally don't think guys like Vorobyov, Shvyryov, Goldobin, Popugaev and probably Kamenev too are relevant to the covid situation at all, they would be back with or without the virus.

And I think Tarasov is missing from the list, also Melnichuk, but he had been mentioned earlier.

Upd: and if we're adding Bakanov, then adding Chayka would make sense too.

Upd2: also I think Maximov and Afanasyev are missing.
Maybe COVID in the title was a bit misleading. I did not mean only players who are loaned because of the NA leagues not playing. More like all NA returnees. In a way the situations of guys like Vorobyov is also affected. They might have come back even in a "normal" season, but the COVID situation also might have affected the firmness of that decision. They basically got an alternative scratched from the list completely.

Also I bet all those guys are still hopeful to get to the NHL at some point. They are not burning bridges KHLers yet.

Tarasov. Technically he is a loan, but as he was playing in Finland I don't really know what to make of it.

I am adding Chayka, Maximov and Afanasiev.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Adding the two Finns on loan to Jokerit, Mikko Lehtonen and Eeli Tolvanen. Both on loan until the NHL pre-season kicks off.

Reactions: Atas2000

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Artemiy Knyazev loaned to AkBars and is right off to the NT camp.
Is he loaned to Ak Bars for the remaining season or until the pre-season starts?

I heard Sweden won’t use any NHL loans in the EHT as the World Championship most likely won’t feature any NHL players, so just wondering if Russia has the same mindset

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Is he loaned to Ak Bars for the remaining season or until the pre-season starts?

I heard Sweden won’t use any NHL loans in the EHT as the World Championship most likely won’t feature any NHL players, so just wondering if Russia has the same mindset
1.Russia sends the U20 team to the EHT. It will include NHL loans like Knyazev.

2.The news say he is signed for the KHL season.

Reactions: Exarz

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
As the possibility of a NHL season approaches rumors and confirmed moves start to trickle in.

Melnichuk is returning to NA.

Chekhovich and Der-Arguchintsev stay until the end of the season. Chekhovich is one of the brightest spots within the cohort of loans. Great news for him and Torpedo. The KHL might be the turnaround he needed.

Trenin and Zavgorodmiy return to NA. While Trenin was somewhat effective he did nothing to change my mind about him. He is still not really NHL material in my eyes. He might carve out a KHL career as a middle of the pack guy. That's where I see him. 23 years old and 7 points in 21 games is telling. Zavgorodniy is a curious case. Lack of sample size does not allow to judge his play. The question is why he did not play while everybody and their dog got some minutes within the SKA system because of COVID.

Berdin's rights traded to Sochi. Not surprisingly. He was the worst SKA goaltender this season.

Goldobin traded to Magnitogorsk. No redeeming there. Obviously he is not good enough for CSKA's roster. I doubt MMG needs him much too though.(1st round, OHL, AHL right there. Just saying...)

Alexeyev and Tarasov will stay with Salavat. Alexeyev in a recent interview did sound happy with his role with Salavat and somewhat unhappy about the communication with Washington.

Samorukov to stay with CSKA. He progresses well as he get more and more comfprtable with the KHL and the team. Chayka will return to the OHL(after the WJC I guess).

Khovanov and Knyazev will stay with AkBars. Khovanov looks like a good to great VHLer at this point. If he shuts the f... up at works hard, he might get back to the KHL at some point. There might be a center spot open. Looks like Burmistrov is injured and Azevedo is off to Canada on a family matter. Knyazev should look to have a good WJC showing and build on it. Then he could get some KHL action too come February. Especially as it does not look like the team will need points desperately.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad