OT: Covid-19 (Part 35) Hit me with your best shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I've been involved in working on a modelling software for QC and we're showing 5K+ per day by the end of the month. Granted, this is a prototype so far.

That wouldn't be that surprising, depending on the number we rolled on the holidays dice.

Reactions: MasterD

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-1-3_13-18-17.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
At this point I fully expect everything to reopen on the 11th, the government fully satisfied of being able to say they tried but the populace didn't listen.

We will never get a true lockdown that would change something, a lockdown with teeth.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
At this point I fully expect everything to reopen on the 11th, the government fully satisfied of being able to say they tried but the populace didn't listen.

We will never get a true lockdown that would change something, a lockdown with teeth.
I don't see how they reopen. They closed schools ahead of time and delayed the return so cases can improve, but they've actually kept rising.
They're going to have a rough time explaining reopening when cases are peaking and double where they were during the first lockdown.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I don't see how they reopen. They closed schools ahead of time and delayed the return so cases can improve, but they've actually kept rising.
They're going to have a rough time explaining reopening when cases are peaking and double where they were during the first lockdown.

They won't explain it. They'll say it is the thing to do, that Dr. Aruda says it's ok, etc...

I'll believe they're serious once they do a lockdown more severe than the first one that lasts longer.

They are masters of half-measures.

Give me a lockdown that has:

- Curfews between 8PM and 6AM unless you have a permit saying you should be on the road to go to and fro your essential services job.

- One person per household permited to go do groceries. That person goes alone. Period. People are ID-checked, their name and address recorded in an online database.

- Nobody allowed outside a 5KM perimeter from their home, unless they have a permit saying they should be on the road to go to and fro their essential services job.

- Electronically enforced quarantines using ankle tags.

etc etc etc

None of this voluntary shit!

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They won't explain it. They'll say it is the thing to do, that Dr. Aruda says it's ok, etc...

I'll believe they're serious once they do a lockdown more severe than the first one that lasts longer.

- Curfews between 8PM and 6AM unless you have a permit saying you should be on the road to go to and fro your essential services job.

- One person per household permited to go do groceries. That person goes alone. Period. People are ID-checked, their name and address recorded in an online database.

- Nobody allowed outside a 5KM perimeter from their home, unless they have a permit saying they should be on the road to go to and fro their essential services job.

etc etc etc

Martial law at this point and I wouldn't even care. End this virus.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

etc etc etc

I don't agree with all of this but we definitely shouldn't reopen now.
I think with the vaccines coming in, they need to focus on that more...it's crazy we were one of the first countries to get the vaccines but we aren't rolling them out fast enough.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't agree with all of this but we definitely shouldn't reopen now.
I think with the vaccines coming in, they need to focus on that more...it's crazy we were one of the first countries to get the vaccines but we aren't rolling them out fast enough.

I'm not sure what the latest numbers are on vaccine doses but it will be a while before we have enough vaccines to drop the spread significantly.

Definitely a slow roll out though but we need better control as well. It's not one or the other, its both.

We can extend the lockdown but we can't keep things closed forever.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm not sure what the latest numbers are on vaccine doses but it will be a while before we have enough vaccines to drop the spread significantly.

Definitely a slow roll out though but we need better control as well. It's not one or the other, its both.

We can extend the lockdown but we can't keep things closed forever.

Thought I just read somewhere 2.4 doses (so 1.2 million ppl) in the first 3 months of 2021. Maybe i just dreamed that, but it doesn’t seem acceptable to me.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Thought I just read somewhere 2.4 doses (so 1.2 million ppl) in the first 3 months of 2021. Maybe i just dreamed that, but it doesn’t seem acceptable to me.

I'm not a disease expert but I would guess to really curtail the virus you need at least half the population without it. Faucci suggested a much higher number like 90% I believe but that may have been to resume a life of normalcy.

For now anything under 10 million people vaccinated isn't game changing. It helps but we have a long way.

By the way, is it 2 doses per person? Why is 2.4 mil result in 1.2 mil people?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
According to a report I just saw on CTV news, Quebec is averaging 2800 Covid cases per day and vaccinating roughly 1500 people a day. Report says the govt will have tough decisions to make about possibly extending the shutdown for non essential businesses and schools past January 11th.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As an added wrinkle, the govt's imposition of stores only being able to sell essential products, is backfiring.

Not only the designation of what is essential and isn't is highly questionable in many cases, customers are just bypassing local stores and getting their non-food products via Amazon. So much for imposing restrictions so that smaller business wouldn't get bulldozed by bigger stores -- they're losing out to virtual suppliers.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
According to a report I just saw on CTV news, Quebec is averaging 2800 Covid cases per day and vaccinating roughly 1500 people a day. Report says the govt will have tough decisions to make about possibly extending the shutdown for non essential businesses and schools past January 11th.
That was always an obvious possibility. Outside of primary schools, i don't see much reopening before March/April.

As an added wrinkle, the govt's imposition of stores only being able to sell essential products, is backfiring.

Not only the designation of what is essential and isn't is highly questionable in many cases, customers are just bypassing local stores and getting their non-food products via Amazon. So much for imposing restrictions so that smaller business wouldn't get bulldozed by bigger stores -- they're losing out to virtual suppliers.
Another thing that was obvious. I don't know how they could really have enforced it, but they should have made that illegal.

I've ordered a bunch of things off of Amazon, including batteries and speakers.

The speakers are shipped by a local store, HI-FI ELECRRONICS or whatever it's called, but the rest is from Amazon... And i don't care. I need it, and stuff isn't available anywhere.

Heck, my 6 years old destroyed his snowpants and needs new ones ASAP - amazon it is!

Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad