OT: Covid-19 (Part 35) Hit me with your best shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again, I said the habs should play within operating hours and not after curfew. That I agree with.

You're upset they get private testing. That is not 'getting a pass'. Any company can employ nurses and a lab to do testing for them. That part has nothing to do with government.
Dude are you trolling? How many times do I need to post that I'm perfectly happy and not upset???
HERE:

I'm perfectly HAPPY seeing hockey back on TV.

I'm not upset they get private testing, I don't give two craps about it because I want hockey back.
I'm saying optics are bad and some are upset over it. The rich get access to things others don't. Fine during every day life, not so cool during a pandemic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's not like hockey players gain any additional privileges. They can't go to clubs or shop after hours; everything's closed. The only thing they're doing after 8:00pm is working.

The only people gaining any social benefit from hockey is us. We get to watch it.

Another factor: TV revenue is much higher for evening games than mid-day.
Not sure we're getting much social benefit, the players definitely are...they get to chill with all the guys around the rink while the rest have to social distance even outside.
We do gain some entertainment though...thank god for that.

Mid-day games don't make sense. Most people are still working, they just do it from home.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Not sure we're getting much social benefit, the players definitely are...they get to chill with all the guys around the rink while the rest have to social distance even outside.
We do gain some entertainment though...thank god for that.

Mid-day games don't make sense. Most people are still working, they just do it from home.
Yeah, "Social" was the wrong word. I should've used "Leisure" or "Entertainment". The only social activity we'll get from hockey will be the GDTs on this board.

Watching hockey at a bar or restaurant was one of my regular social things. It's going to be tough. Good chance we'll be watching the first half of this season alone.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's absurd to care at what time they play. If you like and watch hockey, it makes it easier to be home if a game is on. If you don't care about hockey, then why should that person care how they spend their private money? I guess they are upset that some part of the population get's special treatment... it took a world pandemic to notice that? Seriously we are such a stupid species.
People are very aware of the difference money can make. There's nothing surprising here.
Some people (not me) are just upset that this still happens during a pandemic. When a deadly humanitarian crisis happens, expectation is everyone is treated equally. The NHL is not an essential service, yet their money gets them a pass. That's what pisses some people off.
While I understand their point, we live in a world where connections are everything. Networking is everything. Even money comes after that.
I'm very happy hockey is back.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah, "Social" was the wrong word. I should've used "Leisure" or "Entertainment". The only social activity we'll get from hockey will be the GDTs on this board.

Watching hockey at a bar or restaurant was one of my regular social things. It's going to be tough. Good chance we'll be watching the first half of this season alone.

HF has been a major social help that's for sure.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm not upset they get private testing, I don't give two craps about it because I want hockey back.
I'm saying optics are bad and some are upset over it. The rich get access to things others don't. Fine during every day life, not so cool during a pandemic.

Again, it's a private company.

This isn't privilege only afforded to the NHL. ANY manufacturing, construction, distribution, etc... company can test their employees and fit the bill.

If you have a complaint, it should be with OTHER big corporations who don't do the same. The government never ever ever ever ever told a business they can't front the bill for their own private testing for the same X number of people(hockey team+staff size).

No one wants to. Most businesses are content making people work from home...its cheaper.

The problem is gyms, restaurants, bars, etc... are not suited for this type of testing. It's not instant. People will not wait at your door during winter for an extended period while test is analyzed. Not to mention, its not 50 people. It's hundreds for every single establishment.

There isn't even enough capacity for that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Good to hear you're home safe and ticket-free, but why were you in the hospital?
I was under observation for an anxiety disorder. My panic attacks can go on for several days. I can register 180/100 BP-wise during those and they're saying it not good for me long-term (doh).

They usually just sedate me and don't do anything else.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again, it's a private company.

This isn't privilege only afforded to the NHL. ANY manufacturing, construction, distribution, etc... company can test their employees and fit the bill.

If you have a complaint, it should be with OTHER big corporations who don't do the same. The government never ever ever ever ever told a business they can't front the bill for their own private testing for the same X number of people(hockey team+staff size).

No one wants to. Most businesses are content making people work from home...its cheaper.

The problem is gyms, restaurants, bars, etc... are not suited for this type of testing. It's not instant. People will not wait at your door during winter for an extended period while test is analyzed. Not to mention, its not 50 people. It's hundreds for every single establishment.

There isn't even enough capacity for that.

Optics: the way in which an event or course of action is perceived by the public.

I've never disagreed with anything you bring up.
Businesses aren't even allowed to operate if they want to set their capacity to one client inside.
Let's stop acting like we are privy to all the confirmation and information.

Like I said, optics aren't good, that's all.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Optics: the way in which an event or course of action is perceived by the public.

I've never disagreed with anything you bring up.
Businesses aren't even allowed to operate if they want to set their capacity to one client inside.
Let's stop acting like we are privy to all the confirmation and information.

Like I said, optics aren't good, that's all.

Optics are fine.

I’m sure anti maskers think the government is trying to repress them too and that the “optics” are bad.

who cares?

private companies have private staff. If any other company wants to do this and negotiate with government they can.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Dude are you trolling? How many times do I need to post that I'm perfectly happy and not upset???
HERE:

this will never change regardless the situation

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Optics are fine.

I’m sure anti maskers think the government is trying to repress them too and that the “optics” are bad.

who cares?

private companies have private staff. If any other company wants to do this and negotiate with government they can.
I'm not so sure that they would actually, just like this wasn't an open and shut case. Let's stop pretend like it's as easy as you make it sound: ''Hey man just pay for your own tests and staff and you could to go!''.
Heck, some private health clinics aren't even open so no I really don't it's as simple as A-B-C.

And really, you're going to equate this to conspiracists anti-masks/vax dumbasses?? :facepalm:
It's a terrible comparison anyways. Every single adult in the country has to wear a mask. That's the point.

Last edited:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Ontario is in "lockdown" stay at home order.
You can gather "Outdoor organized public gatherings and social gatherings are further restricted to a limit of five people "

We need people to only go out only for essential trips to pick up groceries or go to medical appointments.
All non-essential retail stores [...] must open no earlier than 7 a.m. and close no later than 8 p.m.

I'm confused.

Ontario Newsroom | Salle de presse de l'Ontario

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
You can gather "Outdoor organized public gatherings and social gatherings are further restricted to a limit of five people "

We need people to only go out only for essential trips to pick up groceries or go to medical appointments.
All non-essential retail stores [...] must open no earlier than 7 a.m. and close no later than 8 p.m.

I'm confused.

Quebec and Ontario have a lot in common in their measures but also many differences now... must be fun for our Gatineau/Ottawa friends...

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

I'm confused.

It’s not all that confusing, you shouldn’t be leaving the house unless it is for essential work or you are getting essential goods.

Nothing has changed for me because I’m considered essential and I don’t leave my house other than for work. So, yeah, don’t care.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It’s not all that confusing, you shouldn’t be leaving the house unless it is for essential work or you are getting essential goods.

Nothing has changed for me because I’m considered essential and I don’t leave my house other than for work. So, yeah, don’t care.
here'S the confusion : All non-essential retail stores [...] must open no earlier than 7 a.m. and close no later than 8 p.m.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
here'S the confusion : All non-essential retail stores [...] must open no earlier than 7 a.m. and close no later than 8 p.m.

Non Essential in this case refers to any retail stores not selling essential items (food, medicine, etc) and offering curb side pick up.

I would agree, it’s a bit of a stupid idea.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Non Essential in this case refers to any retail stores not selling essential items (food, medicine, etc) and offering curb side pick up.

I would agree, it’s a bit of a stupid idea.

What's the point of a stay-at-home order if you can still get out for:
1- Essential services (Hospitals, clinics, Police station, etc)
2- Groceries/Booze/Drugs
3- Non-essential pick ups
4- Exercising
5- Gather outside limited to 5 for events/activities

...I mean..so much for the stay-at-home order.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Saw that coming. The data on one dose immunity was so limited so I was puzzled when they were using it as a justification.

I believe argument was that people may get infected but should not develop major complications based on current data. Even with two doses there is no confirmation one cannot get "infected" or become a spreader.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What's the point of a stay-at-home order if you can still get out for:
1- Essential services (Hospitals, clinics, Police station, etc)
2- Groceries/Booze/Drugs
3- Non-essential pick ups
4- Exercising
5- Gather outside limited to 5 for events/activities

...I mean..so much for the stay-at-home order.

It’s another total half measure, I get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad