OT: Covid-19 (Part 35) Hit me with your best shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
What's the point of a stay-at-home order if you can still get out for:
1- Essential services (Hospitals, clinics, Police station, etc)
2- Groceries/Booze/Drugs
3- Non-essential pick ups
4- Exercising
5- Gather outside limited to 5 for events/activities

...I mean..so much for the stay-at-home order.
Sorry you can't get to your booty call anymore Kriss:naughty:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm not so sure that they would actually, just like this wasn't an open and shut case. Let's stop pretend like it's as easy as you make it sound: ''Hey man just pay for your own tests and staff and you could to go!''.
Heck, some private health clinics aren't even open so no I really don't it's as simple as A-B-C.

And really, you're going to equate this to conspiracists anti-masks/vax dumbasses?? :facepalm:
It's a terrible comparison anyways. Every single adult in the country has to wear a mask. That's the point.

The NHL negotiated with the provinces. We have yet to see any company attempt that and have the structure to achieve it.

All this aside, I do think rapid testing is important but its not super accurate. In the future, I could see companies having to adapt and do what they can to ensure business can be run smoothly. There is a big market for finding solutions, this might be one of those solutions. As of now, its just not ready and we're at capacity.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The NHL negotiated with the provinces. We have yet to see any company attempt that and have the structure to achieve it.

All this aside, I do think rapid testing is important but its not super accurate. In the future, I could see companies having to adapt and do what they can to ensure business can be run smoothly. There is a big market for finding solutions, this might be one of those solutions. As of now, its just not ready and we're at capacity.

Who knows really. I don't think we have too much information about any of this.
I think it's also very odd Dr. Arruda has been very quiet. He barely ever speaks anymore. I think there was a split between Legault and public health. Not sure if they saw eye-to-eye on this, but I'm sure they've had a lot of disagreements going back a few months.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I'm not so sure that they would actually, just like this wasn't an open and shut case. Let's stop pretend like it's as easy as you make it sound: ''Hey man just pay for your own tests and staff and you could to go!''.
Heck, some private health clinics aren't even open so no I really don't it's as simple as A-B-C.

And really, you're going to equate this to conspiracists anti-masks/vax dumbasses?? :facepalm:
It's a terrible comparison anyways. Every single adult in the country has to wear a mask. That's the point.

Just FYI, a friend of mine is an engineering consultant, he had a job at a remote gold mine, this was last summer, they had private fast testing upon arrival. Upon clearance, there were no COVID precautions inside, everyone lived, worked, and played inside the bubble. So it is possible to set up a corporate testing facility.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I believe argument was that people may get infected but should not develop major complications based on current data. Even with two doses there is no confirmation one cannot get "infected" or become a spreader.

Btw, that woman and her dog husband were on the local news here in Portland this morning. :)

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Just FYI, a friend of mine is an engineering consultant, he had a job at a remote gold mine, this was last summer, they had private fast testing upon arrival. Upon clearance, there were no COVID precautions inside, everyone lived, worked, and played inside the bubble. So it is possible to set up a corporate testing facility.
vast majority of businesses around the world are small businesses you know...

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Saw that coming. The data on one dose immunity was so limited so I was puzzled when they were using it as a justification.

Does 2 doses make you immune or simply raise the level of effectiveness against harsher symptoms that cause death?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
thanks for that. I’ll be honest, I’m fishing for information, I already knew the answer was no.

But that's not the right answer.

There is not enough data to conclude whether it blocks asymptomatic infections. That doesn't mean it doesn't block it.

Of course, no vaccine has a 100% efficacy so if that was your question, then no 100%.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It's 95% effective against symptomatic infections.

They don't have enough data about asymptomatic infections to make a statement.

Granted it’s impossible to detect asymptomatic cases in the general pop, however I wonder if athletes and others who are tested regularly can be studied. For example Ronaldo was asymptomatic considering he was showing videos of himself training while in quarantine. I’m also hearing Cuadrado is also asymptomatic.

Then why in the post that I quoted you mentioned immunity? I was under the impression no mRNA vaccine would offer immunity, it was only there to help reduce the symptoms that lead to death. Maybe I’m misrepresenting what you mean by immunity.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think it's also very odd Dr. Arruda has been very quiet. He barely ever speaks anymore. I think there was a split between Legault and public health. Not sure if they saw eye-to-eye on this, but I'm sure they've had a lot of disagreements going back a few months.

Public Health will always prefer a full lockdown. It's the easiest way to reduce cases.

At same time, economy driven staff will be against that.

As the guy in charge you're not always going to side with one group. Legault seems to be trying to get both things under control. It's obvious but will it work?

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
But that's not the right answer.

There is not enough data to conclude whether it blocks asymptomatic infections. That doesn't mean it doesn't block it.

Of course, no vaccine has a 100% efficacy so if that was your question, then no 100%.

I know the vaccine is not 100% effective. I understand that, specifically Pfizer, has a 95% efficacy from their testing when 2 doses are administered within 28 days, which I also know the Quebec government said a nice big f*** you to Pfizer....

If I can make my question clearer, in fact I believe you’ve already answers it, is what can we expect from the vaccine going forward. If patients who are vaccinated are still getting infected, still spreading it, then our hope is that enough people get it, while vaccinated, that it does not over run our hospitals, and eventually this will have spread to everyone and eventually be a small nuance that we no longer care about. “Oh is that a covid cough?” “Ya it’s been lingering for a few weeks now, I’m sure I’m not contagious anymore. Are you vaccinated? Ok no worries then”

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Granted it’s impossible to detect asymptomatic cases in the general pop, however I wonder if athletes and others who are tested regularly can be studied. For example Ronaldo was asymptomatic considering he was showing videos of himself training while in quarantine. I’m also hearing Cuadrado is also asymptomatic.

Then why in the post that I quoted you mentioned immunity? I was under the impression no mRNA vaccine would offer immunity, it was only there to help reduce the symptoms that lead to death. Maybe I’m misrepresenting what you mean by immunity.

I should have used prevention or protection.

What you ideally want is what you call a "sterilizing immunity" which means the immune system can eradicate the virus before it establish itself.

What we know of the current vaccines is that they are very efficient at preventing symptoms. However, the sterilizing immunity is still unsure.

mRNA vaccine have the same potential to elicit sterilizing immunity than the classical inactivated virus vaccine.

I know the vaccine is not 100% effective. I understand that, specifically Pfizer, has a 95% efficacy from their testing when 2 doses are administered within 28 days, which I also know the Quebec government said a nice big f*** you to Pfizer....

If I can make my question clearer, in fact I believe you’ve already answers it, is what can we expect from the vaccine going forward. If patients who are vaccinated are still getting infected, still spreading it, then our hope is that enough people get it, while vaccinated, that it does not over run our hospitals, and eventually this will have spread to everyone and eventually be a small nuance that we no longer care about. “Oh is that a covid cough?” “Ya it’s been lingering for a few weeks now, I’m sure I’m not contagious anymore. Are you vaccinated? Ok no worries then”

You wouldn't even have a cough if you are asymptomatic, as that is a symptom. Asymptomatic is basically like normal but you have a little bit of virus inside.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

Yeah, I know, I operate a small business. Follow the conversation.

My point is, it is possible for companies to do their own testing. Several posters said it was not, more or less. But no, not for small business.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, I know, I operate a small business. Follow the conversation.

My point is, it is possible for companies to do their own testing. Several posters said it was not, more or less. But no, not for small business.
lol you're taking this shit seriously arent you...

I wasnt quoting the whole thread btw, just this specific posts.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Does 2 doses make you immune or simply raise the level of effectiveness against harsher symptoms that cause death?

They are in a blind zone right now. Messing around with the time between doses wasn't included in the trials, participants got their 2nd dose 21 days after the first and that's it, they don't have much data to go on about the efficiency of the 1st dose beyond 21 days.
In hindsight messing around with the time between shot should have been included in the trials, but I guess it never occurred to Pzifer/Moderna that health officials would stop following science and decide on their own when was the "appropriate" time to give the 2nd dose.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Y'know, just your regular mom and pop gold mine (don't worry @Stoneburg, I got your point)
  • Arruda was showed as being an attention wh*re in front of half the Quebec at the Bye-Bye
  • A lot of people keep saying Public Health and Government should be safe distancing
  • We're at a point in COVID fatigue where some people don't want to hear Arruda or Legault and follow their guidance anymore. Both of them are on thin ice for Quebecers to respect the safety measures they are asking for
  • And yeah the had their disagreements, I'm sure a lot more than what we've heard so far.
  • I'm sure Horacio will be there when it counts, but I don't mind him having a low profile at the moment tbh. I like the guy but it became too much of him rather than Public Health. I want science and facts.
Public Health will always prefer a full lockdown. It's the easiest way to reduce cases.

At same time, economy driven staff will be against that.

As the guy in charge you're not always going to side with one group. Legault seems to be trying to get both things under control. It's obvious but will it work?
Wasn't Arruda (and Public Health) against closing all restaurants at some point, so less severe than what the government decided?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Wasn't Arruda (and Public Health) against closing all restaurants at some point, so less severe than what the government decided?

I don't know his current stance but if the alarm is ringing on hospital beds now they may have switched their tune. I don't know. I was merely responding to the speculation that there's a divide.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I don't know his current stance but if the alarm is ringing on hospital beds now they may have switched their tune. I don't know. I was merely responding to the speculation that there's a divide.
Well, except the major choice of leaving schools open, there is not much left to close except construction, so the divide must not be that bad at the moment. I agree with you that Legault keeps economy in mind, but at the same time didn't hesitate too much to close everything down again (maybe a bit late).

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Curious, suppose you're in contact with someone who has the virus in the morning, are you immediately contagious yourself or does it take like a day to get in your system and start being contagious?

Reactions: DavePeak

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Well, except the major choice of leaving schools open, there is not much left to close except construction, so the divide must not be that bad at the moment. I agree with you that Legault keeps economy in mind, but at the same time didn't hesitate too much to close everything down again (maybe a bit late).
Manufacturing sector is also wide open.

My mom is still being called in to sew suits, but we have long told them to f*** off.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad