OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I for one highly recommend Silicon Valley. That show was hilarious af and I miss it already.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I really meant to get back to this sooner, but better late than never! I'm sure some of you are looking for stuff to watch as those Netflix backlogs dwindle. Here's some reviews of KyoAni stuff I've watched lately. Then I'll move on to reviewing this past Winter season that just wrapped up.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya [Funimation] - This is the first series that really put Kyoto Animation on the map for most people, and it's easy to see why as it's a quirky, funny show with memeable moments and plenty points of discussion. What would happen if god turned out to be a moody and demanding high school girl who wishes aliens, time travelers, and espers were real, unwittingly creating and attracting them to her without realizing it? You get Haruhi Suzumiya, of course. Our unassuming main character, Kyon, gets unwittingly dragged into her madness by being the first one to really speak to this intimidating transfer student. Unlike most non-descript self-insert style MCs though, Kyon really carries the show with his amusing self-monologues and observations, basically speaking for all of us. He also develops nicely in the second season and the movie. Speaking of that second season, it's pretty controversial for its Endless Eight arc, a series where consecutive episodes repeat the same events with slight tweaks each time (I won't get into why). I can't imagine what it was like to tune in each week only to see basically the same thing again and again for 2 months, lol. Very artistically courageous move by KyoAni that still incites a lot of debate and rancor to this day. Coming back to it later and able to binge the whole thing over a couple days, I have to say it wasn't really THAT bad and really helped set the stage for what happens after, particularly in the follow up film, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, a fantastic work in its own right and one of the longest anime movies out there. Anyway, this series is probably not for the anime novices out there, but I highly recommend it as a must watch for any serious otaku.

Kanon [Funimation] - Another one of the visual novels by Key that KyoAni adapted (the 2006 one that is, it was adapted before by Toei in 2002). This one has a much better and more coherent story than Air, IMO. It definitely got me to cry a couple times! It's about a high school boy who returns to a small town in Northern Japan that he used to visit every summer when he was younger. However, he doesn't really remember much of what happened back then, only gradually regaining his memories again from the girls he meets and helps along the way. I really got attached to all the girls as they all have such touching backstories. It's not often a VN adaptation has the arcs flow together so smoothly, too. Despite all the sad revelations and crazy magical phenomenon going on, I found watching this show with its persistently snow-covered ambiance quite soothing to watch. It also had just the right amount of comedy to liven things up when needed!

Lucky Star [Funimation] - This one's pure comedy and episodic at that. A mix between Seinfeld-esque observations about society and personal behaviors and some humor you have to be fairly deep into the anime fandom and Japanese pop culture to get, like the episode centered around a trip to Comiket (think San Diego Comic Con but for anime, and also mostly centered on fan-created works), or the ending sequences which feature karaoke of old anime and folk songs. Anyway I found it really hilarious! Overall I think the humor is easier to grasp than Nichijou's at least. I also love all the references to previous KyoAni works sprinkled throughout the show, primarily Haruhi and Full Metal Panic. The show was also one of the first ones to inspire pilgrimages to the town were it's set, which gives you an idea of how popular it was at the time.

Violet Evergarden I: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll [Netflix] - I actually saw this movie in the theater a couple months ago, but it's on Netflix now! I highly recommend it. An absolutely gorgeous film visually, and a great continuation of the series (watch it first if you haven't) as far as being able to see Violet continue to develop as a person as she helps war orphans reconnect after their separation. Great directorial debut for Haruka Fujita, proving the future of the studio is in good hands.

Sound! Euphonium the Movie: Oath's Finale - This one isn't officially out in North America yet (though it showed in theaters here last summer), but I downloaded a fan translated version. This movie covers the main character Kumiko Oumae's second year of high school. I definitely enjoyed it a lot as a fan of the series and watching everyone grow up and take on more responsibility while bringing the new first year students up to speed was fulfilling, but 2 hours of run time just didn't feel like enough to cover everything and left things a bit rushed. The story also ends on a bittersweet note that just leaves you wanting more. Hopefully the project they announced for Kumiko's third and final year turns out to be a series or a longer film or two films so they can give it the full treatment it deserves next time.

All I have left in my KyoAni backlog now is Clannad, which is on Netflix. I've heard very good things about it, but also that it is really sad. I'm not sure now is the right time to watch it considering but I will give it a shot.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The heck do they even mean by "logistics issues" anyway? Just release it digitally?
Many people still want their games on a disc. Especially such classics as TLOU.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Then those people can wait for their physical copy while the rest of us enjoy it. A lot of people had "logistics issues" getting their physical copy of Animal Crossing after all. Oh well I got plenty of other stuff to play.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the subject matter is more the actual issue. Hostile humans and creatures warped by a fungus that led to the downfall of society.

There's a theory the Bond movie No Time to Die got delayed for a similar plot concern. The original release was supposed to be yesterday I think, but got moved to November.

If you look at the November release schedule, if everything is fine, movies and games are going to be nuts. The problem is, after the holiday the next big launch window for games is about now (March), and I don't think anyone wants to delay an almost finished game an entire year, especially with the PS5 looming. Maybe The Last of Us is big enough that it can ignore industry trends and launch in like Aug-Sept when there's not as much competition, but I don't really think it's strong enough.

Dump months - Wikipedia
August might work if the movie industry doesn't adjust for current events.

Games like GTA3 and MGS2 delayed and made alterations after 9/11, so they might take the time to cut or change some content.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
What I watched in Winter 2020

Continuing shows: My Hero Academia, Isekai Quartet

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! [Crunchyroll] - This one is my Anime of the Season! A trio of high school kids get together and start a club to create anime (but they dub it a film club, or "eizouken" to get around school restrictions as an anime club already exists). It's right up there with Shirobako as far as meta anime, or anime about making anime, goes. While Shirobako focused more on the reality of the modern anime studio, Eizouken is more about the joy of the creative process. The one exception to that is my personal favorite club member, Kanamori, who focuses more on the money and promotion end of their efforts, doing a great job of showing how important those things are as well. Done by the same studio as Devilman Crybaby and Night is Short, Walk on Girl, the animation is phenomenal and lively as well. I learned a fair bit while being entertained. My only qualm about it is I felt the show lost some steam near the end as it kind of rehashes what they already did but with a bigger project.

Somali and the Forest Spirit [Crunchyroll] - Another fantastic show. What if The Mandalorian was an anime and fantasy instead of sci-fi? Well you get this. The world building is really well done, the backgrounds are gorgeous, and Somali can't help but make you smile even if she's a bit of brat at times. It does a good job of getting to the heart of what it means to be a parent.

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense [Funimation] - I was surprised by how much I ended up loving this anime. Yeah it's your typical RPG world anime (though not actually isekai), but the whole thing is so charming. Most of the fun comes from watching the main character, Maple, stumble her way into unlocking all sorts of overpowered powered abilities just by virtue of not playing the game like most people would. The animation is seriously good, particularly during the boss battles, and all the characters have great designs and personalities. Nothing deep but watching week to week never disappointed!

Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It [Crunchyroll] - Funniest show of the season for me. Two data scientists fall in love with each other, but aren't sure or don't want to admit it so they resolve to trying to prove it scientifically in various ways like measuring heart rate, quantifying mood, etc. Some shades of Big Bang Theory in this one, but they actually take time to explain scientific concepts in amusing ways so you'll learn a bit, too! As a former science major I could relate to it a lot. The story also ends on a pretty touching note considering the genre. Credits song is catchy as hell and got stuck in my head a lot after watching.

Asteroid in Love [Crunchyroll] - Another typical slice of life show, focused on an Earth Sciences (Astronomy and Geology) club. I actually learned a fair bit of science from this. Very relaxing to watch and relationships between all the characters are wonderful. Reminds me a lot of Yuru Camp, which got a series of 3 minute shorts this season called Heya Camp, so brief it's not really worth mentioning beyond this, lol.

Toilet-bound Hanako-kun [Funimation] - Not as gross as it sounds. The title is a reference to one of the "Seven School Wonders" of the high school it takes place in. I'm not sure how prevalent these rumors/haunted stories really are in actual Japanese high schools, but they come up often enough in anime to be considered a cultural phenomenon I guess. This anime turns these apparitions into actual protagonists in an interesting manner, and the main character gets drawn into their conflict when she attempts to summon one of them for better luck in her love life. I love the art style of this one as it's so bold while keeping it cute. The way the story unfolds leads to more questions than answers though and most of the fights seem to resolve the same way, that's my only complaint about it.

22/7 [Funimation] - An idol anime. Not much else to say. I picked it up mostly because one the character designers for this also worked on K-On! and Tamako Market for Kyoto Animation so I found them very appealing. That said, one thing I really appreciated in this show was the background stories of each of the idols. Some of them really tugged on the heartstrings and gave it more of a mature take on the genre (that is if you ignore the weird aspect of a mysterious wall giving them orders instead of an actual producer). Oh yeah the music was pretty good, too.

Seton Academy: Join the Pack! [Crunchyroll] - If you enjoyed Zootopia for the humor (specifically stuff like the sloth scene in the DMV), this anime might be for you. It's a high school comedy that got a lot of laughs out of me for portraying the quirks of various animal species in anthropomorphic form.

Nekopara [Funimation] - A show about catgirls. I like catgirls. What can I say? Surprisingly tame show given it's based on a pervy game, but still has its points of fan service. Pretty funny at times as well!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't even give it one year. What a stupid concept.

Unless they add anime. Then we're talking, lol.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't even give it one year. What a stupid concept.

Unless they add anime. Then we're talking, lol.
It's very well funded, which is why it gets two. They'll know quickly it's going to bomb, but try to drag it along for several months. They also have the resources to change gears to a more conventional OTT before completely throwing in the towel.

Expensively made subscription video content for mobile phones with big stars where episodes have a 10-minute time limit. No way this could go wrong. (but, but, but, you can watch sideways OR up-down)

I could easily see how one exec sees their daughter or someone on their phone all the time an assumes that everyone is doing that. You can watch Netflix or Hulu from your TV, mobile, PC, etc.

Their commercial has Kiefer Sutherland in a 24 knockoff. Are the kids into 24? Do they know who Kiefer Sutherland is? He was born two years too late to be legally considered a boomer. I suspect that it's going to subvert expectations and be about the 'real' Kiefer Sutherland or whatever and that's the show within a show.

Everyone is cooped up, and not really watching on their phones right now, which will be an easy out when the wheels fall off.

You know where there's free (ad-supported) 10-minute content that younglings already watch on any device? YouTube. YouTube also tries to put their celebrities out front too to make their platform appealing to advertisers. Network talk shows hosts, The Rock, Will Smith, etc., but that's not really who is driving the traffic. It's randos who become YouTube famous.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Speaking of authentic YouTubers though, check out 'Smiling Friends' on the Adult Swim website. It's a special/pilot that aired just after midnight on April Fool's Day that was the collaboration of internet talent PsychicPebbles, Michael Cusack, Sick Animation, Tom Fulp, OneyNG, Mike Stoklasa from RedLetterMedia, animation by Studio Yotta, etc. It really feels like a Newgrounds/YouTube all-stars show and twitter loves it.

Smiling Friends

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
You all stay safe and please stay inside. This shit is getting scarier by the minute. And don’t be embarrassed to wear gloves and mask when outside.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So been binging thru Wild Wild Country, Tiger King and Voyeur. Any other good documentaries on Netflix or Prime?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So been binging thru Wild Wild Country, Tiger King and Voyeur. Any other good documentaries on Netflix or Prime?
Prime has a bunch of hockey documentaries, at least for the US market.

'Behind the Curve' on Netflix has a Tiger King quality to it, although 'Babies' is the docuseries that has stuck with me most over the last few months.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Osceola County requiring face masks next week. Orange County considering it.

Sticks of Fire have been preparing for this for years, but a bandanna may not be for everyone.

Could the rest of us use a hockey sock?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
HBO's The Plot Against America is a frustrating show. It's got a good premise, but it moves kind of slow and becomes repetitive. I think they could have told this story in 3 or 4 episodes instead of 6.

It's got a Game of Thrones problem. Subtext isn't text. You can 'draw parallels' all you want, but very little plot movement seems to be happening. 'Parallels' are nonsense to begin with here since the underlying Lindbergh as President plot is invented anyway.

Maybe I have my expectations wrong, but I kind of want/expect to see bigger political ramifications if most of the show is people sitting around arguing over political news on the radio.

The show was created by David Simon and Ed Burns. Simon is best known for creating shows like The Wire, Treme, and The Deuce. Treme apparently got fantastic if you stuck with it, so maybe that's what's going on here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad