COVID-19 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Didn't McCain want Leiberman and got talked out of it?

As far as I recall, yes.

Will look it up to check.

EDIT:

In his new book, "The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations," McCain described his regret over not adding Lieberman, a Democrat-turned-Independent, to his ticket at the urging of his advisors.

"They were giving me their best counsel. It was sound advice that I could reason for myself," McCain wrote. "But my gut told me to ignore it, and I wished I had."

Joe Lieberman unaware of John McCain's 2008 regret until new book

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Disgruntled because the president kept undercutting the task force’s work? I mean, she flat out said she felt their work wasn’t mattering with Trump in charge. So ya, I’d imagine that would make someone justifiably disgruntled.

Also, Pence thought so highly of her that she was his top aide on the task force he ran...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Is listening to your party’s top political advisers on a strictly political decision proof of bad leadership?

McCain was what, 77 years old or something during his campaign? He wanted a rockstar entrance with his VP pick and he absolutely got it. That Palin-McCain campaign was on fire after her night at the RNC and for a few weeks after IIRC.

Then when everyone realized what her intelligence level was and that if McCain died she’d be the leader of the free world...not so much.

McCain going with a more neutral VP pick would’ve been a nice olive branch to the Dems had he won and could’ve had various trickle down effects that we could only dream of today in regards to political civility. But instead he wanted “Shock and Awe” and it probably cost him the election.

Side note: f*** Joe Lieberman. He was a huge “videogames cause violence” guy back in the 90’s and I’ll never like him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
McCain was what, 77 years old or something during his campaign? He wanted a rockstar entrance with his VP pick and he absolutely got it. That Palin-McCain campaign was on fire after her night at the RNC and for a few weeks after IIRC.

Then when everyone realized what her intelligence level was and that if McCain died she’d be the leader of the free world...not so much.

McCain going with a more neutral VP pick would’ve been a nice olive branch to the Dems had he won and could’ve had various trickle down effects that we could only dream of today in regards to political civility. But instead he wanted “Shock and Awe” and it probably cost him the election.

Side note: f*** Joe Lieberman. He was a huge “videogames cause violence” guy back in the 90’s and I’ll never like him.
71 when he ran. I believe he was pretty clearly behind at that point in the campaign and wanted to do something bold. Obviously that blew up in his face and he has to wear that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Shows what a strong leader McCain was. Not

Tillerson, Kelly, McMaster, Mattis, Bolton, Powell, etc., etc. Trump appointed these guys to the most important positions in the country (much more important than VP, which is a meaningless job), before turning on each and every one of them, saying they suck and are overrated and unqualified and don't know what they're doing. But I'm sure you consider it strong leadership for Trump to hire people he thinks suck and are unqualified.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
What’s your thought on the other part though? The hiring and firing of supposedly so many incompetent people in the cabinet.

I don't think many were incompetent and certainly don't think many were fired for incompetence. I think Trump sees a role for someone and they either fullfill the role or they don't. Even if they fulfill the role, after a time they are replaced by someone that Trump thinks is more suited for his next vision of the position.

Those incompetents have overseen some pretty significant foreign policy and trade advances.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't think many were incompetent and certainly don't think many were fired for incompetence. I think Trump sees a role for someone and they either fullfill the role or they don't. Even if they fulfill the role, after a time they are replaced by someone that Trump thinks is more suited for his next vision of the position.

Those incompetents have overseen some pretty significant foreign policy and trade advances.

I think that’s a pretty realistic analysis of what’s happening.

Also, it’s pretty shitty of the guy to throw these people under the bus the way he does. It just creates an environment where nobody is loyal, and everyone is looking over their shoulder. Oh, and where people leak like crazy to save their own asses once Trump decides they’re no longer valuable to him.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

It’s your guy who hired them who is calling them incompetents. The irony seems lost on you.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

6CD5EB9E-7384-40AD-BB1C-CC3758F37550.jpeg

upload_2020-9-18_11-31-4.gif

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I guess nobody should be surprised that Trump is now promising every American will have an available anti-virus shot by April 2021. A vaccine that hasn't been approved for use yet, FFS.

This is not fact, it is a prediction that is merely wishful thinking. The CDC director Redfield disagrees - said just yesterday it would be the end of the 2nd or in the 3rd quarter at the earliest with no mention of availability.

Meanwhile yesterday there were some 1600 deaths recorded, the most ever since the virus was first detected in America. And Trump continues to defy experts' recommendations by holding pre-election rallies with little or no social distancing. Yeah, he's a good president alright. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad