Covid-19 and rec/minor hockey

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Saw a private rink opened up in BC.

If you're talking about Burnaby Winter Club, they treat their hockey there VERY seriously, and the price the parents pay matches that seriousness. Their B and C teams kill a lot of the A teams around the area. So it doesn't surprise me they'd be one of the first chomping at the bit.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Not sure what Fiscal Utopia this private rink owner is operating under, but operating at essentially half-capacity (45 mins. in between ice sessions) over the long term is simply not feasable for the majority of local rinks I'm familiar with. And simple economics dictates that doubling rental fees to cover the revenue gap of 50% less ice sessions will essentially destroy the demand for ice sessions for the vast majority of user groups. Short-term, fine he needs to do what he needs to do to survive and most user groups are just happy to get out of the house and back on the ice. Long-term the economics simply don't work, so he'll either have to adjust his eight pages of COVID policies or close up shop permanently.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Not sure what Fiscal Utopia this private rink owner is operating under, but operating at essentially half-capacity (45 mins. in between ice sessions) over the long term is simply not feasable for the majority of local rinks I'm familiar with. And simple economics dictates that doubling rental fees to cover the revenue gap of 50% less ice sessions will essentially destroy the demand for ice sessions for the vast majority of user groups. Short-term, fine he needs to do what he needs to do to survive and most user groups are just happy to get out of the house and back on the ice. Long-term the economics simply don't work, so he'll either have to adjust his eight pages of COVID policies or close up shop permanently.

Agreed. Obviously not sustainable. At best it's a baby step approach with the hope that life gets back to normal soon.

This approach isn't sustainable either :

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ckey-with-strict-pandemic-protocols-1.5552404

Reactions: BruinDust

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yea the 'protocols' in both articles are pretty crazy... and depressing I must say. 5 guys only on ice? I don't know, that's maybe hockey for the super rich? Even most of the things in the first article will not be sustainable over the long term.

I'm thinking, if schools re-open (settings of 20-30 people in one room), how will that be different than hockey rinks? I mean kids won't be social distancing in schools.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Well, I had the "or more" part right. A week away from 2 months so far and no word on anything changing. I've been skating outside trying to teach my son to skate, and I certainly feel out of shape when I turn on the jets. Obviously it's different skating, but still I just feel like my legs aren't ready for the work. I've been working out like a madman too since I've got a great home gym, so I'm in shape, just not skating shape. As soon as I hear the rinks are opening back up I might be outside doing suicides every day :laugh:

I hear you man. I'm suffering as well.

The good thing is it comes back fast. I'm one of those that plays year-round. However, I broke my foot in July 2017 and could not play until spring 2018 (took forever for swelling to disappear and foot to fully heal). I public skated like 2-3 times in March 2018 and then began playing back in April. By middle of April (about 5 ice times), I was back to like 100% of my personal best.

Reactions: Ozz

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I hear you man. I'm suffering as well.

The good thing is it comes back fast. I'm one of those that plays year-round. However, I broke my foot in July 2017 and could not play until spring 2018 (took forever for swelling to disappear and foot to fully heal). I public skated like 2-3 times in March 2018 and then began playing back in April. By middle of April (about 5 ice times), I was back to like 100% of my personal best.

I'm not so worried about the season, like you said we'll get back into the swing of things. We do skate year round as well. But our 1st game back is supposed to be the championship game originally scheduled for the week the rinks were shut down, so I'm hoping we have less immediate rust than the other team.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I don't know, that's maybe hockey for the super rich?

You're not too far off. The second article is talking about a club with elite programs that have produced a number of NHLers. We're not talking about the uber wealthy, but well off enough or serious enough to drop somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 grand plus a year for the elite hockey academy there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yea the 'protocols' in both articles are pretty crazy... and depressing I must say. 5 guys only on ice? I don't know, that's maybe hockey for the super rich? Even most of the things in the first article will not be sustainable over the long term.

I'm thinking, if schools re-open (settings of 20-30 people in one room), how will that be different than hockey rinks? I mean kids won't be social distancing in schools.
School re-opening is a few months later, though. These articles are talking about what hockey would look like today, June, July when the rinks first open up.

So I would imagine these constraints end up just like everything else... they are part of an overall phased return, and if everything goes well through the summer months, then a return to something that looks a lot more normal by September wouldn't be out of the question.

The one thing I can imagine lingering past September is the travel/tournament restriction. Even if basically everything goes perfectly and it looks like the virus is practically eradicated by September... it wouldn't surprise me if an abundance of caution still resulted in the elimination of all travel/tournament hockey for the coming season. Local league play might be back to something approximating normal, just like school. But they might wait out the travel until a true vaccination program is in place. :dunno:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
So CCM is expecting a big increase in full shield purchases this year when hockey is able to be played again.
The guy who runs the beer league in town said when they start up again full shields(not cages) may be mandatory.

Is anyone able to explain why a full shield is more effective than a cage when both options have openings at the mouth?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed. Obviously not sustainable. At best it's a baby step approach with the hope that life gets back to normal soon.

This approach isn't sustainable either :

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ckey-with-strict-pandemic-protocols-1.5552404

I’m not sure how they will ultimately do it, but I know where my daughter plays, if they only let one person per child come to practices/games, it will make a major difference in how full the rink is.

On game days, there are so many people there, you can barely move through the concourse area.

Her home rink has two sheets... and the one she usually practices on has all the parents crammed together. I honestly want no part of that now... it annoyed the hell out of me anyway, but with this virus out there, f*** that.

The other sheet where she has games is pretty big and there would be ample room to social distance if only one person per child was allowed.

Having both parents and grandparents, friends, other family members, that absolutely is going to have to stop for awhile I’d imagine.

School re-opening is a few months later, though. These articles are talking about what hockey would look like today, June, July when the rinks first open up.

So I would imagine these constraints end up just like everything else... they are part of an overall phased return, and if everything goes well through the summer months, then a return to something that looks a lot more normal by September wouldn't be out of the question.

The one thing I can imagine lingering past September is the travel/tournament restriction. Even if basically everything goes perfectly and it looks like the virus is practically eradicated by September... it wouldn't surprise me if an abundance of caution still resulted in the elimination of all travel/tournament hockey for the coming season. Local league play might be back to something approximating normal, just like school. But they might wait out the travel until a true vaccination program is in place. :dunno:

A coach in our program said a rep at US Hockey gave him the vibe there won’t be any sanctioned hockey at our rink, but I’m not sure what to believe TBTH.

I’m not sure how they could even know yet.

My daughter was supposed to start travel hockey this fall, but now even if it does happen, I’m not sure what we should do.

I’m hoping they just find local teams in the area to play, as our region so far hasn’t been hit too hard.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
So CCM is expecting a big increase in full shield purchases this year when hockey is able to be played again.
The guy who runs the beer league in town said when they start up again full shields(not cages) may be mandatory.

Is anyone able to explain why a full shield is more effective than a cage when both options have openings at the mouth?

I can see wearing cloth masks while playing being mandatory before anything else. Seems like wishful thinking by CCM.

Hockey = Droplets. Pure and simple. I would think you are most vulnerable by your own teammates on the bench.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I can see wearing cloth masks while playing being mandatory before anything else. Seems like wishful thinking by CCM.

Hockey = Droplets. Pure and simple. I would think you are most vulnerable by your own teammates on the bench.
That was my thinking as well. CCM offered a one time buy for cloth masks as well. I ordered a bunch of those as I figured those would be more beneficial than the face shield.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I have a suspicion that if we're lucky enough to be able to play hockey in the fall, travel teams will not be allowed - all games have to be local.
There is certainly ongoing study of making it local-only 3-on-3 leagues. Whether that ends up coming to fruition or not, maybe not, but it's one concept in the discussion.

Many local minor hockey associations are in the process of trying to gauge the interest of their constituents in returning. I wonder what they are finding? I tend to think of most hockey families I know being fairly rabid about it, and would have expected something like 80%+ intending to come back for the 2020-21 season, with any barriers perhaps being more financial concerns than health concerns. But that is just a gut feel, I have no actual idea what they're finding when they go out and survey the public. :dunno:

I don't know much would be changed by any formal announcements of format plans either. I don't know how well 3-on-3 local hockey would be received by higher level older age groups, for sure. But for younger kids it shouldn't be any big turn off, could be a blast. For a Junior team... well... :dunno:

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'll be interested to see if USA Hockey does the same. around here once the travel teams are chosen they start practices pretty much right away and start having games in August.

For NY, I'm hearing no games until November, and no travel until January. Anyone else?

Feels like a lost season in terms of meaningful games if true. I know development happens mostly in practice, but is it really worth paying for a travel team?

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For NY, I'm hearing no games until November, and no travel until January. Anyone else?

Feels like a lost season in terms of meaningful games if true. I know development happens mostly in practice, but is it really worth paying for a travel team?

We just heard from our main association and they are having their spring hockey league starting June 5... they re-did the rosters to make more teams and will be playing 3-3.

Also heard from one of our travel associations about try outs... they are still speaking to US Hockey and believe they will have staggered groups of smaller try out camps.

This is a travel only association, so if they do anything, I assume it will just be within the region this year.

krown

Apr 25, 2007
vancouver
Here in Vancouver, my club rink started with 4 kids + 1 coach last week per rink end (8 players + 2 coaches for the entire rink). After one week they've been allowed to increase to 5 + 1 per end. Now, with 6 skaters per end, that makes a full compliment of players on the ice for a normal game. The issue is now each set of 6 skaters have to stay in their own end. When do health regulations let one end get to mingle with the other end?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->