Speculation: COVID and trades for the 2020-21 season

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Didn't see a threat discussing this or see anything in the media. Come the start of the season, especially if the league starts in 4 or so "bubbles". How will trades work? Do you see less movement? What about trades across the border and quarantines?

Reactions: shadow1

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Players don’t want hub divisions, and neither does the owners, as they have regional tv deals, advertising and sponsorship money they’re worried about, which if hub cities advertising and sponsorship revenue is gone except for the 4 cities.

Not sure about trades across the 2 countries.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Not if there is a trade to a Canadian team unless the government provides an exemption. Here its a 14 day quarantine.

I believe there are exemptions say if the player is already a Canadian citizen or has family in the country, but yeah the government should provide an exemption as long as they pass the NHL's own testing period, a weeks worth of negative tests is pretty strict

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I believe there are exemptions say if the player is already a Canadian citizen or has family in the country, but yeah the government should provide an exemption as long as they pass the NHL's own testing period, a weeks worth of negative tests is pretty strict

Didn't Vancouver drop out of the running for the location of a bubble because of its regulations?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

No the Federal government has yet to make exceptions for sports or any Canadian. I have friends doing their masters abroad and when they came home cause covid caused their classes to go online they had to quarantine for two weeks. They were born and raised in Canada.

Reactions: go4hockey

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Didn't see a threat discussing this or see anything in the media. Come the start of the season, especially if the league starts in 4 or so "bubbles". How will trades work? Do you see less movement? What about trades across the border and quarantines?

Nearly every aspect of a 2020-21 season remains to be negotiated and agreed to by the NHL and NHLPA. Including this.

Reactions: Ciao

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
No the Federal government has yet to make exceptions for sports or any Canadian. I have friends doing their masters abroad and when they came home cause covid caused their classes to go online they had to quarantine for two weeks. They were born and raised in Canada.

Only exemption I know of is for cross border health care workers. Nothing for sports though.

Basically why the Blue Jays had to play their home games in Buffalo. Raptors, I believe, will be playing theirs in Tampa this upcoming season.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nearly every aspect of a 2020-21 season remains to be negotiated and agreed to by the NHL and NHLPA. Including this.
While this is true, this is also something the has to be approved, at a certain level, as long as the border between Canada and the us remains closed. Will someone moving between the two countries via trade have to quarantine for 14 days?

Heck what about cases of teams calling up or sending players to the AHL? Just another wrinkle for the season I guess.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
With relatively no talks going on one has to question the viability of any season. The issues or the resurgence of the virus is likely the cause of no talks because the season is teetering on being canceled all together dont ya think.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If the 14 day quarantine rule remains in effect by time of trade - they'd have to abide by it plain and simple.

Disavantage to Canadian teams since the US doesnt have the same mandate, but it is what it is

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Probably only allow trades within each bubble?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No international trades I imagine. Ottawa will be deadline sellers. They could make the bye-week the same for all teams and line it up with the trade deadline to create a trade window to allow for a quarantine period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad