OT: COVID-19 general thread (read OP, post #841)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't know if it has to do with numbers being off bc it was Sunday or something but yesterday's numbers in NJ didn't go up as much as Saturday's. That's good?

Reactions: Darkauron

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I don't know if it has to do with numbers being off bc it was Sunday or something but yesterday's numbers in NJ didn't go up as much as Saturday's. That's good?

Yes. The fact the number hasn't grown much is good.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Has anyone else experienced this?

I went to the supermarket and was hyper aware of distancing.

On the drive home, I found myself keeping excessive distances from all the cars around me :dunce:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Wisconsin primary is being held for entirely political reasons unfortunately (and is in itself political talk), thus we're not discussing it here. Even if most of us are in agreement it's craven.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Bad news about USA? 100% believe it without question and blindly pedal it online. We are the WORST.

Bad news about another country? It's prob not true, or, hey just focus on USA.

200.webp

People are insufferable. It's also incredible people still proceed to take and report half baked "studies", anonymous quotes, or just blatant nonsensical journalist speculation/propaganda as fact (left, right, center, apolitical, everyone does it to affirm their own bias).

What bad news are you referring to?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Back in my day, when I had to walk three miles through eight foot deep snow to and from school, uphill both ways, journalism was a relatively prestigious career that was viable for a number of folks both in video and print media. The folks with bylines and television appearances tended to be older and had long since learned to tread carefully with stories and sources. In reading a bunch of my local coverage of the coronavirus issues, the pictures of the writers look like a bunch of 20 somethings, typically looking more towards 20 than 30, and the digital age has seemingly killed journalism as a viable career outside the television arena. I don't doubt if my suspicions are correct that the need to compete for clicks and the relative youth of the reporters might combine for a bad result at times of great stress. Now, I have no illusions that various governments won't act selfishly if they see the need and especially if that sort of action will quell criticism from their constituents.

You're right. Regardless of whether you like or dislike the NYT or Bloomberg or whatever, there's a reason that little "EDITORIAL" box has gotten bigger and bigger. People with opinions on information cause more controversy and thus generate more clicks than the information itself, which everyone has access to. It is asking way too much of the average person to think in terms of nuances and shades of gray. People pick their teams and arrive at the facts that support the team. These outlets are selling candy in the middle of the playground.

There's a big drawback to not paying for your content or paying bare minimum (Netflix, Spotify) - it's great in aggregate but specifically amazing things, a movie like The Godfather or the kind of reporting you only see in The Athletic, generally won't get pursued at that level of return on investment. And, content-wise, I think the whole world is suffering in a sense but doesn't realize it because the quantity > quality is a pretty innate reflex for most.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Gotta love world leaders that dont take things seriously and then it bites them in the ass.

I'm no fan of Boris, I hate his politics and views.

But this is kind of insensitive. The man reassuring sick people and frontline NHS staff, while a pretty boneheaded move, is a good gesture and actually expected from a British PM.

I mean, he's in intensive care right now after putting everything he has into this fight. BoJo has been one of the better world leaders since this started.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
oh nevermind read your handle after the fact. forgive me for assuming an american didn’t know british politics

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Everyone understands infection rates are leading indicators, right?

Everyone, including the president, has said this week and next week will be brutal in terms of deaths. Terrible obviously, but hoping for the best and a continued stagnation of infection #s (followed by a consistent drop).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Coronavirus fact check: Could your December cough have been COVID-19?

Very interesting article...seems like this has been going on since November

I believe 100% it was cycling the world late last year.

Did I have it? I’m not sure but I did get sick with the symptoms of Covid19 and for the first time in 20 years told my boss that I wasn’t coming into work. I ended up working from home for 4 days and sleeping most of the time. Whatever it was kicked my butt and I actually went to the Dr twice in 2 weeks (which is not like me) and tested negative for the flu. My wife a few weeks later ended up missing almost 2 weeks of work with the worst cough I have ever heard. It kept her up in the middle of the night because of even then still coughing.

To top it all off, the week before Christmas my mother goes into the hospital with shortness of breath, a fever and a bad cough. They ran the gambit of tests and they couldn’t figure out what she had. After 2 or 3 days she ended up being put on a respirator and couldn’t breath without it. Anyone in the room had to wear a mask and “not touch the patient”. We honestly thought we lost her but by some miracle she was able to come off the respirator after 5 or so days in the CCU. They never were able to diagnose what she had. I have no doubt now that she was an early case of this virus.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnny pierogi

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Everyone understands infection rates are leading indicators, right?

Everyone, including the president, has said this week and next week will be brutal in terms of deaths. Terrible obviously, but hoping for the best and a continued stagnation of infection #s (followed by a consistent drop).

Ya, they know how many are right now in the sad process of dying in hospitals, and preparing the public for brutal numbers.

Talked to a friend today whose cousin has it, it took 10 days to get the result after he tested. He lives with his grandmother. Enough said. Me personally think testing, testing, testing is the answer and develop quick results for as many people as ever possible.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

Did I have it? I’m not sure but I did get sick with the symptoms of Covid19 and for the first time in 20 years told my boss that I wasn’t coming into work. I ended up working from home and sleeping most of the time. Whatever it was kicked my butt and I actually went to the Dr twice in 2 weeks (which is not like me) and tested negative for the flu. My wife a few weeks later ended up missing almost 2 weeks of work with the worst cough I have ever heard. It kept her up in the middle of the night because of even then still coughing.

To top it all off, the week before Christmas my mother goes into the hospital with shortness of breath, a fever and a bad cough. They ran the gambit of tests and they couldn’t figure out what she had. After 2 or 3 days she ended up being put on a respirator and couldn’t breath without it. Anyone in the room had to wear a mask and “not touch the patient”. We honestly thought we lost her but by some miracle she was able to come off the respirator after 5 or so days in the CCU. They never were able to diagnose what she had. I have no doubt now that she was an early case of this virus.

Thank god your mom is okay.

My mom and both sisters also had a very bad fever with a severe cough. I had a severe fever and diarrhea.

I brought my mom and sister to a clinic because they couldn't take it anymore. They both tested negative to the Flu

Reactions: Ripshot 43

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ

Did I have it? I’m not sure but I did get sick with the symptoms of Covid19 and for the first time in 20 years told my boss that I wasn’t coming into work. I ended up working from home and sleeping most of the time. Whatever it was kicked my butt and I actually went to the Dr twice in 2 weeks (which is not like me) and tested negative for the flu. My wife a few weeks later ended up missing almost 2 weeks of work with the worst cough I have ever heard. It kept her up in the middle of the night because of even then still coughing.

Incredible. Is there a test yet that could tell you if you had it? Coupled with knowledge that your now are immune (which I understand is not 100% yet) you would be self-vaccined and could, say, go to work etc. or even volonteer at different things where you would know you cannot get infected. This is part of what I mean that testing is so crucial ( I think Cuomo talked about this in this morning's update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad