COVID-19: The final countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
There’s a few reasons why the flu vaccine would never be treated like the COVID vaccine that I can think of, in particular that the flu is not as dangerous and the flu vaccine is not as effective (because there’s several strains).

I think companies will need to reevaluate how they handle sick days. People get sick a lot but due to a finite number of sick days people just go to work anyway. It’s crazy how often a coworker is coughing or sneezing but acting like they’re a champion for toughing it out and coming in anyway. f*** off.

My company has been getting a lot better about this in recent years. Even pre-COVID I've seen executives tell people sniffling or cough to GTFO and either sleep it off or work from home if they really felt something couldn't wait.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
On the flip side, some workplaces shun you for calling off sick (vomiting, dizziness) and then again at the end of the year when those that had perfect attendance get gifts and treated to breakfast while those that called off sick once or more stay at work and pick up the slack.

Also, 80% of people that take sick days aren’t actually sick.

It’s why most companies are going with unlimited PTO.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just an unreal amazing epic accomplishment to have this done so fast and that's why the title is what it is. Every vaccine given is a step closer. So amazing.

Given that the biggest proverbial bang for the buck comes up front, among those most at risk front line workers, nursing homes, the elderly and people with health issues, getting an extra 40 percent vaccinated before the New Year is a game changer. Moderna will add tens of millions more.

What it means is death rates plummeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
https://archive.is/jUoqN

Gap in reporting backlog of COVID-19 deaths

It takes days or weeks for Florida to report a COVID-19 death. Ten days before the election, the state stopped reporting older deaths. The bars show daily reported deaths that were older than one month.

More evidence as predicted that Florida’s “great numbers” are all bullshit.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Also, 80% of people that take sick days aren’t actually sick.

It’s why most companies are going with unlimited PTO.

Off topic but unlimited vacation is a scam. Not only has the company taken away their liability to pay off vacation time but it's usually presented as a "big win" for the employees.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
https://archive.is/jUoqN

Gap in reporting backlog of COVID-19 deaths

It takes days or weeks for Florida to report a COVID-19 death. Ten days before the election, the state stopped reporting older deaths. The bars show daily reported deaths that were older than one month.

More evidence as predicted that Florida’s “great numbers” are all bullshit.

It feels you are actively rooting against a state's health? I've found it weird to me when people watch news almost hoping it gets worse for some weird entertainment. It's like "If they wont' lock down, I want them to pay!" And that's a really sad thing.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It feels you are actively rooting against a state's health? I've found it weird to me when people watch news almost hoping it gets worse for some weird entertainment. It's like "If they wont' lock down, I want them to pay!" And that's a really sad thing.

That’s certainly a take..

Should I respond with it feels you are actively rooting against scientific decisions that impact multiple people’s lives?

I mean, we already saw the same thing happen in Sweden. It is pretty obvious Florida’s methods are not any better than quarantine and potentially worse and that Florida is politicizing the optics of their death count. But if you want to write that off as myself rooting for death go ahead, quite an ignorant statement though.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Ah yes, the old "you're pro covid if you point out anything that is a valid point in why FL can't exactly be held up as a reliable statistical reference" take.

Gurglesons and I will invite you to our next chapter meeting. That way you can try and convert us to being anti-covid ...

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That’s certainly a take..

Should I respond with it feels you are actively rooting against scientific decisions that impact multiple people’s lives?

I mean, we already saw the same thing happen in Sweden. It is pretty obvious Florida’s methods are not any better than quarantine and potentially worse and that Florida is politicizing the optics of their death count. But if you want to write that off as myself rooting for death go ahead, quite an ignorant statement though.

This is ultimately my favorite thing people do. They pick/choose what they want to fit a narrative and then use the same argument against themselves. Prior you told me I couldn't compare FL/PA due to plenty of reasons. But if it fits the narrative Sweden is a shoe-in, right?

Or how about the other 100 things I posted that are concerns about lockdowns? To which we all know will have data rolling in 18-24 months after. I gave you specific links on studies to child malnutrition with school shutdowns. I gave you specific links to small businesses and how it could affect life. There have been studies on UE relating to deaths. And all of these numbers far exceed that of Covid deaths.

We aren't saying 1 life is worth any more than the other. And if we hold that truth, then taking a look at all things and considering them before only trying to stop Covid deaths is the right thing to do. And it also gives people like me a choice. I choose to stay in. I've been less places than probably every single person on HFPens. It's not a mandated lockdown. It's to look out for the health and well being of my family.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This is ultimately my favorite thing people do. They pick/choose what they want to fit a narrative and then use the same argument against themselves. Prior you told me I couldn't compare FL/PA due to plenty of reasons. But if it fits the narrative Sweden is a shoe-in, right?

Or how about the other 100 things I posted that are concerns about lockdowns? To which we all know will have data rolling in 18-24 months after. I gave you specific links on studies to child malnutrition with school shutdowns. I gave you specific links to small businesses and how it could affect life. There have been studies on UE relating to deaths. And all of these numbers far exceed that of Covid deaths.

We aren't saying 1 life is worth any more than the other. And if we hold that truth, then taking a look at all things and considering them before only trying to stop Covid deaths is the right thing to do. And it also gives people like me a choice. I choose to stay in. I've been less places than probably every single person on HFPens. It's not a mandated lockdown. It's to look out for the health and well being of my family.

Not sure what this has to do with what some of us have being talking about in terms of Florida fudging their data. But, I mean whatever.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not sure what this has to do with what some of us have being talking about in terms of Florida fudging their data. But, I mean whatever.

:laugh: Root for health and wellness of all. If these fools are doing illegal stuff, then I have full faith in our system to lock 'em up for as long as they need to. But seriously... people watch the news like its a sporting event hoping the score is run up. It's pretty disgusting.

Root for health and wellness and if a state is doing great w/o lockdowns, and let's face it.. they are doing INFINETLY better than anyone thought possible, then be happy for the successes.

Reactions: 2wayPlay

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
:laugh: Root for health and wellness of all. If these fools are doing illegal stuff, then I have full faith in our system to lock 'em up for as long as they need to. But seriously... people watch the news like its a sporting event hoping the score is run up. It's pretty disgusting.

Root for health and wellness and if a state is doing great w/o lockdowns, and let's face it.. they are doing INFINETLY better than anyone thought possible, then be happy for the successes.

It’s easy to do infinitely better when you are manipulating data to make it appear that you are doing infinitely better.

Not sure what is so shocking about this. What is truly shocking is Florida’s state government acting like China’s little brother and people trying to defend it or write it off as someone watching the news as sports. I’m not the one trying to play the “how COVID has effected me and how I handle COVID perfectly” card which you just did a few posts ago..

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Ah yes, don't point out your suspicions that numbers might not be accurate, it doesn't matter because nobody in the government ever gets away with shady shit, they always get the book thrown at them...

And besides nobody here ever mentioned how questionable China's numbers were, especially early on, I mean what would be the point? I'm sure the Chinese government has locked up those who were responsible for suppressing information, instead of going after those who spoke out, but nothing like that could happen in Florida.

It would actually a good thing for the public to not know the extent of the problem, just like in Wuhan which allowed it to spread to the rest of the planet, thus allowing us all to achieve herd immunity that much faster.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
giphy.gif

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think it's the appeal of negativity. For example - the title of the thread was criticized. I cannot imagine not finding small wins in a very trying time. Like how can that be a thing? When they said a vaccine would be out by the end of the year, FACT CHECKERS and news all over shit on it. A vaccine comes out and we continue to try to find negatives in it. TWO vaccines come out. We are saving lives daily. And whether people like Florida or not - they did save lives by doing what they did. Unless you people think the governor is going hospital to hospital telling them not to report................

This is a trying time. This is a pandemic. That doesn't change a remarkable American success story that will go down with this vaccine saving most likely a million lives. Legit "fact checkers" said a miracle would be needed to get one single vaccine by EOY. Welp.. we got two miracles. This is a scientific success story. One we should be proud of.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think it's the appeal of negativity. For example - the title of the thread was criticized. I cannot imagine not finding small wins in a very trying time. Like how can that be a thing? When they said a vaccine would be out by the end of the year, FACT CHECKERS and news all over shit on it. A vaccine comes out and we continue to try to find negatives in it. TWO vaccines come out. We are saving lives daily. And whether people like Florida or not - they did save lives by doing what they did. Unless you people think the governor is going hospital to hospital telling them not to report................

This is a trying time. This is a pandemic. That doesn't change a remarkable American success story that will go down with this vaccine saving most likely a million lives. Legit "fact checkers" said a miracle would be needed to get one single vaccine by EOY. Welp.. we got two miracles. This is a scientific success story. One we should be proud of.

Once again, I do not see how this has anything to do with Florida bringing multiple armed police to the individual who first reported flukey numbers and other news agencies based in Florida finding further discrepancies.

Also, who is playing this like sports? Remarkable American success story? How about remarkable international success story..

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Virus kills over 1.5 million people, governments around the world bungle the response in various ways, but the important thing is that everyone stops being so negative.

So vaccine comes out a year in advance, saves millions, but the important thing is to ignore it?

I think there is room for both here. I think we attack the positive mindset too much. If it's not teaming up on the negative sides of a pandemic, it's looked down upon greatly. I think there is room for both here, BK.

I really believe 50-75 years from now this moment and the actions of scientists/OWS/etc will go down as saving millions and millions across the globe. They said a miracle was needed. Two miracles happened. We will continue to have our hearts full of those who lost loved ones. That goes without saying for eternity.

I think there is room for both here.

Reactions: edog37

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Once again, I do not see how this has anything to do with Florida bringing multiple armed police to the individual who first reported flukey numbers and other news agencies based in Florida finding further discrepancies.

I say with everything - let the courts play it out. Don't actively root for it to be messed up. That's a very disturbing mindset, IMO. It's just an opinion. You even had a problem with the thread title so obviously we are on two opposite ends of the spectrum with how to view positive/negative components.

But do you think they are going hospital to hospital telling not to report?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
So vaccine comes out a year in advance, saves millions, but the important thing is to ignore it?

Who is ignoring it? It's talked about constantly and it's the biggest news story in the world. That doesn't mean when someone else takes issue with some other aspect of the COVID response that saying "yeah but what about the vaccine" is a valid argument.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I say with everything - let the courts play it out. Don't actively root for it to be messed up. That's a very disturbing mindset, IMO. It's just an opinion. You even had a problem with the thread title so obviously we are on two opposite ends of the spectrum with how to view positive/negative components.

But do you think they are going hospital to hospital telling not to report?

I mean, I read the article which addresses your question. Did you read the article or just instinctively post a response about me rooting for people to die like a sports even while talking about “America winning the vaccine game”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad