COVID-19 Part IV (not an election discussion topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Despite Illinois being in “tier 3”, there’s a bar at the end of my block that’s still open for indoor dining/drinking and doesn’t close until 1am. It also happens to be the backup police headquarters. This virus isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

It's not going anywhere until everyone is vaccinated. Until then, we've decided that we're okay with killing hundreds of thousands more Americans as long as our right to chug beers in crowded restaurants isn't inconvenienced.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The terminology is interesting. Back in February/March we were under a “shelter in place order”. Thought I’d be driving home after curfew through national guard checkpoints. Made it seem like the Russians were dropping paratroopers on us. We’re back on the same limitations minus “curfew” but Chicago is calling it a “stay at home advisory”.

You can’t actively fight this disease without governments going straight fascist. People suck.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's not going anywhere until everyone is vaccinated. Until then, we've decided that we're okay with killing hundreds of thousands more Americans as long as our right to chug beers in crowded restaurants isn't inconvenienced.
Yea it’s f***ing awful. I’m not trying to up play my trauma but I’m a guy who doesn’t get anxious. For a few months I dreaded driving to and from work and I was doing the right things.

Apparently for nothing.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Yea it’s f***ing awful. I’m not trying to up play my trauma but I’m a guy who doesn’t get anxious. For a few months I dreaded driving to and from work and I was doing the right things.

Apparently for nothing.

AAA estimates Thanksgiving travel will be down 10% this year during the pandemic. I repeat, 10%.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

tenor.gif

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I won’t comment much on the three previous individuals and their negative but not surprising generalized view of Americans. Personally, I find the broad brush statements to be offensive.

Your statement is more interesting historically. Generally speaking, empathy is easier than actual actions arising from empathy. Most cultures over the millennia only cared for the welfare of their own local community/-ies, slowly evolving into larger areas eventually into sizes and boarders representing countries. Interest in others beyond a local community was probably quite rare. Warring likely was more common.

It’s actually a modern invention whereby a society extends help to others far beyond its local limited boarders and shared interests. This is generally correlated to the more rapid dissemination of news, allowing a quicker response to needs of unrelated communities, as well as far greater ease of travel, particularly beginning in the 20th century. The distance and insulation of Time and (lack of) Information are minimized.

I view Americans as being overall incredibly generous with their time and resources, particularly when viewed in an historical and even evolutionary context. America as a whole typically is the first country that responds to far flung tragedies with funds, resources, and people, likely more than most any other.

On the ground in any community there are daily acts of kindness from simple to profound involving personal time and money/resources. It’s not hard to find if you care to look or perhaps even participate. Certainly, my peer group is incredibly involved in local to national concerns, donating time and money to many needy causes.

I mean, we're talking about wearing a mask properly when in public, and giving people their space. We're talking about giving up partying for a bit, to keep your friends and family safe. These aren't even acts of kindness or generosity. Nobody is asking people to donate their time or money to a cause, or to slow this pandemic. These are general tests of human decency, and not being a piece of shit. Tests a very sizable percentage of the country(and Western Civilization) is failing.

Last edited by a moderator:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I mean, we're talking about wearing a mask properly when in public, and giving people their space. We're talking about giving up partying for a bit, to keep your friends and family safe. These aren't even acts of kindness or generosity. Nobody is asking people to donate their time or money to a cause, or to slow this pandemic. These are general tests of human decency, and not being a piece of shit. Tests a very sizable percentage of the country(and Western Civilization) is failing.

Oh, and since you decided to bring age demographics into the discussion? The overwhelming majority of assholes I see wearing masks on their chin, below their nose, or refusing to wear a mask are.... over 50. The overwhelming majority of people I see downplaying the virus, not taking it seriously, and generally being pieces of shit...are over 50.

P.S. f*** investing in your job. Very few companies have loyalty for their workers, so why the f*** should anyone "invest in the job"? It's a job. A means to an end. About the only reward for "investing in the job" in this day and age, is pride in seeing the company do well. And when the company does well, shareholders that contribute absolutely nothing, get rich off of your hard work.

I will refer you back to the photo posted by hawksrule. Looks like a lot of old people there. The current infection rate in the 15 -40 age group is rapidly rising. They don’t care though...less likely to be symptomatic, let alone kill them. Let the old people die.

I spend my days with my face 6 inches from other people’s faces. Up to 50 patients a day. Incorrect mask wearing spans all generations, and I correct it all day long. However, I’ve yet to see a photo of octogenarians gathered without masks like that bar photo above.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I have definitely run into older folk in grocery stores, gyms and wherever that don't think they need to wear a mask. 20's and teens just tend to be more social and more likely to break the rules, as the numbers have pointed out the entire time, the vast majority of them are not severely impacted by Covid so I'm sure they feel invincible.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I won’t comment much on the three previous individuals and their negative but not surprising generalized view of Americans. Personally, I find the broad brush statements to be offensive.

Your statement is more interesting historically. Generally speaking, empathy is easier than actual actions arising from empathy. Most cultures over the millennia only cared for the welfare of their own local community/-ies, slowly evolving into larger areas eventually into sizes and boarders representing countries. Interest in others beyond a local community was probably quite rare. Warring likely was more common.

It’s actually a modern invention whereby a society extends help to others far beyond its local limited boarders and shared interests. This is generally correlated to the more rapid dissemination of news, allowing a quicker response to needs of unrelated communities, as well as far greater ease of travel, particularly beginning in the 20th century. The distance and insulation of Time and (lack of) Information are minimized.

I view Americans as being overall incredibly generous with their time and resources, particularly when viewed in an historical and even evolutionary context. America as a whole typically is the first country that responds to far flung tragedies with funds, resources, and people, likely more than most any other.

On the ground in any community there are daily acts of kindness from simple to profound involving personal time and money/resources. It’s not hard to find if you care to look or perhaps even participate. Certainly, my peer group is incredibly involved in local to national concerns, donating time and money to many needy causes.

Agreed, by any historical comparison things have gotten MUCH better.
I suggest everyone read Pinker's "Better Angels" book or listen to the audiobook.

Hard to argue with history.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Obviously, take this personal info how you will....

The Missus works in management for a big disaster relief non-profit. They just had a meeting yesterday rolling out the new COVID protocols. Tennessee, apparently, is on the pilot list for the Pfizer Vaccine and administration for that pilot is currently scheduled for mid January. Those who work in the health sector are set to receive it first, there's a big contract/paperwork/waiver that will be required for people to sign and at the moment the guaranteed effectiveness in that paperwork is for 3 months. It's a limited rollout too, only a certain amount gets divided between each county, not a public thing.

So, on the one hand exciting as some folks will get back into it with no stress but also the waivers & 3 month guarantee are underwhelming.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Obviously, take this personal info how you will....

The Missus works in management for a big disaster relief non-profit. They just had a meeting yesterday rolling out the new COVID protocols. Tennessee, apparently, is on the pilot list for the Pfizer Vaccine and administration for that pilot is currently scheduled for mid January. Those who work in the health sector are set to receive it first, there's a big contract/paperwork/waiver that will be required for people to sign and at the moment the guaranteed effectiveness in that paperwork is for 3 months. It's a limited rollout too, only a certain amount gets divided between each county, not a public thing.

So, on the one hand exciting as some folks will get back into it with no stress but also the waivers & 3 month guarantee are underwhelming.

So they are saying the vaccine is not guaranteed to work beyond three months or am I not reading this correctly.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Qantas just announced that passengers will need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for international flights. This is a disgrace. Hopefully other airlines won't follow suit.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Qantas just announced that passengers will need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for international flights. This is a disgrace. Hopefully other airlines won't follow suit.

Are you an anti-vaxxer? Why is it a disgrace? There's currently a global pandemic. If you don't want to get vaccinated for it once a viable vaccine is out, then I guess you don't travel internationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad