OT: COVID-19 - NO POLITICS (MOD/warning post #527)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Can someone tell me why the stock market is always so volatile? I mean hypothetically speaking what if the vast majority of investors around the world DID NOT PANIC and instead sat tight on their investments? Wouldn't the drop in the markets be vastly minimized instead of dropping so much like it has now?

I just don't get why every little event in the world can cause the markets to go down so easily when if people simple sat tight the mood swings in the markets wouldn't be so huge.

I don't think covid 19 is a little thing, some are calling it a Black Swan, which I think means something very very unexpected (and bad), without looking up the meaning, I think that is what this is ....

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It is all coming to an end in Toronto within 72 hours. The stores here were nuts tonight. There's people hanging outside them at 3am right now. Once reality hits throughout the day tomorrow, another massive run on the stores.. however tomorrow there's a little less on the shelves, so people will be angry. 2 days from now, down, too dangerous to shop.

I'm sorry if you thought this was a game, or "just the flu". Millions are about to be sealed off.

It's the only way, because they don't have enough equipment to survive a pandemic.

Worth noting that nothing substantial changed over the period of Wednesday to Thursday.

The virus didn’t mutate. Aliens didn’t attack (though there may have been some probing in the Ozarks.).

All that happened is that people who weren’t paying any attention or were willfully ignorant, suddenly saw big league sports all take socially responsible action.

And being willfully ignorant, they don’t understand that this is a good thing.

You aren’t going to be sealed off in your room. There is not a zombie apocalypse.

Grocery stores will have food and toilet paper. In fact, next week will be dreamy at the store as they will be fully stocked and all these nutbars will be sitting at home eating from their 1 month supply of beans from a can. We will just breeze through the check outs.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
:sarcasm:
here's a hint for people who have bathroom tissue issues

try local small businesses. Convenience stores. Smaller corp chains like Rabba / 7/11 and the like. Local grocery stores.

They're going to be the ones hammered last. People instinctively go to the lowest priced / highest supply stores. When a panic purchase environment kicks off, immediately go to where people wouldn't go.

Sure, you're going to pay a premium. But better to pay the premium than not get what you need.

I went to Rabba right when I heard No Frills was getting slammed... only a few people in the store and was able to pick up everything including TP.
Stay outa my town:sarcasm:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It's the first step and their findings will be shared with others around the world.

Also, University of Saskatchewan apparently has a Coronavirus vaccine in the testing phase on animals.

Canada's First Coronavirus Vaccine Made In Saskatchewan Is Now In Testing Stages

It's great they're making progress but every expert I've seen quoted says we're a year away from a vaccine being publicly available. Of course by then we'll be past the peak that will cause the most damage. They're also saying this thing may become seasonal like the flu with a new mutated strain every year meaning whatever vaccine they develop now will only be partially effective or not effective at all. Just saying, I wouldn't count on a vaccine helping much at all for the main concern (an overwhelmed medical system).

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It's great they're making progress but every expert I've seen quoted says we're a year away from a vaccine being publicly available.
Of course by then we'll be past the peak that will cause the most damage. They're also saying this thing may become seasonal like the flu with a new mutated strain every year meaning whatever vaccine they develop now will only be partially effective or not effective at all. Just saying, I wouldn't count on a vaccine helping much at all for the main concern (an overwhelmed medical system).

Well, a vaccine does help manage the impact to the system with the flu so I would say that it could potentially address some concerns.

But you are quite right in that healthcare is in need of a major tweak... even under normal conditions with our aging population.

A vaccine is better than no vaccine. Isolating viral components can also lead to anti-viral medication. Which big pharma will be chasing with great enthusiasm.

Seems positive. I’d just leave it at that without drawing any conclusions either way.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Can someone tell me why the stock market is always so volatile? I mean hypothetically speaking what if the vast majority of investors around the world DID NOT PANIC and instead sat tight on their investments? Wouldn't the drop in the markets be vastly minimized instead of dropping so much like it has now?

I just don't get why every little event in the world can cause the markets to go down so easily when if people simple sat tight the mood swings in the markets wouldn't be so huge.

Even if the majority of private investors like me held tight, the minority that panic sold is enough to deflate a stock price. Then there are the large fund managers whose jobs depend on portfolio performance and are forced into a more defensive position. Finally there are the margin calls for people investing on borrowed money that are given no choice but to sell. Those are the people that are screwed the most over this.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
All professional sporting events are on a hiatus except Golf and Auto Racing. Unfortunately, there's not much else to talk about for the foreseeable future.

Sucks because we could really use the diversion right now!

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Well, a vaccine does help manage the impact to the system with the flu so I would say that it could potentially address some concerns.

But you are quite right in that healthcare is in need of a major tweak... even under normal conditions with our aging population.

A vaccine is better than no vaccine. Isolating viral components can also lead to anti-viral medication. Which big pharma will be chasing with great enthusiasm.

Seems positive. I’d just leave it at that without drawing any conclusions either way.

Good points. And these virus scares seem to be recurring every 10 years or so like clockwork. I hope we learn from it this time a develop a strategy to deal with it.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I think if the first thing people got was beer... and the media said there was a run on beer... then we’d see panic buying of beer.

Both necessities but completely unrelated to the virus.
Beer is not a necessity.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Instead of talking about the coronavirus we should be talking about the scumbags who started this whole mess. Scumbag poachers aiding scumbag illegal wildlife traffickers... Thousands of operational illegal wildlife wet markets and if they arent exposed some other virus will come along just as contagious but instead of a 3% death rate maybe it could be a 33% death rate. Not only are do they not have morality but they are also stupid. They should have been stopped the first time SARS hit 15 years ago.

Reactions: mmalady

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
How stupid is this?

People afraid of contracting a communicable disease that is best mitigated through social distancing ..... rushing out to stand in a large crowd with other people scared of contracting the communicable disease.

This is a marathon folks. 6-18 months.

You will need to venture out in public again when your 2 week supply of Mr Noodles runs out. And the grocery stores will have food then too.

I was already stocked up a couple of weeks ago. I have been following this virus since the mid wuhan days. Personally I think the effect of the virus itself wont be 6 to 18 months. Just a guess of maybe 2 to 3. But the loss of jobs and the inflation of food prices and products will be 6 to 18 maybe more months. Thats one reason I went early and was talking about it here. Waiting in line ups and paying higher prices sucks as well. Especially when work places will be closed.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I was already stocked up a couple of weeks ago. I have been following this virus since the mid wuhan days. Personally I think the effect of the virus itself wont be 6 to 18 months. Just a guess of maybe 2 to 3. But the loss of jobs and the inflation of food prices and products will be 6 to 18 maybe more months. Thats one reason I went early and was talking about it here. Waiting in line ups and paying higher prices sucks as well. Especially when work places will be closed.

You raise a great point about prices.

We need to have long memories. Any chain or independent that jacks up prices to capitalize on worry won’t be getting my business going forward.

Between social media and programs like Marketplace.... we are watching.

A shout out to Foodland, which is owned by Sobeys.

As of yesterday, they had 12 rolls of Cashmere toilet paper on sale for $5.49 and a limit of 3 per customer.

Bravo.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Worth noting that nothing substantial changed over the period of Wednesday to Thursday.

The virus didn’t mutate. Aliens didn’t attack (though there may have been some probing in the Ozarks.).

All that happened is that people who weren’t paying any attention or were willfully ignorant, suddenly saw big league sports all take socially responsible action.

And being willfully ignorant, they don’t understand that this is a good thing.

You aren’t going to be sealed off in your room. There is not a zombie apocalypse.

Grocery stores will have food and toilet paper. In fact, next week will be dreamy at the store as they will be fully stocked and all these nutbars will be sitting at home eating from their 1 month supply of beans from a can. We will just breeze through the check outs.

The WHO officially declared it a pandemic and the province announced all schools closed for the next three weeks. Those are two major events that would get people going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad