COVID-19 Megathread II (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It may or may not be a trash take but presented without context and additional information its meaningless.

101 needs to provide the following for anyone to judge the significance of the number he presented:

1. What is the timeframe for those numbers? If " week 34" means from the beginning of the year, that helps.

2. How does that number compare to the same timeframe in previous years?

3. Does that number include COVID pneumonia deaths?

Answer those questions and we can have a discussion

The fact you're asking for me to provide so much to publicly available information screams a lot about how things are being reported.

1. Calendar year 2020
2. It is an increase over the past three years.
3. It depends which CDC report you look at. For months they reported it as separate from COVID, other pages on the CDC site co-mingle the data.
4. The responses to simple data here reveal who get upset at big numbers for the sake of them being big numbers and who here pays attention to how those numbers relate to other big numbers reported by the same freaking agencies. Maybe COVID will surpass medical provider screwups as the #3 killer in America ... MAYBE. Again, that requires going beyond the headlines every day and having the willingness to contextualize.

Reactions: Armourboy

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The fact you're asking for me to provide so much to publicly available information screams a lot about how things are being reported.

1. Calendar year 2020
2. It is an increase over the past three years.
3. It depends which CDC report you look at. For months they reported it as separate from COVID, other pages on the CDC site co-mingle the data.
4. The responses to simple data here reveal who get upset at big numbers for the sake of them being big numbers and who here pays attention to how those numbers relate to other big numbers reported by the same freaking agencies. Maybe COVID will surpass medical provider screwups as the #3 killer in America ... MAYBE. Again, that requires going beyond the headlines every day and having the willingness to contextualize.

You're the one who threw the number out with the implication that P and I are just as big a problem as COVID but of course that's an inaccurate statement if the 200000 number include those diagnosed with Covid and pneumonia. And you cant answer the question definitively, or at least you didnt, and that's the crux of the point

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
101st has consistently used Flu and Pneumonia as his basis since the pandemic started. Nothing has been added.
Yeah, except that isnt true. His initial posts were just parroting the line of comparing this to the flu. And he knows it. Thats why he responded the way he did.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Here is 101s last paragraph of his first post on the topic from March 12

The guidance is to wash one's hands, keep distance from people (stay out of their bubble), don't go into public or work if sick. The same guidance applies to the flu every single year ... and gets ignored every single year as we pass the influenza virus among the population and kill off tens of thousands of people from that bug annually. IF common sense were truly common then we wouldn't have to keep telling people to apply it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Not so good for Wisconsin. We are back on Illinois' Do Not Visit list!

So what does that mean, actually? Do they stop people from coming through at the borders from both sides? Or are they simply asking people from Illinois not to go to WI?

My mother has pretty much secluded herself in Alabama for fear of catching this. I was telling my sister today that I just hate that her last days (not that she is ill, just relatively because she's almost 87) are being spent like this. That said, I would ALSO hate for her to live her final days on a respirator!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So what does that mean, actually? Do they stop people from coming through at the borders from both sides? Or are they simply asking people from Illinois not to go to WI?

My mother has pretty much secluded herself in Alabama for fear of catching this. I was telling my sister today that I just hate that her last days (not that she is ill, just relatively because she's almost 87) are being spent like this. That said, I would ALSO hate for her to live her final days on a respirator!

Adz, they are asking people from Wisconsin not to go to Illinois. If you go, you are supposed to quarantine in place for 2 weeks. The police can look for the Wisconsin plates on the cars. My younger daughter was visiting her sister. She kept her car in her older sister's garage. (You can't park on the street without a permit.)

They only went out for groceries after 10 days.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
You're the one who threw the number out with the implication that P and I are just as big a problem as COVID but of course that's an inaccurate statement if the 200000 number include those diagnosed with Covid and pneumonia. And you cant answer the question definitively, or at least you didnt, and that's the crux of the point

There was no co-mingling of the numbers until August when one report mixed P&I and COVID. Definitively stating that anything is an "inaccurate statement" when the numbers and definitions used to create those numbers is in such constant flux is absolutely impossible ... and that is the crux. The secondary is that even if 10% of those P&I deaths can be written off as COVID, it's still 180-190k dead with zero reporting and the continued failure to contextualize COVID as it relates to other things killing Americans.

It never ceases to amaze me how one number from the CDC gets rapidly repeated while another gets instantly dismissed. Never mind that the official COVID death total includes those only suspected of having the disease ... yet that number gets treated as gospel until its next revision as multiple states have done over the past 7 months.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
101st has consistently used Flu and Pneumonia as his basis since the pandemic started. Nothing has been added.

Yeah, except that isnt true. His initial posts were just parroting the line of comparing this to the flu. And he knows it. Thats why he responded the way he did.

From March 28 ... "Per the CDC and their groupings ... pneumonia and influenza "
March 31st ... "I pointed out that the P&I (as tracked by the CDC) "

When using death numbers I've used P&I because that is how the CDC presents the data ... it's actually a P&I page on their site. Your strawman isn't based on my presentation of stats. It was based on a citation of generic prevention guidelines.

Reactions: Armourboy

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
There was no co-mingling of the numbers until August when one report mixed P&I and COVID. Definitively stating that anything is an "inaccurate statement" when the numbers and definitions used to create those numbers is in such constant flux is absolutely impossible ... and that is the crux. The secondary is that even if 10% of those P&I deaths can be written off as COVID, it's still 180-190k dead with zero reporting and the continued failure to contextualize COVID as it relates to other things killing Americans.

It never ceases to amaze me how one number from the CDC gets rapidly repeated while another gets instantly dismissed. Never mind that the official COVID death total includes those only suspected of having the disease ... yet that number gets treated as gospel until its next revision as multiple states have done over the past 7 months.

I'm not dismissing anything I just need to understand the numbers. So I'll restate my concerns:

If the 200,000 number given for P&I includes patients with COVID, then that number is meaningless if your point was to try to say that P & I is just as big a problem as COVID.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adz and lstcyr

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Hilarious that you think he’s the one adding them together. You’ve not been on the CDC website much.

Your California is showing...
Been to CDC and Worldmeter throughout. Its pretty clear that combining the two in order to compare to COVID is meant to try to....well I guess downplay it? Not sure. 101 would know the motive the best. He is a self-declared information warrior or whatever it was he declared himself a couple of days ago. And from California, youd be surprised (and probably upset that your generalization that Bill OReilly has made millions on) doesnt hold up at all. Lots of support for both parties from what Ive seen in my year here.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I'm not dismissing anything I just need to understand the numbers. So I'll restate my concerns:

If the 200,000 number given for P&I includes patients with COVID, then that number is meaningless if your point was to try to say that P & I is just as big a problem as COVID.

One report co-mingles COVID into P&I and that one produces a third set of results. Official COVID numbers include suspected ... so already flawed.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So apparently Florida just said "let it rip" and is allowing everything to reopen fully. (Although local jurisdictions can still impose a 50% limit) The data from there should be very instructive in the coming months

COVID-Skeptical Florida Guv Outdoes Himself, Lifts All Restrictions on Restaurants and Bars

Wisconsin had a large surge that started with the school year. Florida starts later, so wait for 3 weeks from now to see the Florida COVID-19 numbers jump.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Wisconsin had a large surge that started with the school year. Florida starts later, so wait for 3 weeks from now to see the Florida COVID-19 numbers jump.

I'm actually just as intrested in economic data as I am covid data. I want to know if people are actually going to turn out and go to places that are packed full with no restrictions.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm actually just as intrested in economic data as I am covid data. I want to know if people are actually going to turn out and go to places that are packed full with no restrictions.
Those in the younger age brackets probably will but I think those 40+ will be more cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad