News Article: COVID 19 POSITIVITY THREAD: Useful links, hopeful news etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is a person I know that is successful (I really enjoy her company) but told me to with a strait face that Bill Gates has the patent on COVID and that's why its all happening.
Maybe you should ask her why she thinks Gates is spending hundreds of millions of dollars of his own money to combat COVID-19 in Africa and Asia through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Why would he try to mitigate the epidemic?

I think many people have always had psychological issues and paranoia, but they kept that to themselves. Now, with social media people find others with the same psychopathy and paranoia and it amplifies their beliefs and emboldens them to share them publicly.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The problem with that is they don't know where the spread is occurring. Earlier in the year they successfully used a targeted approach in Brandon because they saw the numbers were all coming from large gatherings. In Winnipeg there is so much community transmission of unknown origin so to keep things under control they feel they have to close the good with the bad.
That makes sense. For some reason I thought they had a better idea of where the spread was coming from.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There is a person I know that is successful (I really enjoy her company) but told me to with a strait face that Bill Gates has the patent on COVID and that's why its all happening.
Successful or smart doesn’t matter much. Sometimes there just isn’t any common sense. I sometimes have different beliefs but I think they are all based on common sense.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Maybe you should ask her why she thinks Gates is spending hundreds of millions of dollars of his own money to combat COVID-19 in Africa and Asia through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Why would he try to mitigate the epidemic?

I think many people have always had psychological issues and paranoia, but they kept that to themselves. Now, with social media people find others with the same psychopathy and paranoia and it amplifies their beliefs and emboldens them to share them publicly.
Absolutely, you can add many different topics to this phenomenon. Social media has made it easy to find tailor made echo chambers.

sorry off topic :)

Reactions: buggs

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I feel obligated to say that I also feel good about trusting this Pfizer vaccine as part of operation warp speed. I would like to know more about it, especially if it is a typical vaccine or if it actually alters your RNA, and I will be looking into it as my limitations permit, just to be on the safe side.

I would also like to say that if you are not a tinfoil hat person with the amount of information available, then you just aren't paying attention. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire (not always of course), which we tend to selectively forget at times.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Yeah. Not only that but advertising/social media algorithms couldn't be better designed for bringing these people together and pushing them towards more and more extreme beliefs.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Was gonna comment something else on the bolded but thought about it some more and would rather ask if you could elaborate on this?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Was gonna comment something else on the bolded but thought about it some more and would rather ask if you could elaborate on this?
Not much more to say. Just observing that people who are prone to conspiracy theories now connect to others that amplify them, rather than having them moderated by interactions with people not prone to paranoia / suspicion. It's a modern form of social contagion, with people choosing to be with others that share the same psychological characteristics and social views, often at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Over 340,000 new cases in the last two days in the US.
Illinois had well over 15,000 cases today.
"In an attempt to alleviate staffing concerns, North Dakota has taken the extraordinary step of allowing health-care workers with asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 to continue working in hospitals’ COVID-19 units and at nursing homes."

something something hell in a handbasket...

Last edited:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
If the NHL revenues hit $5 billion this year the players get back their 20% and maybe some extra money on top.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not much more to say. Just observing that people who are prone to conspiracy theories now connect to others that amplify them, rather than having them moderated by interactions with people not prone to paranoia / suspicion. It's a modern form of social contagion, with people choosing to be with others that share the same psychological characteristics and social views, often at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

No different than those taking a different view.
Just an observation.
Birds of a feather and all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I would have asked her but then I thought.......from the starting point of her reality to my world view what are the chances of getting this convo off the ground?

Then I opened a beer and changed the subject.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I feel obligated to say that I also feel good about trusting this Pfizer vaccine as part of operation warp speed. I would like to know more about it, especially if it is a typical vaccine or if it actually alters your RNA, and I will be looking into it as my limitations permit, just to be on the safe side.

I would also like to say that if you are not a tinfoil hat person with the amount of information available, then you just aren't paying attention. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire (not always of course), which we tend to selectively forget at times.
It does not alter your RNA or DNA. The 'm' in mRNA stands for 'messenger'. So the genetically-engineered mRNA vaccine sends a message to a person's cells to begin producing a protein that mimics the spike protein on the COVID virus. That triggers an antibody response to any similar spike protein, including the one on COVID-19. It's a platform that has never been used for vaccines before but, if it works, has broad application, including cancer research (which is where I believe it began).

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yup. Rather than try to see the views of others and maybe learn something new.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would have asked her but then I thought.......from the starting point of her reality to my world view what are the chances of getting this convo off the ground?

Then I opened a beer and changed the subject.
You just described most of my weekend encounters!

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
After locking down the first time.
We locked down got to 1 case.
Government asked people to play nice the majority did.
What else can they do?
Locking down again and again won’t work.
This virus is like whack a mole.
Can’t keep everything shuttered forever.
This virus doesn’t look like it will be controlled by anyone or anything.

Agree. Masking and social distancing went way down after the first wave. And covid numbers remained low for quite some time. In fact, We were the envy of many jurisdictions.
But it finally came back. Like it has in many places, restrictions or not.
Now we have some pretty heavy restrictions and the virus continues to rage and is only increasing.
It’s an inconvenient truth that there is an aspect of randomness across the globe with this virus.
It makes people nervous to think that we’re sometimes out of control of things, so we try everything to convince ourselves that we are. But in reality, we can’t always do that.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
As soon as this big wave was obvious (about 1 month ago), they could have shut it down with a brief / sharp intervention.

Yes they could have. But what happens when we open back up after that “brief” intervention? Does the virus just disappear, never to return?
We’ve learned that virus don’t do that. This one is no different.
So to be intellectually honest, the debate should really be either we shut it all down until a safe vaccine is available, or keep the economy wide open and hope the damage done by the virus is less than the emotional and economic damage ensuing from a full shutdown.

Reactions: robertocarlos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad