OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Swedish experts say Stockholm could have herd immunity already in May: they count on some 30% already had it there, and expect it to reach 60% within a month. I think the jury is still out on whether the Swedish strategy will have been the way to go, and countries are different, but I do hope they will succeed. Not the least since I could go back there and chill for a bit in summer.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And the parks will be overcrowded.
Even if they are, they won't be a high danger area in terms of transmission.

Parks by nature have tons of room to roam, and I think at this point, people are being reasonably smart about this.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Even if they are, they won't be a high danger area in terms of transmission.

Parks by nature have tons of room to roam, and I think at this point, people are being reasonably smart about this.
While I tend to agree, the local State park by me in NJ is Double Trouble state park. The last weekend it was "open" the parking lot was a gong show and overflowed onto the surrounding streets. Now the trails are fine but there was an absurd amount of people in the area for its typical capacity. I get it, people are going stir crazy, and I do agree with them opening back up. However, I think for most part people are idiots. There will be people NOT following the guidelines and NOT doing what they're supposed to do. Some people need their hands held through this and need to be told exactly what they can and can't do because, again, a lot of people are just dumb.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
While I tend to agree, the local State park by me in NJ is Double Trouble state park. The last weekend it was "open" the parking lot was a gong show and overflowed onto the surrounding streets. Now the trails are fine but there was an absurd amount of people in the area for its typical capacity. I get it, people are going stir crazy, and I do agree with them opening back up. However, I think for most part people are idiots. There will be people NOT following the guidelines and NOT doing what they're supposed to do. Some people need their hands held through this and need to be told exactly what they can and can't do because, again, a lot of people are just dumb.

"There's too many people on this Earth. We need a new plague." -Dwight K. Schrute

Don't forget selfish.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yes thankfully most people are much more sensible about this than politicians, so hopefully with parks people will still be keeping their distance and avoiding crowds but who knows. at least it’s not tattoo parlors and salons

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
id like to go for a hike but yeah, gonna wait a couple weeks to see if crowding is an issue

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Before the parks were closed, the trails near me were packed, but the only real issue was the runners not keeping distance because they were passing everyone while huffing and puffing everywhere. Walkers can keep distance from each other just fine. I started going out as dusk when it was mostly empty.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah it really depends what park you're going to and what you're going there for. If I have to get in a run I'll go to the spacious park in Morris Plains where you can keep your distance. If I'm just looking to sit outside and read I'll go to the park near me and find a secluded bench.

Honestly I get why parks were closed but if there's plenty of room to keep your distance then it's almost more counterproductive closing it, there's less space for people to go outdoors if they don't have their own backyard and are in townhouses/condos with too many people around for a stroll. OTOH the small park a couple blocks away from me has a narrow trail, I won't go walking there for a while.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
All the city folk buying up all the real estate out here in the country side is starting to piss me off.

Can't get shit out here right now

Camille the Eel

All the city folk buying up all the real estate out here in the country side is starting to piss me off.

Can't get shit out here right now
But surely it came to a halt last month? Because right now I can’t imagine how anyone would contract or close on a property. Must be a lot of people looking on line but I’d assumed the actual market was temporarily dead.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
at least it’s not tattoo parlors and salons
Most of the tattoo parlors I've ever been in (granted it's only a couple) are some of the most hygienic places I've ever been. Specifically the one that has done all of my work. I wouldn't be afraid to eat off the floor in that place.

Reactions: Darkauron

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
But surely it came to a halt last month? Because right now I can’t imagine how anyone would contract or close on a property. Must be a lot of people looking on line but I’d assumed the actual market was temporarily dead.

It's picked up even more over the last month or so. The real estate market is on fire out here right now. I went to a showing the other day and there were lines of people waiting to go in one by one. Had to wear a mask, gloves, and shoe covers. My agent said she had calls all day from New Yorkers and people from Jersey City, Hoboken, etc trying to get showings out here.

A lot of the New Yorkers and city folks are getting out of dodge and moving to the countryside.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
It's picked up even more over the last month or so. The real estate market is on fire out here right now. I went to a showing the other day and there were lines of people waiting to go in one by one. Had to wear a mask, gloves, and shoe covers. My agent said she had calls all day from New Yorkers and people from Jersey City, Hoboken, etc trying to get showings out here.

A lot of the New Yorkers and city folks are getting out of dodge and moving to the countryside.

Where/what county are you looking in? I live in Warren County and the majority of people here still have to commute towards NYC for work

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I had an appointment with my GP last week. He said he has had 35 patients with COVID and only 4 were hospitalized. They all responded to the plasma therapy. If anyone here has recovered or knows anyone who has you should consider donating plasma. It seems work and could really help someone else.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
And here we go ......... Wisconsin stay-at-home order lifted, bars reopen amid coronavirus

Capture1.PNG

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My 70+ year old neighbor came home yesterday after being in the hospital for just about two months with COVID...had to be close to 60 days... He is old but he was a big strong, strapping man... guessing 6'4 or 5 and probably 250-ish and built solidly...he doesn't look like the same person now. He is skinny hunched over and pale and can barely move. Feel terrible for the guy.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
went hike in west milford on wednesday. saw about 20 people on a 1.5 hour hike, but people are generally good at being distant

no one's really trying to talk to other groups while they're hiking anyway, so i THINK it should be safe to go. I WILL SAY allergies are really bad right now though, so take some meds before you go out, unless you want to get looks from sneezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad