OT: Covid-19 (Part 35) Hit me with your best shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Curious, suppose you're in contact with someone who has the virus in the morning, are you immediately contagious yourself or does it take like a day to get in your system and start being contagious?

Coronavirus Incubation Period

Researchers estimate that people who get infected with the coronavirus can spread it to others 2 to 3 days before symptoms start and are most contagious 1 to 2 days before they feel sick.

It takes about 5 days before having symptoms

Imo. In the first day. You shouldn't be contagious (producing the virus). Unless you transfer the catched virus to someone else.

Reactions: Runner77

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Manufacturing sector is also wide open.

My mom is still being called in to sew suits, but we have long told them to f*** off.
Yeah didn't want to clutter my post with all the exceptions, manufacturing being a big one, sorry about that, respect for that sector as well (hi dad!). We're not fully closed yet.

ON TO PART 36!

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Coronavirus Incubation Period

Researchers estimate that people who get infected with the coronavirus can spread it to others 2 to 3 days before symptoms start and are most contagious 1 to 2 days before they feel sick.

It takes about 5 days before having symptoms

Imo. In the first day. You shouldn't be contagious (producing the virus). Unless you transfer the catched virus to someone else.

I'm just wondering, in a very nutcase way...

What happens if suppose you wanted to do stuff on Saturday. Nice summer day, day off.

You get tested in the morning, get results a few hours later and then you have carte blanche to do whatever for rest of the day ONLY with other tested people. Suppose confirmation of your good result comes with a badge linked to your ID.

Hypothetically, wouldn't that make gatherings possible if you follow this method. You can't transit the virus yet.

This is assuming tests are 100% accurate of course.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal

What happens if suppose you wanted to do stuff on Saturday. Nice summer day, day off.

You get tested in the morning, get results a few hours later and then you have carte blanche to do whatever for rest of the day ONLY with other tested people. Suppose confirmation of your good result comes with a badge linked to your ID.

Hypothetically, wouldn't that make gatherings possible if you follow this method. You can't transit the virus yet.

Reactions: llamateizer

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
So if my research is right, the vaccine does not prevent catching or spreading COVID, it just lessens symptoms if you get it? Anyone else read that? And masks and social distancing still necessary after getting the jab?

What's the point then? Shouldn't only the weak, old and vulnerable get it then?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Y'know, just your regular mom and pop gold mine (don't worry @Stoneburg, I got your point)

• Arruda was showed as being an attention wh*re in front of half the Quebec at the Bye-Bye
  • A lot of people keep saying Public Health and Government should be safe distancing
  • We're at a point in COVID fatigue where some people don't want to hear Arruda or Legault and follow their guidance anymore. Both of them are on thin ice for Quebecers to respect the safety measures they are asking for
  • And yeah the had their disagreements, I'm sure a lot more than what we've heard so far.
  • I'm sure Horacio will be there when it counts, but I don't mind him having a low profile at the moment tbh. I like the guy but it became too much of him rather than Public Health. I want science and facts.
I don't really care if he was an attention whore, I still respect his actual advice, that's all that matters.
We know back in October he never recommended the closure of gyms/restaurants, and looking at his previous directives, I have a tough time believing he would actually advise for schools to reopen now as hospitalizations are reaching a very alarming rate.
Maybe Legault told him they're opening schools, no debate, give the best recommendation to do this is the safest way possible and that's where the curfew came from.
We don't know, they aren't really explaining the thought process behind their decisions.

I just find it odd they silenced him and replaced MacCann with an accountant in Dube.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

If everyone is under 2 days. That would offer some kind of protection ( or highly reduced risk)

I believe the concept of bubble is based on that approach.

So if my research is right, the vaccine does not prevent catching or spreading COVID, it just lessens symptoms if you get it? Anyone else read that? And masks and social distancing still necessary after getting the jab?

1- we would never reach immunity
2- vaccine isn't 100%, vulnerable could die
3- having less severe infection reduces the viral load, less contagious
4- not everyone can take the vaccine. A vulnerable who has severe allergy reaction. We let him die? Immunocompromised.
5- less pneumonia/respiratory infection/myocarditis (15% athlete with Covid had myocarditis)

Hopefully it'll be categorized along with measles or smallpox

Jul 6, 2016

Vaccine takes time - a good 10 days - to be fully effective, like any other flu vaccines. Yes, you can still get COVID during that period. After that, it's 90% safe that you won't.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

No.

We don't know what the vaccines are doing yet, we'll know more in 4-5 months.
Like most vaccines, it's probably a mix of attenuation, contagion mitigation and immunization - and that will make the virus much rarer, real quick if the Rnaught can be reduced to under 1, but maybe under 0.8-0.7 (and lower).

Will you be sick?
It depends on the viral load you receive.
It depends on your immune systems.
It depends.
People of every age should get the vaccine so that weaker individuals can be protected by the herd.

Wearing masks after getting the vaccine will still be necessary for a period of time (the fighting period while building the herd's immunity), in 8-9 months, much less.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Public Health will always prefer a full lockdown. It's the easiest way to reduce cases.

At same time, economy driven staff will be against that.

As the guy in charge you're not always going to side with one group. Legault seems to be trying to get both things under control. It's obvious but will it work?

I think Legault is also doing this with his political career in the back of his mind where he's trying to remain somewhat popular.

Arruda wasn't for restaurants/gym closures back in October, I'm not so sure they would recommend curfew either, not at the same time they reopen schools. They're generally consistent in their logic.
Schools are big factors in the spread, they know this, but still moving forward with the reopening.
Legault said he's taking a calculated gamble with this, but that's not true. If it was calculated, he'd have kept them shut longer.
He's just hoping the curfew will compensate for the cases we get from schools.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I don't really care if he was an attention whore, I still respect his actual advice, that's all that matters.
We know back in October he never recommended the closure of gyms/restaurants, and looking at his previous directives, I have a tough time believing he would actually advise for schools to reopen now as hospitalizations are reaching a very alarming rate.
Maybe Legault told him they're opening schools, no debate, give the best recommendation to do this is the safest way possible and that's where the curfew came from.
We don't know, they aren't really explaining the thought process behind their decisions.

I just find it odd they silenced him and replaced MacCann with an accountant in Dube.

McCann was horrible. She looked lost during press conferences.

Dubé knows how to talk the media.

I'm sure that McCann was doing the job properly. But the message was not delivered.

Reactions: DavePeak

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just FYI, a friend of mine is an engineering consultant, he had a job at a remote gold mine, this was last summer, they had private fast testing upon arrival. Upon clearance, there were no COVID precautions inside, everyone lived, worked, and played inside the bubble. So it is possible to set up a corporate testing facility.
The company I worked for in Saudi Arabia had tests during the summer too, I assume they still do. I know it's available.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I'm sure that McCann was doing the job properly. But the message was not delivered.

He does? Everytime I see him he's holding up a stupid little board like it's a kid's science project.
But I don't care if he knows how to speak to the media, this isn't a PR exercise. Call me crazy but the Minister of Health should have a background in...health.
McCann at least was in the position for a few years.

Last edited:

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I think Legault is also doing this with his political career in the back of his mind where he's trying to remain somewhat popular.
Not a bash against Trudeau, but Legault doesn’t have to think he’ll be in election mode any time soon.

I loved the « I’m writing it down and will talk to the ones in charge » attitude from McCann whenever she answered questions, but Dubé is doing a great PR job so far. Nobody knows if he would have been that good back in March in the same role, probably not though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

We just discussed that the previous page...

There is no confirmation either way if the vaccine has a sterilizing immunity (meaning destroying the virus before it establish itself). We need more data to make a conclusion.

We do know it blocks symptomatic infections pretty well though, which is good as even "healthy young adults" can have pretty nasty symptoms. Although there's not enough data on the subject, a milder infection would logically lead to a lesser chance of long term damage.

There's also the fact that old people have a weaker immune system, so there should be more chances the vaccine fail on them. You also have some immunocompromised people that either can't take the vaccine or it will a lot less effective.

You are taking the vaccine to protect yourself from symptoms and protect the vulnerable with herd immunity. The sterilizing immunity would be a bonus at this point.

If I had to bet, I would say it does have a partial sterilizing immunity, meaning it reduces asymptomatic as well, just not 95% like it does symptomatic infections. That's just an educated guess though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He does? Everytime I see him he's holding up a stupid little board like it's a kid's science project.
But I don't care if he knows how to speak to the media, this isn't a PR exercise. Call me crazy but the Minister of Health should have a background in...health.
McCann at least was in the position for a few years.

Most scientists would make terrible politicians.

Scientists and doctors also have a tendency (especially since they start working so late due to lengthy education) to work until they are pretty old, at which point many don't want to go into politics or would not be as welcomed as the old politicians that have been doing it for years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Most scientists would make terrible politicians.

Scientists and doctors also have a tendency (especially since they start working so late due to lengthy education) to work until they are pretty old, at which point many don't want to go into politics or would not be as welcomed as the old politicians that have been doing it for years.

I don't care for them to be politicians right now. I want public health recommendations and if the politicians are going against them, I want to know why.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't care for them to be politicians right now. I want public health recommendations and if the politicians are going against them, I want to know why.

Many people under the minister have a health background and are the one giving reports to the minister.

Then politics comes in and it gets complicated.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Many people under the minister have a health background and are the one giving reports to the minister.

Then politics comes in and it gets complicated.
Yes well I'd like to know what these politics are if they end up being deciding factors for measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad