COVID-19 Discussion (UPD: NHL Suspended/AHL Cancelled/California Shelter-at-Home)

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
If you continue to laugh, let me ask about your proficiency in a few things:

1) Darn a sock
2) Hem a skirt/pant
3) Cook at least 7 unique items
4) Be able to mix 5 (at least 3 of which are common) drinks
5) Basic auto maintenance (change oil/tire/fluids)
6) General home repair (at least be able to diagnose problems)
7) Keep a budget (preferably in your head, as a matter of habit)
8) Negotiate a major purchase/contract/salary
9) Know the phone numbers and major dates of at least five people
10) Do basic non-algebraic math in your head

Such concludes, as my cousins removed would say, the boomeriest post ever.

Man, I don't know anything useful that's not related to audio engineering. My brain is filled with either trivia or useless movie references.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
2) Do basic OS maintenance (de-fragment, clean memory), can update my software/ad-blockers/anti-spyware, and understand what drivers are and how to change them.
3) Disassemble and clean my computer; I could probably install new hardware.

If you can do those two, it is fairly easy to install new hardware, you should be fine if you need to.

Regarding the bottom list, I remember a time before mobile phones when I could remember everyone's number. Now I can't even remember my own, my wife needs to remind me every time.

Reactions: landshark

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If you can do those two, it is fairly easy to install new hardware, you should be fine if you need to.

I was thinking of adding a hard drive. I'm still a little wary about compatibility issues, but I am confident about opening the case and plugging the right things into the right spot. The Internet is such a wonderful resource in that I can find someone installing the same exact product into the same exact computer model with the same available tools.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I know that serious shit is going down on the streets of San Jose

I don't live in the city proper anymore, but I'm thinking of all those of you who do, stay safe

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It was my understanding that while a kind of quarantine is still in place in SJ, the city had largely avoided being devestated by the virus (unlike, say, Manhattan).

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
It was my understanding that while a kind of quarantine is still in place in SJ, the city had largely avoided being devestated by the virus (unlike, say, Manhattan).

Its because of the SIP but this will mostly like be reversed due to protests and riots.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Bragging just a little bit, I've used some of this downtime to brush up on my technology skills as I've disliked having to rely on family members.

Now, I can:

1) Watch online content region-free and shrink/make DVDs/VCDs as well as stream content from my computer to my television or almost any device.
2) Do basic OS maintenance (de-fragment, clean memory), can update my software/ad-blockers/anti-spyware, and understand what drivers are and how to change them.
3) Disassemble and clean my computer; I could probably install new hardware.
4) Automate my devices; I've set up some smart-home entertainment and safety systems at ~90% functionality.
5) Be far more sophisticated with social media like Facebook, Twitter, and Snapshot.
6) More capable with advanced Excel/Sheets features.
7) Use the Jupyter environment as I need it; also I learned how to use GitHub much more effectively.
8) Use Swyping on my mobile to make typing much better; in general, I'm far more comfortable now with non-computer applications.

The height of this was today as I successfully unlocked my iPad device and can install non-store apps.

I'm sure for you youngins this stuff is laughably easy and something you can do in your sleep, but I've always had an (unnecessary) trepidation towards these things.
If you continue to laugh, let me ask about your proficiency in a few things:

1) Darn a sock
2) Hem a skirt/pant
3) Cook at least 7 unique items
4) Be able to mix 5 (at least 3 of which are common) drinks
5) Basic auto maintenance (change oil/tire/fluids)
6) General home repair (at least be able to diagnose problems)
7) Keep a budget (preferably in your head, as a matter of habit)
8) Negotiate a major purchase/contract/salary
9) Know the phone numbers and major dates of at least five people
10) Do basic non-algebraic math in your head

Such concludes, as my cousins removed would say, the boomeriest post ever.

That's awesome! I've been meaning to get better OS and general computer maintenance, but keep putting it off until i can afford a computer that isn't a 2012 model i purchased off my old employer....

How did you go about learning these things? any recommended tools or services?

As far as your other proficiency checklist, i laughed at knowing the phone numbers and major dates of people. I couldnt tell you any phone numbers of friends i made after 2006, save some SOs, but i have my friend's old home phone numbers and first cell phone numbers tattoo'd into my brain, with cadences etc. In Thailand we dont even use phone numbers. We have them, but everyone communicates through an app called LINE. even important work chats and calls are done through LINE. If my GFs phone number wasn't my wifi password, idk if i'd even know hers! (i jest)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That's awesome! I've been meaning to get better OS and general computer maintenance, but keep putting it off until i can afford a computer that isn't a 2012 model i purchased off my old employer....

How did you go about learning these things? any recommended tools or services?

As far as your other proficiency checklist, i laughed at knowing the phone numbers and major dates of people. I couldnt tell you any phone numbers of friends i made after 2006, save some SOs, but i have my friend's old home phone numbers and first cell phone numbers tattoo'd into my brain, with cadences etc. In Thailand we dont even use phone numbers. We have them, but everyone communicates through an app called LINE. even important work chats and calls are done through LINE. If my GFs phone number wasn't my wifi password, idk if i'd even know hers! (i jest)

Honestly, Google and YouTube are great resources. Typing "how does x work" is usually sufficient. At the last, you will get linked to some education websites (often with promotions on free courses).

Reactions: tiburon12

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Honestly, Google and YouTube are great resources. Typing "how does x work" is usually sufficient. At the last, you will get linked to some education websites (often with promotions on free courses).

Yeah but how long does it take you to locate the internet browser and type that in? :sarcasm:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah but how long does it take you to locate the internet browser and type that in? :sarcasm:

That's always been pretty easy. All different browsers (for different tasks) are just on my desktop and have some sort of Google toolbar. I'm not that tech-incompetent!

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
That's always been pretty easy. All different browsers (for different tasks) are just on my desktop and have some sort of Google toolbar. I'm not that tech-incompetent!
this made my head hurt

Also, news that both cowboys and texans have positive players, i wonder if that slows any other sports down

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
If those people spread it to people who perhaps they live with or have to see at work or somewhere else, is it still only just affecting them? What about workers at stores? Someone has to do those jobs, and not everyone can consent to those risks willingly.

Again, I get it. My main job is live audio engineering, which is just not a thing right now because all shows are cancelled for the foreseeable future. I'm a generally-healthy 27-year old and a low-risk person, but the fact that I could spread it to my family makes me re-consider going out or seeing too many people.
If you live with people that are older or don't want to give it to your family, then same as above... don't go out.

Don't want to risk getting it at work and can prove why you absolutely can't get it? Get on unemployment and again.. don't go out.

The current way the COVID unemployment is stupid where non-essential jobs are allowed to collect more on unemployment than a lot of people that are being forced to work are making actually having to work, but thankfully there's a solution for all of that. Give people who have a demonstrable need to be able to stay at home (old, live with old people, care for old people, existing medical conditions, etc.) the unemployment and if you have no reason to collect unemployment besides that you're afraid, idk, tough shit dude.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
If you live with people that are older or don't want to give it to your family, then same as above... don't go out.

Don't want to risk getting it at work and can prove why you absolutely can't get it? Get on unemployment and again.. don't go out.

The current way the COVID unemployment is stupid where non-essential jobs are allowed to collect more on unemployment than a lot of people that are being forced to work are making actually having to work, but thankfully there's a solution for all of that. Give people who have a demonstrable need to be able to stay at home (old, live with old people, care for old people, existing medical conditions, etc.) the unemployment and if you have no reason to collect unemployment besides that you're afraid, idk, tough shit dude.

Yea, so maybe workers should actually be paid well and not given just starvation wages.

You and I are going to fundamentally disagree on the nature of society so I won't get too much deeper into it, but I just personally believe that in a country where healthcare isn't available for everyone and no one gets paid well enough to survive in the first place, maybe we should take a global pandemic a little more seriously.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Not going out isn’t an actual option as a real way to avoid the virus and it’s callous ignorance to just tell people tough shit.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Not going out isn’t an actual option as a real way to avoid the virus and it’s callous ignorance to just tell people tough shit.
How is that not an option? Isn't that what everyone has been supposed to be doing the past few months?

So, we should just allow everyone to say at home and collect money, regardless if they're at risk or not? Okay. How do we get that money? Oh, that's right! Taxes. Taxes that are paid by people working. How many people will voluntarily work if given an option to stay at home and get the same or more of a paycheck? No one. Then who is paying the taxes needed to pay everyone to sit at home?

So, unless there is a legitimate reason of why you cannot work due to the virus besides of being afraid, why do you deserve the same paycheck as the person that is still having to work?

Should I just never have to work and still get a paycheck because driving in a car to work is dangerous and I'm afraid that I *might* get injured on the way to work?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
How is that not an option? Isn't that what everyone has been supposed to be doing the past few months?

So, we should just allow everyone to say at home and collect money, regardless if they're at risk or not? Okay. How do we get that money? Oh, that's right! Taxes. Taxes that are paid by people working. How many people will voluntarily work if given an option to stay at home and get the same or more of a paycheck? No one. Then who is paying the taxes needed to pay everyone to sit at home?

So, unless there is a legitimate reason of why you cannot work due to the virus besides of being afraid, why do you deserve the same paycheck as the person that is still having to work?

Should I just never have to work and still get a paycheck because driving in a car to work is dangerous and I'm afraid that I *might* get injured on the way to work?
Maybe the unsupervised $500 billion in corporate bailout should've gone to the people instead. Or we could've used any of the billions from all the constant corporate tax cuts they've been rolling out over the last couple years.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

I'm so sick of this argument. It's cynical and doesn't apply to the real world. People are motivated because people like to actually do things.

Maybe we'd be able to support more people if Amazon or any number of corporations actually paid taxes, instead of forcing it upon people who are already struggling.

And car crashes don't spread. We also have many, many laws set up to prevent crashes or the effects of crashes to the best of our ability as a society.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe the unsupervised $500 billion in corporate bailout should've gone to the people instead. Or we could've used any of the billions from all the constant corporate tax cuts they've been rolling out over the last couple years.
I don't disagree with that at all, but that doesn't really answer my question as it's a little too late for that.

I'm so sick of this argument. It's cynical and doesn't apply to the real world. People are motivated because people like to actually do things.

Maybe we'd be able to support more people if Amazon or any number of corporations actually paid taxes, instead of forcing it upon people who are already struggling.

And car crashes don't spread. We also have many, many laws set up to prevent crashes or the effects of crashes to the best of our ability as a society.
You are absolutely naive to think otherwise. Would you rather take a job that pays you $54K a year to work full time or a job that pays you $54K a year to do whatever you want to do? Why would anyone voluntarily do more for less? Yes, there might be a small percentage of people, but the vast majority of people would rather get paid to stay at home than go to work, especially if it's one of the unlucky people that would make more on COVID unemployment than having to work. Sitting at home doesn't mean you can't do anything productive to fill that void either.

I commute 100 miles a day to work. I am a healthy, young person. I probably have a similar chance of getting coronavirus and then dying from it as I do from commuting to work. Someone else can crash into me and kill me on the highway, the same as someone could give me coronavirus and kill me at work.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I don't disagree with that at all, but that doesn't really answer my question as it's a little too late for that.

You are absolutely naive to think otherwise. Would you rather take a job that pays you $54K a year to work full time or a job that pays you $54K a year to do whatever you want to do? Why would anyone voluntarily do more for less? Yes, there might be a small percentage of people, but the vast majority of people would rather get paid to stay at home than go to work, especially if it's one of the unlucky people that would make more on COVID unemployment than having to work. Sitting at home doesn't mean you can't do anything productive to fill that void either.

This is assuming that people hate their jobs because they have to do something, rather than doing something that's actually fulfilling. Would I rather be at home doing nothing than doing the things I do right now for work? God no, I'd go insane.

Let's face it, most jobs don't really matter and most could or should just be automated.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
This is assuming that people hate their jobs because they have to do something, rather than doing something that's actually fulfilling. Would I rather be at home doing nothing than doing the things I do right now for work? God no, I'd go insane.

Let's face it, most jobs don't really matter and most could or should just be automated.
Would you do your job for free over anything else for 40 hours a week or do you do it because it's something you don't hate and you get paid for it?

Would you still do your job if you won the Powerball and you didn't need it to pay bills?

I have a great job and get to do awesome stuff. I get to build and design firefighting planes. If someone offered me the same amount of money to do whatever I wanted, I'm not working on planes anymore.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Would you do your job for free over anything else for 40 hours a week or do you do it because it's something you don't hate and you get paid for it?

Would you still do your job if you won the Powerball and you didn't need it to pay bills?

I have a great job and get to do awesome stuff. I get to build and design firefighting planes. If someone offered me the same amount of money to do whatever I wanted, I'm not working on planes anymore.

Yes, and I did for a long time. I do it because it's fulfilling for me and it's what I'd be doing either way. Hell, if I won the Powerball, I'd spend all that money on stuff to help me do my job better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad