COVID-19 (Coronavirus) (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
More details emerge.

"I think a safe and effective vaccine will be available initially in December," Gen. Gustave Perna told NPR's Mary Louise Kelly in an interview Monday. If the Food and Drug Administration authorizes a vaccine by then, "10 to 30 million doses of vaccine will be available that we can start distributing."

If a vaccine is in hand in December, availability "will expand rapidly in January, February, March, April," Perna told NPR, describing a "steady cadence" of vaccine rollout that could result in most Americans getting access to a shot by mid-2021.

Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
CNN is not reliable either.

This is CNN's fact checker:

tenor.gif

@KIRK with the assist.

Not really sure the boom gif is warranted here. Sounds like a tweetcolyte saying "but, you said they're not their."

Sideline

May 23, 2004
This shit right here *gestures at thread* is such a microcosm of the nation in its current state. Like, take the damn (potential) win. Who cares who did or didn't fund it.

Good one, Randy.

Seriously, Randy is right. We're looking at positive news. Lets all be happy. Except HSL because that's impossible, but the rest of us have no excuse.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I had posted previous studies mentioning medium and long term physical complications from covid and other coronaviruses, but this is the first one I've seen discussing mental health complications from covid. This study found an increase in outcomes for depression, anxiety, insomnia as well as dementia in covid patients. Mortality has been a focus for some, but there have been more studies showing adverse affects that can affect quality of life for the long term. Full study here.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Azar said the pharmaceutical giant is ramping up to deliver 20 million doses of its coronavirus vaccine monthly by the end of November.

Azar forecasted that there would be enough of the vaccine to inoculate at-risk nursing home residents, health care workers and first responders by the end of January and that there should be "enough for all Americans by the end of March to early April to have general vaccination programs."

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
How will the economy run without children at schools!

It’s just for the worst effected areas and it’s temporary. Maybe a couple of months. Then they can go to a hybrid model (part in school, part at home). Then full school when numbers are low.

I mean if your kids are older than say 10 that should be reasonable for them to be at home doing home school. Get creative use retired relatives for younger kids. Businesses need to adapt too.

My other question would be what happens to the economy if we continue to half ass it. Most people I know aren’t going to restaurants, retail stores etc so those businesses are taking a hit already, like a slow death.

Goverments can fill gaps with $$$ of those who can’t manage.

It’s happened successfully elsewhere.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
*supposed to be human-mink-human

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s just for the worst effected areas and it’s temporary. Maybe a couple of months. Then they can go to a hybrid model (part in school, part at home). Then full school when numbers are low.

I mean if your kids are older than say 10 that should be reasonable for them to be at home doing home school. Get creative use retired relatives for younger kids. Businesses need to adapt too.

My other question would be what happens to the economy if we continue to half ass it. Most people I know aren’t going to restaurants, retail stores etc so those businesses are taking a hit already, like a slow death.

As a parent, if you can’t figure out how to balance kids and your work life. Maybe, you shouldn’t have completed that quest.

Also, if your business is going to fire you for having to take care of your kid, I mean. I dunno.

I have no family members to take care of my kids, I have no income but my own coming into my family, I have had to have my spouse quit her job and make financial adjustments to watch our kid.

I get people are in comprising situations, but we can make schools not being open work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
As a parent, if you can’t figure out how to balance kids and your work life. Maybe, you shouldn’t have completed that quest.

Also, if your business is going to fire you for having to take care of your kid, I mean. I dunno.

I have no family members to take care of my kids, I have no income but my own coming into my family, I have had to have my spouse quit her job and make financial adjustments to watch our kid.

For sure. Also if businesses haven’t worked ways and allow people that can work from home then they aren’t serious either.

I believe if it can be done let’s do it but also that people are morons. It’s not exclusive to the US but because of the population they’ll have more morons so that in itself can be challenging.

Not that I’m sitting on a high horse in Canada. We’re kinda ****ed too until a vaccine comes out unless our Public Health Officers/Government do better. The majority are doing the right thing but even though the morons are in the minority there’s still too many and the numbers prove that. Only tougher restrictions/enforcement can fix that.

I’m lucky my employer will go above and beyond to make sure everyone is safe. The office can work from home and the people in the field are given PPE. The owners wife made multiple reusable masks for everyone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I used to have the "shut down all schools due to COVID-19" stance, but it's honestly much more of a shade of grey at this point. On one hand, having schools open is going to guarantee the spread of COVID-19. Being a child doesn't mean you magically can't spread COVID-19, and it was frankly a nonsensical argument in the first place. But on the other hand, schools serve more purposes beyond educating kids. I used to mischaracterize that argument as "these parents hate their kids after having to spend time with them" (and I still think there is a group that is doing this), but it's a lot more that schools offer government programs that aren't available to kids at home and a lot of homes don't have the infrastructure available to support at home learning. Things like reduced price/free breakfasts and lunches, internet access and freedom from abusive families are a factor in the decision to close schools.

In general, I think there is a large group of kids/families that can support at home learning. Any family that has the capability to support at home learning (in the form of internet speeds, computers and such) that doesn't need additional benefits of schools should have their kids be learning at home. But assuming all families can support that is highly idealistic and greatly ignores what struggles a ton of families go through. If you start saying "rich families can't send their kids to school because they can support at home learning, but everyone else can", you're opening up an absolute shitstorm.

To add, I'm someone who's extremely child-free and generally think people shouldn't have kids. It's not a black and white question with schools. Things like restaurants and bars are very clear, but schools are complicated.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mods can delete this if it counts as political (since Andrew Yang was a Democrat presidential candidate), but Yang had a discussion on this in one of his podcasts a few months ago:

I love Yang so I'm biased, but listening to this podcast really made me think about the idea of shutting schools down.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
At this point why are we arguing over what in the end is the fringes.

Timeline:

A. Six weeks, deaths cut 80 to 90 percent as the most vulnerable are vaccinated.

B. Five to six months everyone vaccinated.

Between A and B continuously diminishing death and infection numbers and a greater return to normalcy.

International Travel, with safety measures, will resume in two to three months. Restaurants opening more, easing of other restrictions, etc.

It is much easier to deal with hardship when the light is so close to the end of the tunnel. We remain fighting over minutia and really just dig down and survive this a relatively small time more.

Every single week will get a bit better.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
This seems to support the data in my last post. In their latest weekly report, the CDC looked at data between March and August and saw that about 9% of surviving patients that were hospitalized for covid were readmitted to the same hospital within 2 months of discharge. This might be undercounting it some since it only tracked readmittance to the same hospital. Nevertheless, there seems to be a growing amount of evidence showing that there are health complications from covid so please be careful.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Bars and restaurants closed here for nearly 6 weeks yet we have hit the same levels as April / May. Of course, nothing to do with malls/stores/schools being open with only masks on show. Sure as shit no social distancing up and down the aisles.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At this point why are we arguing over what in the end is the fringes.

Timeline:

A. Six weeks, deaths cut 80 to 90 percent as the most vulnerable are vaccinated.

B. Five to six months everyone vaccinated.

Between A and B continuously diminishing death and infection numbers and a greater return to normalcy.

International Travel, with safety measures, will resume in two to three months. Restaurants opening more, easing of other restrictions, etc.

It is much easier to deal with hardship when the light is so close to the end of the tunnel. We remain fighting over minutia and really just dig down and survive this a relatively small time more.

Every single week will get a bit better.

Nah, this is something I don't agree with at all. A vaccine is not a magic bullet to stop this. This is going to get way, way worse before it gets better. It will only start getting better until you vaccinate a large enough group of people to hurt the spread.

Cases are exploding right now, with the US having 130k new cases a day at this point and going on the upward trend. This is not a "things will get better because we have a vaccine" situation.

People trying to minimize COVID-19 are making a mistake. No, do not tell people that things are okay now because of a vaccine. It's not true and it causes people to become complacent, which will only make things worse before the vaccine comes out. A vaccine is not a magic bullet, people still need to be concerned with their surroundings and stay vigilant.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nah, this is something I don't agree with at all. A vaccine is not a magic bullet to stop this. This is going to get way, way worse before it gets better. It will only start getting better until you vaccinate a large enough group of people to hurt the spread.

Cases are exploding right now, with the US having 130k new cases a day at this point and going on the upward trend. This is not a "things will get better because we have a vaccine" situation.

People trying to minimize COVID-19 are making a mistake. No, do not tell people that things are okay now because of a vaccine. It's not true and it causes people to become complacent, which will only make things worse before the vaccine comes out. A vaccine is not a magic bullet, people still need to be concerned with their surroundings and stay vigilant.

You misread me. I in fact said the same thing as you did, many times in fact. A fear that the vaccine will lead to being even more lax with social distancing and masking, etc.

The timeline and optimism that I express above can coexist with stressing that until this is completely gone we have to continue to act like sane human beings until this is gone. They are concepts that can coexist.

The 90% plus efficacy rate of the new MRNA based vaccines is a game changer for the time frame though. I was convinced that we were going to have to live with this until 2022. A 90% plus efficacy halves that.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Trying to help people? This is America, comrade. We have "freedoms" or something.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Trying to help people? This is America, comrade. We have "freedoms" or something.

Haha. For sure. My rants still apply to where I live(Vancouver). Which is more annoying because it’d be much easier to drive numbers down here.

@Jaded-Fan I am super positive about the vaccines. I have a big smile on my face. Even if it’s 9 months or more still until there is a more normal feel to life I can take that because yeah we can see the light (the good kind).

In the meantime where I live ICU and death numbers are really rising, aged care homes are taking big hits again and schools are seeing a big trend of infections upwards. We also have a Public Health Officer here that keeps saying schools are safe and never mentions outbreaks in the media. Contact tracers didn’t think it was necessary to tell a teacher that one of her students had Covid. She found out from the student who was worried about falling behind being off 2 weeks. Our leadership could be much much stronger and help drive numbers down and prevent more deaths.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad