COVID-19 Memorial Cup

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
With 20+ cases of the Coronavirus in British Columbia and many huge events and extra careful protocols in leagues could it be a possibility the 2020 Memorial Cup is cancelled or played in an empty rink or another way? It'd be extremely sad but this outbreak is getting serious and needs to be taken that way. Want to hear your thoughts...?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It's interesting to see the measures being taken by the NHL to limit access to players, etc., while it's still business as usual in the Dub. After Sunday night's Ice game seeing Liam Hughes high fiving a couple dozen kids, that kind of thing.

It might be time to throttle back on the public appearances and fan interaction while this plays out. I think everyone will understand.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
CHL will indeed "throttle back" ...
MARCH 12, 2020
CHL Statement: 2019-20 season paused until further notice

The Canadian Hockey League and its three regional leagues, the Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, and Western Hockey League, take the health and safety of our players, fans, volunteers, staff, and general public very seriously. CHL President Dan MacKenzie with Commissioners David Branch, Gilles Courteau, and Ron Robison have been monitoring the situation in regards to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) including what local, provincial, and federal health agencies have recommended. Following consultation with medical professionals and meetings today among the CHL Executive Council, and regional league Board of Governors, the CHL announces that the balance of the 2019-20 season and all hockey activity shall be paused immediately until further notice.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
curious as to what they'll do about future hosting. WHL kinda got an "extra" one in 2018; maybe this just wipes that out

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
The next turn in the rotation for the WHL will be 2023. I think Kelowna would get first dibs on that year if they want it.
Seems fair but I think Seattle will be really keen on the next WHL opportunity for the Memorial Cup too. With new fancy NHL arena to open in 2021 as well as the NHL Seattle group really pushing to attract hockey events. Wouldn't be surprised to see a push for World Jrs there too in the next decade.

*How have other NHL cities dealt with Memorial Cup and possible NHL playoff overlap?

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Seems fair but I think Seattle will be really keen on the next WHL opportunity for the Memorial Cup too. With new fancy NHL arena to open in 2021 as well as the NHL Seattle group really pushing to attract hockey events. Wouldn't be surprised to see a push for World Jrs there too in the next decade.

*How have other NHL cities dealt with Memorial Cup and possible NHL playoff overlap?

The Memorial Cup hasn't been in the U.S. since Spokane in 1998. Supposedly it's because of sponsorship reasons, and if that's the case then it probably won't go there.

LordStanley1967

Apr 5, 2020
the 2021 Memorial cup, if there is one, will more than likely come back to Ontario, I suspect the Generals will get it but who really knows anymore. it was to be decided about now, but i am sure the decision is pushed back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad