OT: Covid-19 (Part 41) There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
@Tough Au Lit just to respond to the article you linked me, it's interesting but it's also not saying what you are saying

it does say a high percentage means we require more testing but that's it, it's not saying that it's hiding or deflating numbers... It's also not saying that the usual sample size calculation doesn't apply anymore, for a 15M to get a 1% margin of error you need to be at around 10k tests and they tested about 45k yesterday, so testing twice as much probably won't suddenly tell you that the actual positive rate is at 17% for some reason, it would still be around 10%~

or maybe i'm missing the point you're trying to make entirely, idk

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Mass vaccination center in France forced to close after just 58 people turn up
AZ is popular across the world.

Guidance on Johnson & Johnson vaccine could come in days with some restrictions, US surgeon general says
US Surgeon General on J&J vaccine:
"The more than 7 million people, who have gotten the vaccine, will be fine," he said Monday. "It's also important to note that this is the safety system working. A signal was seen, it's being investigated. That's what you want — to know your vaccines are both safe and effective."

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

She make it sounds nicer than it is. Medical justice is pretty ruthless there is time limit on top of the original chance of survival assessment, for example if you don't show signs of improvement after 2* weeks you become candidate to be kicked out of the ICU if a bed is needed.

*= not sure if that's the threshold in Ontario.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
She make it sounds nicer than it is. Medical justice is pretty ruthless there is time limit on top of the original chance of survival assessment, for example if you don't show signs of improvement after 2* weeks you become candidate to be kicked out of the ICU if a bed is needed.

Must be gut-wrenching for the front-line health workers making these decisions... ptsd inducing.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

I knew there was an algorithm in place, but never thought it would come to this point - being so close to it being used.
Imagine, in Canada, removed from life support ... no consent needed.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I knew there was an algorithm in place, but never thought it would come to this point - being so close to it being used.
Imagine, in Canada, removed from life support ... no consent needed.

That's the whole protocol for Quebec if you want to read it, I'm sure the same is available for Ontario somewhere.

And glad we never had to use it, because this is where I always drew the line, if you can't give cares to people who need cares, then you failed miserably in managing this crisis.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I watched a video on YT where this guy was not allowed to buy something in a store because he refused to wear a mask, then he went and came back in a car sitting with a megaphone taunting people with masks until a guy got mad and smashed his side window. Somehow it felt refreshing to watch.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

The Quebec triage system is even harsher than what you describe. There'd be a daily evaluation of who's in the COVID ICU and who's waiting for an ICU BED. Depending in a scoring system that takes into account age, prior health conditions, etc. someone could get kicked out from the ICU to give the bed to someone else.

Reevaluated daily, not after 2 weeks.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I watched a video on YT where this guy was not allowed to buy something in a store because he refused to wear a mask, then he went and came back in a car sitting with a megaphone taunting people with masks until a guy got mad and smashed his side window. Somehow it felt refreshing to watch.
Would like to see that!

/ hint

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal

Terrible news, haven't they been on lockdown for 3 weeks now? How are cases still over 4K?
Ontario is a shit show. And reading all provinces might close their borders with BC to make sure the Brazilian variants doesn't make its way everywhere. And apparently the Indian variant is already here?

**** this Monday.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Completely OT and on the lighter side... how cool is it that we are able to send a drone/helicopter to Mars (180 million miles) and record its first flight!!

GOXLULIQGFGFZORJGC6WYLWTVQ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad