COVID-19 Discussion (UPD: NHL Suspended/AHL Cancelled/California Shelter-at-Home)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
While the movie story was meh, I admit the pre-title sequence of the Spy Who Loved Me is one of the best. (Also rockin' music for that)

(The book of that title had a much different storyline.)

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
While the movie story was meh, I admit the pre-title sequence of the Spy Who Loved Me is one of the best. (Also rockin' music for that)

(The book of that title had a much different storyline.)

Imo the Spy Who Loved Me is one of the better Moore movies. I grew up more with his movies anyway, so he was always my favorite Bond. And yea, Nobody Does it Better is a top-3 theme -- that and Moonraker are probably the best, along with maybe Live and Let Die or Thunderball.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't know how anybody can see what happened in Italy and what's going on in NYC and want that instead of SIP.
Rich people bought by other rich people.

I have a brother in law in Vegas who works in an orchestra. He's obviously not getting jobs, so he has nothing but time to think up conspiracies. I feel bad for him, but hard times can bring out the worst in people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavelski2112

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Brutal news for our local hockey community. Our main rink, which was not making any money and in need of significant repairs, closed for good. There's rumors of a new rink being built, but that could take years. Hockey in Thailand just took a major step back after taking a major step forward in 2019

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Her recent interview with Anderson Cooper was so cringe. I got through it, but I'm a masochist. :laugh:

I watched it live. My only regret is that I didn't get some popcorn going as soon as I heard that she'd be interviewed. Otherwise, a thoroughly entertaining trainwreck.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
God this lockdown sucks so much. I think we took it too far. Gf has a lot of signs that she has breast cancer but Dr.s are unable to get her in to get imaging done. So of course we are both going nuts not being able to get a resolution.

Reactions: Sandisfan

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
God this lockdown sucks so much. I think we took it too far. Gf has a lot of signs that she has breast cancer but Dr.s are unable to get her in to get imaging done. So of course we are both going nuts not being able to get a resolution.

I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you guys. I hope she can get an appointment soon.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

ESPN article with Sharks president talking about plans to return to play, and the long list of possible scenarios.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Something prompted me to dust off my Wii to play NHL Hitz 2002 (gamecube disc) and I ran into an obstacle from the 2000s: No AA batteries!

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
was reading a story about the league shutting down and just realized that the day that the NHL officially announced the suspension of the season was also my birthday. :laugh:

Sorry. I guess that means it's my fault there's no hockey.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Government layoffs as the sales tax, gas tax and other income is reduced.

(Nevada = huge layoffs at multiple governmental layers as income from gambling, travel - car rentals and hotel stays - is down to almost zero)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bragging just a little bit, I've used some of this downtime to brush up on my technology skills as I've disliked having to rely on family members.

Now, I can:

1) Watch online content region-free and shrink/make DVDs/VCDs as well as stream content from my computer to my television or almost any device.
2) Do basic OS maintenance (de-fragment, clean memory), can update my software/ad-blockers/anti-spyware, and understand what drivers are and how to change them.
3) Disassemble and clean my computer; I could probably install new hardware.
4) Automate my devices; I've set up some smart-home entertainment and safety systems at ~90% functionality.
5) Be far more sophisticated with social media like Facebook, Twitter, and Snapshot.
6) More capable with advanced Excel/Sheets features.
7) Use the Jupyter environment as I need it; also I learned how to use GitHub much more effectively.
8) Use Swyping on my mobile to make typing much better; in general, I'm far more comfortable now with non-computer applications.

The height of this was today as I successfully unlocked my iPad device and can install non-store apps.

I'm sure for you youngins this stuff is laughably easy and something you can do in your sleep, but I've always had an (unnecessary) trepidation towards these things.
If you continue to laugh, let me ask about your proficiency in a few things:

1) Darn a sock
2) Hem a skirt/pant
3) Cook at least 7 unique items
4) Be able to mix 5 (at least 3 of which are common) drinks
5) Basic auto maintenance (change oil/tire/fluids)
6) General home repair (at least be able to diagnose problems)
7) Keep a budget (preferably in your head, as a matter of habit)
8) Negotiate a major purchase/contract/salary
9) Know the phone numbers and major dates of at least five people
10) Do basic non-algebraic math in your head

Such concludes, as my cousins removed would say, the boomeriest post ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad