OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Tampa's Chief of Police said that they aren't using tear gas or rubber bullets. That *seems* correct, based on the videos I have available, but by not clarifying what they *do* use, protestors feel the PD are lying. People mislabel guns all the time (and I'm not a gun guy at all, but you learn stuff through media, particularly video games) they'd definitely mislabel ammunition.

First, I don't know if there's a loophole for the Sheriff's Department or any other PD assisting in Tampa.

Pepper bullets (basically paintballs with pepper spray) seems to be what they're shooting. There was also a little seen video from a few nights ago where bean bags were used. The cop really seemed in the wrong there to begin with, so he may have also violated the department's use of force continuum.

edit:
I've gone over some old clips again. Bean bag rounds have been used in other instances around Tampa. Those are the gun shots that sound the most like you'd typically hear. They're the black and orange shotguns.

There's also few clips of people with bleeding heads. Justification aside, injuries to the head can bleed a lot. I suspect being struck with a pepper bullet would do the trick.

“The scalp is very thick skin, and because of it’s extensive blood supply even small lacerations to the head can lead to very large amounts of bleeding,” says Troy Madsen, MD, an emergency physician at the University of Utah Hospital.
Why Do Head Injuries Bleed so Much? | University of Utah Health

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Remember how I mentioned that down ballot voting is important?

Here are the Florida positions that can be voted on in 2020.
State Attorney (Circuits 1-19)
Public Defender (Circuits 1-19)
County Sheriff (only some counties this year)
Justices, Supreme Court of Florida
Judges, District Courts of Appeal
Circuit Judges
County Court Judges

If a judge rules that 'x' can't do something. They can't do it anymore.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
itch.io with a $5 bundle that has...let's see...742 games. (Itch.io is legit if you're not familar with them. They're mostly for the smaller, indie, type games)

Well then.

Most of these I don't know of course. Oxenfree, Night in the Woods, Dr. Langeskov, Super Hexagon, Minit, 'Cook, Serve, Delicious 2', 2000:1: A Space Felony, Airships, On Rusty Trails, Heavy Bullets, The King's Bird, A Short Hike, and Glittermitten Grove are the standouts that I'm familiar with. They'd more than justify a $5 bundle alone.

Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality by itch.io and 564 others - itch.io

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Since I'm the only one in here, this is now the 19/3 Autonomous Zone.

Get in the Zone. Autonomous Zone.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A pair of pretty good games for free right now.

Hitman: Absolution
Hitman: Absolution on GOG.com

Snake Pass
Get Snake Pass for free

I really like the new Hitman games from 2016 & 2018. Sort of sandbox action puzzle stealth assassination games. Absolution was the game before the rework and is far more linear with some janky mechanics, making it the black sheep, and not really a great representation of the series as a whole. Link to modern review.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Eastside Hockey Manager (which should be getting an update fairly soon) is part of a $30 bundle supporting several racial justice charities.
Humble Fight for Racial Justice Bundle (pay what you want and help charity)

Some good stuff besides EHM. Hyper Light Drifter, Jackbox 4, Spelunky, Football Manager 2020, Kerbal Space Program, Sonic All-Stars Racing, FTL, Bioshock, This War of Mine, Broken Age, Company of Heroes 2, >observer_, No Time to Explain, GoNNER, Elite: Dangerous, etc.

You've got to download some new rosters from The Blue Line (TBL) on the Steam Workshop, and maybe some logos and face packs, since EHM didn't get the license for most leagues.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You guys may want to hold off on getting The Last of Us 2 for the moment. There's some backlash over the story.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Ever since that snuff film like trailer I've been really turned off by TLOU2 which is a shame because I loved the first one. I really don't need to play something that is nothing but bleak right now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Allowing people to vote on their city police chief seems like a reasonable agreement that I haven't heard of mentioned at all. County Sheriffs in Florida are all elected, although they're frequently unopposed on the ballot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Allowing people to vote on their city police chief seems like a reasonable agreement that I haven't heard of mentioned at all. County Sheriffs in Florida are all elected, although they're frequently unopposed on the ballot.
I don't love the unintended consequences elected law enforcement leads to. Look at what happens with judges in election years (in places with elected judges) - judges give out tougher sentences for relatively minor offenses in order to be seen as "tough on crime". You also have a lot of issues with quid pro quos from fundraising - state and local politics are corrupt as hell and having chiefs of police receiving campaign donations just opens some awful doors.

Elected sheriffs are a holdover from like... the 1400s, and sheriffs are often corrupt as hell.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't love the unintended consequences elected law enforcement leads to. Look at what happens with judges in election years (in places with elected judges) - judges give out tougher sentences for relatively minor offenses in order to be seen as "tough on crime". You also have a lot of issues with quid pro quos from fundraising - state and local politics are corrupt as hell and having chiefs of police receiving campaign donations just opens some awful doors.

Elected sheriffs are a holdover from like... the 1400s, and sheriffs are often corrupt as hell.
You can get a corrupt appointed chief and not be able to do anything about that either, other than to take a chance on a new mayor.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
You can get a corrupt appointed chief and not be able to do anything about that either, other than to take a chance on a new mayor.
The issue is how direct the corruption is. Campaigning simply opens up way more opportunities/temptations to be shitty.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The issue is how direct the corruption is. Campaigning simply opens up way more opportunities/temptations to be shitty.
As is direct public action to remove bad chiefs.

The current system isn't working for people in many cities. I don't think it's unreasonable for voters to decide how they'd like to be collectively policed.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
As is direct public action to remove bad chiefs.

The current system isn't working for people in many cities. I don't think it's unreasonable for voters to decide how they'd like to be collectively policed.
Have the appointment of a police chief go through a civilian oversight board instead of direct election.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Have the appointment of a police chief go through a civilian oversight board instead of direct election.
I like citizen oversight, but they'd have to be a pretty powerful organization (and elected, not appointed)

I'm looking at the American cities with citizen oversight and there's some recent police brutality hotspots. Atlanta, Austin, Buffalo, LA and LA County, Miami, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc.

Cities lean liberal, but I could see bipartisan support for police chief elections.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The ads on HFBoards have been out of control lately. I get video ads blasting through the speakers of my phone, even when my phone is locked and put away.

I want to keep supporting the site but I'm ready to install an ad-blocker. The ads have been way too intrusive lately.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The ads on HFBoards have been out of control lately. I get video ads blasting through the speakers of my phone, even when my phone is locked and put away.

I want to keep supporting the site but I'm ready to install an ad-blocker. The ads have been way too intrusive lately.
You can become a sponsor of the site and get ads removed. $12 for one year.

Members tab at the top of the screen ⇾ Account Upgrades

Ads are sort of a death spiral. People understandably start blocking ads, so they become more aggressive. Ad infinitum.

I don't get ads because I was formerly a mod, but for the rest of the internet I use Privacy Badger, it's not technically an ad blocker, it just blocks things that track you, which happens to be a ton of ads. I totally get that I'm the product being sold, and these sites need revenue to stay afloat, but do it on my terms.

It can break website features sometimes, so I'll fiddle with specific trackers, but it can be turned off on a site-by-site basis if needed.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
You can become a sponsor of the site and get ads removed. $12 for one year.

Members tab at the top of the screen ⇾ Account Upgrades

Ads are sort of a death spiral. People understandably start blocking ads, so they become more aggressive. Ad infinitum.

I don't get ads because I was formerly a mod, but for the rest of the internet I use Privacy Badger, it's not technically an ad blocker, it just blocks things that track you, which happens to be a ton of ads. I totally get that I'm the product being sold, and these sites need revenue to stay afloat, but do it on my terms.

It can break website features sometimes, so I'll fiddle with specific trackers, but it can be turned off on a site-by-site basis if needed.

Thanks, I went ahead and became a sponsor. I've been a sponsor in the past, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that this time around.

Reactions: Felonious Python
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad