COVID-19: The final countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Welp, results finally came back. As per my Thursday test I'm COVID free. But I had to go out to get groceries on Friday. Small chance I got it there, but still a chance.
I'm confused here. Why is there a chance you got it Friday? You wear a mask? You keep your distance? Others around you in the store don't wear masks?

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Pops and I are going to Costco today in Frederick MD to get the normal groceries and maybe some extra for the big snowstorm they say is coming tomorrow. I always get worried about him, being that he's 63 but he insists.

My older brother keeps suggesting we use the MD contact tracing app which lets you know if you come in 6 feet of someone who is infected or someone that had been 6 feet of someone that had been infected. It sounds reasonable, but I never liked the idea of being "traced". Then Again I say this while having a Facebook and Instagram and joining the military

Reactions: ColePens

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

“I believe if we’re efficient about it and we convince people to get vaccinated, we can accomplish [herd immunity] by the end of the second quarter of 2021, namely by the end of the late spring early summer. I believe we can get there by then,” Fauci said.

“By the time we get to the fall, we can start approaching some degree of relief where the level of infection will be so low in society we can start essentially approaching some form of normality,” the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I already had covid (two weeks ago) and the left side of my chest near my heart has started hurting. This worries me hearing about the Florida basketball player who collapsed potentially due to covid affecting his heart. For reference, I’m young enough and in pretty good shape so I’m not worried, I could have very easily just tweaked something working out the other day.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I already had covid (two weeks ago) and the left side of my chest near my heart has started hurting. This worries me hearing about the Florida basketball player who collapsed potentially due to covid affecting his heart. For reference, I’m young enough and in pretty good shape so I’m not worried, I could have very easily just tweaked something working out the other day.

I had it at the end of July and despite otherwise excellent health, still get souvenirs from it. If you have a GP or family doc, maybe give them a heads up on that, and definitely don't ignore it.

Reactions: KIRK

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I had it at the end of July and despite otherwise excellent health, still get souvenirs from it. If you have a GP or family doc, maybe give them a heads up on that, and definitely don't ignore it.
Not ignoring it but not taking it too seriously after just 48 hours.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Not ignoring it but not taking it too seriously after just 48 hours.

Two things that make this bug so tricky: 1) some people have no symptoms at all, and 2) it expresses itself and can *hang around* in wildly differing ways.

You found the pain in your chest notable enough to post about here. Just keep paying attention to that instinct to keep tabs is all I'm saying. I sincerely hope that discomfort dissipates and leaves you none the worse for the wear.

Keep note is all I'm saying.

Reactions: KIRK

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
We all know how frisky you get after that 3rd Apple Martini, mate.

ShyFocusedChafer-size_restricted.gif

Sideline

May 23, 2004

It's an interesting liability question. My department has been 100% WFH since March. Would the company be on the hook legally if they brought me back to the office and I caught COVID from someone that doesn't have a religious or medical exemption for being unvaccinated?

Even if the laws allow it, I would be furious if I ended up bringing home COVID or any other preventable disease to my elderly relatives just because some antivaxxer wanted to rely on a chiropractic realignment of their Chakra for protection.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Does that not then open the can of worms that is the common flu? Which also kills thousands of elderly and vulnerable people per year.

Is that vaccine currently mandated?

Will that also be mandated should companies demand a Covid vaccine?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Does that not then open the can of worms that is the common flu? Which also kills thousands of elderly and vulnerable people per year.

It's interesting. I can see arguments on both sides. People will say they shouldn't be forced into any medical procedure no matter how trival, but I don't want to be around people that aren't vaccinated for a similar reason to why I don't want to eat in a restaurant with smokers.

We have a no smoking policy at work. Why not a no antivaxx policy?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

You have to admit that this virus is a once in a lifetime event, so can not be comparable to other more common viruses.

That said, a company absolutely can require a flu shot to work there. And many do. It depends on what state, or I suppose even country, you reside in if there are exceptions to that.

A good rule of thumb, albeit very rudimentary and therefore prone to exceptions, is that your rights stop when what you do not only harms yourself but potentially harms others as well.

Reactions: NMK11 and Sideline

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Lockdown incoming from Christmas Day for me. What classes as "non essential" these days anyway? I heard that Walmart will be able to stay open but only their food section.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
You have to admit that this virus is a once in a lifetime event, so can not be comparable to other more common viruses.

That said, a company absolutely can require a flu shot to work there. And many do. It depends on what state, or I suppose even country, you reside in if there are exceptions to that.

A good rule of thumb, albeit very rudimentary and therefore prone to exceptions, is that your rights stop when what you do not only harms yourself but potentially harms others as well.
Agree with everything about this except maybe your first sentence. This particular virus is once in a lifetime, but with a growing population and the ever increasing mobility of people between areas and regions, I wouldn't be shocked if there was another pandemic sooner than the 100 years between Spanish flu and COVID. I hope I'm wrong, but it's easier and easier for things to spread with each year. Hopefully those in the future remember this.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Agree with everything about this except maybe your first sentence. This particular virus is once in a lifetime, but with a growing population and the ever increasing mobility of people between areas and regions, I wouldn't be shocked if there was another pandemic sooner than the 100 years between Spanish flu and COVID. I hope I'm wrong, but it's easier and easier for things to spread with each year. Hopefully those in the future remember this.

I'm hoping the we can combine the accelerated vaccine development time-line with challenge trials to get the turn around down to 6 to 9 months for future pandemics.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and NMK11

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's an interesting liability question. My department has been 100% WFH since March. Would the company be on the hook legally if they brought me back to the office and I caught COVID from someone that doesn't have a religious or medical exemption for being unvaccinated?

Even if the laws allow it, I would be furious if I ended up bringing home COVID or any other preventable disease to my elderly relatives just because some antivaxxer wanted to rely on a chiropractic realignment of their Chakra for protection.

So, do you get mad when a vaccinated person gives it to you at work?

The virus doesn't discriminate between a vaccinated person or non-vaccinated person.

Healthy habits do in the workplace. Like regular cleaning, wash your hands after the bathroom and blowing your nose, stay home if sick, ideally.

I think some people think vaccinated means they can't get it or pass it on.

Vaccination only depresses it much like the flu.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There’s a few reasons why the flu vaccine would never be treated like the COVID vaccine that I can think of, in particular that the flu is not as dangerous and the flu vaccine is not as effective (because there’s several strains).

I think companies will need to reevaluate how they handle sick days. People get sick a lot but due to a finite number of sick days people just go to work anyway. It’s crazy how often a coworker is coughing or sneezing but acting like they’re a champion for toughing it out and coming in anyway. f*** off.

Last edited:

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
There’s a few reasons why the flu vaccine would never be treated like the COVID vaccine that I can think of, in particular that the flu is not as dangerous and the flu vaccine is not as effective (because there’s several strains).

I think companies will need to reevaluate how they handle sick days. People get sick a lot but due to a finite number of sick days people just go to work anyway. It’s crazy how often a coworker is coughing or sneezing but acting like they’re a champion for toughing it out and coming in anyway. f*** off.
On the flip side, some workplaces shun you for calling off sick (vomiting, dizziness) and then again at the end of the year when those that had perfect attendance get gifts and treated to breakfast while those that called off sick once or more stay at work and pick up the slack.

Reactions: Sideline

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So, do you get mad when a vaccinated person gives it to you at work?

The virus doesn't discriminate between a vaccinated person or non-vaccinated person.

Healthy habits do in the workplace. Like regular cleaning, wash your hands after the bathroom and blowing your nose, stay home if sick, ideally.

I think some people think vaccinated means they can't get it or pass it on.

Vaccination only depresses it much like the flu.

This is a fair point. I think it's still technically to be determined if the vaccine prevents a person from being infectious. I'm operating under the assumption that it does. If it doesn't prevent spread then it changes the moral calculation.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad