OT: COVID-19 general thread (read OP, post #841)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
it's not China's or the WHO's fault that we disbanded our pandemic team, spread misinformation to the public about the severity or downplayed the virus, failed to stock up on the necessary equipment or have a plan in place to coordinate a response among all 50 states, SOMETHING WE STILL DON"T HAVE. give me a break. im no scientist but even i could pinpoint the mistakes that were being made in real time. china's screw up doesn't absolve any of that.

The USA had no centralized testing or pandemic response. This entire thing had to be built from the ground up, which takes time to do so. I'm actually quite impressed at how much work the USA has done compared to other countries.

You would think after H1N1 (which infected over 60 Million people) it would have one, but nope. This neglect has been going on for years, even decades

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we had a pandemic team that was dismantled in 2018. there were red lights flashing about our lack of preparedness for a flu-like pandemic for years that was ignored including a national security council report that came out in 2019. there is still not enough testing and the entire process was delayed way beyond the point that it should have been. it didn't *have* to be built from the ground up that's just the way they decided to go about it

Reactions: njdevils309

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
china's screw up doesn't absolve any of that.

You're still completely avoiding my point:

Have you seen how AWFUL this is in Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Iran, Switzerland, Belgium, and-I-could-go-on?

Do you really think ALL their government's health agencies are completely incompetent?!?!?!

Though something just clicked for me, and I believe I've figured out why some Americans desperately & curiously wish to absolve China of blame, and it's truly depressing, but sadly I guess not to be unexpected at this point.

Reactions: Dialamo

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The USA had no centralized testing or pandemic response. This entire thing had to be built from the ground up, which takes time to do so. I'm actually quite impressed at how much work the USA has done compared to other countries.

You would think after H1N1 (which infected over 60 Million people) it would have one, but nope. This neglect has been going on for years, even decades

Agreed on both points. I dont see how anyone COULD disagree. Installing a national testing platform "on the fly", which didnt exist until a few weeks ago is pretty flippin' impressive in my book.

Reactions: Dialamo

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And this Pandemic team did jackshit... other then collect their paycheque.

I mean, honestly, there are a ton of things like this. It's just the nature of some positions. It was a calculated risk to disband the team. Looks like it bit them. That happens from time to time.

It can both be a blunder to disband a pandemic response team and be impressive that it was built back up so quickly.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
im not avoiding your point i just don't care because it's shifting away from the point that i was actually making. do you think those countries are successful? i don't. have other countries demonstrated an effective way to mitigate the threat of the virus? yes. are we doing what they did? no.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I mean, honestly, there are a ton of things like this. It's just the nature of some positions. It was a calculated risk to disband the team. Looks like it bit them. That happens from time to time.

It can both be a blunder to disband a pandemic response team and be impressive that it was built back up so quickly.

america is the richest and most advanced country in the world. there's no reason that it can't afford to support a pandemic team to prepare for this possibility. that's the government waste they need to target? sorry but i'd rather some rich people or corporations get taxed a little more and let our country be prepared for any and every threat we might face.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
also re: other countries. we are well on our way to be worse off than all of them. but sure let's keep churches open and come back in a month about how it was unavoidable and it's still china's fault

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To be fair we don’t even have enough masks readily available FOR the professionals, so having the public make an early run on them would have only exacerbated that issue and people trying to price gouge on eBay.

in fact it most likely already did that as there was a public run on PPE in the early days of this.

Regular folks should not be walking around with surgical masks and N95 masks when health care workers are struggling to get their hands on them.

Even more so because the majority of people do not use them properly.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
in fact it most likely already did that as there was a public run on PPE in the early days of this.

Regular folks should not be walking around with surgical masks and N95 masks when health care workers are struggling to get their hands on them.

Who is ready for the attempted lawsuits when people wearing masks in public still get the virus?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
im not avoiding your point i just don't care because it's shifting away from the point that i was actually making. do you think those countries are successful? i don't. have other countries demonstrated an effective way to mitigate the threat of the virus? yes. are we doing what they did? no.
Real tired of people comparing the US to countries with a 50th of the population and a 100th of the daily global travel.

Reactions: Darkauron

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
italy and korea and spain all have similar populations so a comparison to one smaller country is ok but another isn't?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Which nations?

South Korea - intelligently planned for this moment for more than a decade.

Singapore maybe? Similar answer, though its' such a tiny place without thriving travel that it's a helluva lot easier to lock-down.

That's about the end of the list AFAIK.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I realize we were told this by the CDC early-on, but I'm starting to wonder if it's true or not.

Q) What's the one thing all those Asian nations have in common regarding this virus?

A) Culturally, everybody wears either a disposable surgical mask or even a bandana over their face if they dont have one on hand.

South Korea - did everything right (has controlled the pandemic)

Japan - did everything wrong (has controlled the pandemic)

So I'm really starting to wonder if this virus is more infectious in aerosolized form than we believe. Just a thought, but after reading today how Japan has done far less "preparation" than America & has little virus, it makes me wonder.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The National Health Service of the entire United Kingdom had a total of 5,000 ventilators prior to this outbreak.

There's a topic of conversation......

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm all for requiring everyone wearing masks or some kind of face covering when out, not because it prevents them from contracting the virus, but because it prevents them from GIVING the virus to someone while they're asymptomatic. I know there's a shortage of masks, but there's other coverings that will prevent a cough or sneeze from traveling far.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
3M got caught selling to foreigners before the USA... lol

What a f***ing shit show, I hope they throw the book at them

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
3M got caught selling to foreigners before the USA... lol

What a f***ing shit show, I hope they throw the book at them

Not saying it's not shitty, but is it not their right to sell their products to whoever? Can they actually get in trouble by the government?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Not saying it's not shitty, but is it not their right to sell their products to whoever? Can they actually get in trouble by the government?

I mean your country is in a major crisis, you're one of the major suppliers of health supplies in the country, backed by the Govt...

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Tell me again how America's doing worse than any other country.

COVID19deathspercapita.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad