OT: COVID 19 - Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, they are all going to be masked which I’m cool with. I just don’t like the idea of her spending the night, but whatever.

I’m handling like 5 people testing positive a day at my work right now.

When this all ends look into visiting Vancouver. One of the best places for those who love outdoor activities and breathtaking nature.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, they are all going to be masked which I’m cool with. I just don’t like the idea of her spending the night, but whatever.

I’m handling like 5 people testing positive a day at my work right now.

SMH, those are rookie numbers. My site had 26 positives last week and the company as a whole had 70 confirmed cases. But they say "nO sPrEaD aT wOrK!!!" so they're not doing anything about it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
SMH, those are rookie numbers. My site had 26 positives last week and the company as a whole had 70 confirmed cases. But they say "nO sPrEaD aT wOrK!!!" so they're not doing anything about it.

If you say it three times, close your eyes, and click your heels together it will be true.

Tell HR. They will believe it and want to try it.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I was looking at the NPR website you posted the other day for at least Allegheny. Ironically the 2 around me were insanely low Sewickley/Kennedy. One was only at 29% capacity and only 4% of that due to COVID. Then looking at size of hospital mattered, too. Obviously.

But the thing that caught my attention the most.. ICU Beds from COVID % was way lower than I thought. It was interesting to see that. I didn't think that data showed enough evidence to totally lock it down in AC.

I did randomly search around to like Philly and other bigger metros that needed a flatten. Although Philly wasn't too unique as some of their hospitals still had tons of capacity.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you say it three times, close your eyes, and click your heels together it will be true.

Tell HR. They will believe it and want to try it.

It's kinda just mind-blowing to me, and just makes me think more and more that companies only care about not being sued instead of protecting their employees.

But I imagine most people knew that even before the pandemic :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's kinda just mind-blowing to me, and just makes me think more and more that companies only care about not being sued instead of protecting their employees.

But I imagine most people knew that even before the pandemic :laugh:

Tbh. This is a very unique situation and if your essential, that is the reality. Also, out of the 100+ cases I’ve handled none of them are considered spread either. The only spread we’ve seen is people traveling together or living together none that can be tied into work if people are adhering to our guidelines.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbh. This is a very unique situation and if your essential, that is the reality. Also, out of the 100+ cases I’ve handled none of them are considered spread either. The only spread we’ve seen is people traveling together or living together none that can be tied into work if people are adhering to our guidelines.

Yeah, this is basically the logic they were presenting. It makes sense, but they're also using that logic to say "we don't need to do anything", which is flawed IMO. It's way too reactive when the company should be trying to be proactive. It's totally fair to say "we don't need to shut down because we can operate safely with people following the guidelines", but I don't like how they're saying "we don't need to do anything because we can operate safely with people following the guidelines".

I don't think the lab should shut down or anything like that, but I do think there should be a push for people to alter their work schedules (such as working nights or weekends) to limit how many people are on site at any given time. The ideal solution should be to have people who can telework work from home and spread out people who have to be in the lab by having people work different shifts or weekends. I already shifted one of my weekdays for a Saturday at work to try and help that some, but it seems very rare for people being willing to do that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, this is basically the logic they were presenting. It makes sense, but they're also using that logic to say "we don't need to do anything", which is flawed IMO. It's way too reactive when the company should be trying to be proactive.

I don't think the lab should shut down or anything like that, but I do think there should be a push for people to alter their work schedules (such as working nights or weekends) to limit how many people are on site at any given time. The ideal solution should be to have people who can telework work from home and spread out people who have to be in the lab by having people work different shifts or weekends.

I mean, that is great in concept, but try to tell people that..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, that is great in concept, but try to tell people that..

Yeah it's a hard sell because people are selfish and don't want to have any sort of inconveniences for them. If nothing else, this whole pandemic has definitely made me more negative/jaded towards the average person.

Look at the whole anti-mask thing. Wearing a mask is literally no inconvenience, but people have to be difficult about it because "muh freedoms" or some dumb shit like that.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah it's a hard sell because people are selfish and don't want to have any sort of inconveniences for them. If nothing else, this whole pandemic has definitely made me more negative/jaded towards the average person.

Look at the whole anti-mask thing. Wearing a mask is literally no inconvenience, but people have to be difficult about it because "muh freedoms" or some dumb shit like that.

Pretty much. Plus, like you said corporations don’t give a shit about anyone in reality, just the people in the orgs do.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I was looking at the NPR website you posted the other day for at least Allegheny. Ironically the 2 around me were insanely low Sewickley/Kennedy. One was only at 29% capacity and only 4% of that due to COVID. Then looking at size of hospital mattered, too. Obviously.

But the thing that caught my attention the most.. ICU Beds from COVID % was way lower than I thought. It was interesting to see that. I didn't think that data showed enough evidence to totally lock it down in AC.

I did randomly search around to like Philly and other bigger metros that needed a flatten. Although Philly wasn't too unique as some of their hospitals still had tons of capacity.

I looked at the #s for my wife's hospital. They were wildly off. Even the covid patient total was like 30% low. If they're using old data, it was at least a month or so old, and even then didn't line up with the ICU #s. I didn't track down their source info, although I am curious about the differences. Since I'm comparing to internal ones ...

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I looked at the #s for my wife's hospital. They were wildly off. Even the covid patient total was like 30% low. If they're using old data, it was at least a month or so old, and even then didn't line up with the ICU #s. I didn't track down their source info, although I am curious about the differences. Since I'm comparing to internal ones ...

There is just such an easy solution.... just have hospital representatives actually speak to what is common and where they are. And also what is in the back pocket in case of emergency because we all know that absolutely exists.

And the other thing I just want to see to understand is someone show me actual evidence gyms are spreading. Show me restaurants. Show me everything. Because if you break space, similar airflow, traffic, etc down - a typical grocery market has to be masssssssssively more risky than things like a gym.

The easiest solution to all of this is showing the truth. Because let's be real - that website typically leans one way. So it's not like i'm cherry picking out here. In the original lockdown, our hospitals in Pittsburgh came right out and said they had capacity.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
My gf works at our local mall and one of her cowokers came up positive. I dropped my gf off for work yesterday and she texted me saying they want everyone to get tested and to come get her. She was around the coworker at work 6 days ago which is when that person would've already been infected. Luckily her other coworker who was there that day, has already been tested and came up negative.

My lady got her test last night and we are awaiting her results over the next couple days. We live with my parents right now who are over 60 and my mom has asthma and my older brother has Crohns, so fingers crossed that all is well. So far everyone is fine, thankfully. She's actually quite happy for the time off work to quarantine.

Hope everyone else here and their loved ones are staying healthy and such.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I looked up the hospital I work in and I can tell you the numbers are off. We are currently changing normal floors into Covid floors (negative air, etc.) because we don’t have the room for all of them.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
There is just such an easy solution.... just have hospital representatives actually speak to what is common and where they are. And also what is in the back pocket in case of emergency because we all know that absolutely exists.

Hospitals aren't willing to go public. They're even threatening/restricting what employees are allowed to say. Not talking HIPAA data either, just overall status. And it's not just hospitals either. I've even seen some state board level type stuff that is intended to limit what can be said, with penalties for violations up to and including loss of license.

And the other thing I just want to see to understand is someone show me actual evidence gyms are spreading. Show me restaurants. Show me everything. Because if you break space, similar airflow, traffic, etc down - a typical grocery market has to be masssssssssively more risky than things like a gym.

Well, for one thing, in a grocery store you're in a much less enclosed space (greater volume), constantly moving, and not in contact with anyone for what is considered above the safe threshold as far as time limits go. Restaurants/bars, you're literally there to ingest things for a time period that is likely to be above the safe limit, it's a more enclosed space, and you're stationary. Gym, I'm sure there's additional risk just based on everyone constantly exerting themselves and increased exhalation, not to mention everyone touching each piece of equipment.

Restaurants, gyms, hotels pose highest COVID-19 risk, study says

The easiest solution to all of this is showing the truth. Because let's be real - that website typically leans one way. So it's not like i'm cherry picking out here. In the original lockdown, our hospitals in Pittsburgh came right out and said they had capacity.

The original lockdown in Pittsburgh also happened at a time when the virus really was only hammering other locations. So it's no surprise that they could handle it at the time.

Reactions: Factorial

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pens1566.. sorry to bring basic mathematics into this but the amount of people per square footage per traffic vs. opposing places is just fundamentally the most incorrect thing I've ever heard. I am sorry to pick one thing out, but we cannot change basic math to fit a narrative. And in obvious response to the gym side of things - people are legit cleaning things and additional workers are cleaning after their use of the product as opposed to lets say a costco where that is not the case.

That really is amazing to me that people would try to argue that concept.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Pens1566.. sorry to bring basic mathematics into this but the amount of people per square footage per traffic vs. opposing places is just fundamentally the most incorrect thing I've ever heard. I am sorry to pick one thing out, but we cannot change basic math to fit a narrative. And in obvious response to the gym side of things - people are legit cleaning things and additional workers are cleaning after their use of the product as opposed to lets say a costco where that is not the case.

That really is amazing to me that people would try to argue that concept.
What do you mean by this, I'm confused by the wording here.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad