Couturier/Strome/Huberdeau

member 30781

Based on potential and overall effectiveness it should be ranked:

Couturier
Huberdeau
Strome

Im not a fan of strome. Ask CPhoenixM and he would tell you Strome is the second coming of Jesus Christ.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Currently:
Couturier
Huberdeau
Strome

In the future, Huberdeau and Couturier might end up being switched, but still. Couturier's fall, in my opinion, has been overestimated. It's like Cam Fowler last year where a guy gets so hyped people pick at the smallest flaws they can find. Couturier's good and some scouts have concerns that he might have peaked- but even if he did, 1 team's getting a hell of a center.

I like Strome but I think he's behind the other two. Strome has the best shot of the three though.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
From the sound of things Huberdeau might be moved to a winger int he NHL

Valley Boys

We see Strome the most, so probably biased, but the guy has stupid good hands and fast, explosive player. I keep reading questions about his size/durability, but I've also heard that he's put on a good amount of height/weight this year, too. If a team needs a player for next year, he probably isn't the best choice. Almost definitely needs more time in junior to grow physically and round out his game. That being said, he could, in the long run, be one of the big steals of the draft.

I haven't seen a lot of Couturier, so I would definitely defer to fans of the Q, but I thought he was just awful in the series against the Olympiques. I'm not pretending to be a scout-level judge of technical skill, but the guy barely played. That was pretty unanimous among everyone that went to the games. He lulled about, was slow from a stop, seemed disinterested, showed almost no offensive flare, took stupid penalties. I'm with everyone else wondering, cause we hear so many great things about him, he just always seems to do them when nobody is looking! (WJC, Q-playoffs)

I haven't seen Huberdeau play, just video clips, so I couldn't comment.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
We see Strome the most, so probably biased, but the guy has stupid good hands and fast, explosive player. I keep reading questions about his size/durability, but I've also heard that he's put on a good amount of height/weight this year, too. If a team needs a player for next year, he probably isn't the best choice. Almost definitely needs more time in junior to grow physically and round out his game. That being said, he could, in the long run, be one of the big steals of the draft.

I haven't seen a lot of Couturier, so I would definitely defer to fans of the Q, but I thought he was just awful in the series against the Olympiques. I'm not pretending to be a scout-level judge of technical skill, but the guy barely played. That was pretty unanimous among everyone that went to the games. He lulled about, was slow from a stop, seemed disinterested, showed almost no offensive flare, took stupid penalties. I'm with everyone else wondering, cause we hear so many great things about him, he just always seems to do them when nobody is looking! (WJC, Q-playoffs)

I haven't seen Huberdeau play, just video clips, so I couldn't comment.

In fairness to Couturier, you caught him at the end of the year so he was probably burnt out. His team plays him like every second shift.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Not to try and hijack the thread or anything but....who has the best IQ (i.e. anticipation and positioning and overall intelligence of the game) out of these players...
1. Couturier
2. Huberdeau
3. Strome
4. Zibanejad
5. Bartschi

Anyone know?

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
From an all around perspective, it's not even close: Couturier by a country mile.

Huberdeau may score more points, Strome may dazzle more, but Couturier's as close to the total package as this draft has.

I'm guessing that there's very little chance the Panthers pass on him at 3rd.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
From an all around perspective, it's not even close: Couturier by a country mile.

Huberdeau may score more points, Strome may dazzle more, but Couturier's as close to the total package as this draft has.

I'm guessing that there's very little chance the Panthers pass on him at 3rd.

It should be a difficult choice between Landeskog and Couturier... I personally take the beast-center from the Q.

For the rankings:

1) Couturier
2) Huberdeau
3) Strome

No way is Jonathan Huberdeau better than Couturier coming in this draft IMO

R S

Sep 18, 2006
From the sound of things Huberdeau might be moved to a winger int he NHL

And spent the vast majority of the year as a winger. Many teams will love that ability to play both, but I think it really depends which team drafts him to see where he will play. I also like him more as a winger though.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I said at the start of the season that Strome could end up being the steal of the draft. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the best forward in the draft when all is said and done.

Regardless I'd still put Couturier and Huberdeau ahead of him for now.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
From what limited impression you can get from highlight footage, Huberdeau looks to me more impressive than Strome - what a combination of size, agility, quickness, puck skills and finishing. Strome seems the same kind of player, but he looks to me to not quite as quick and agile and fluid in his movement patterns - more an "up and down" type than Huberdeau is. Correct impressions?

I haven't seen enough of Couturier (you'd think there be more footage out there).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
From what limited impression you can get from highlight footage, Huberdeau looks to me more impressive than Strome - what a combination of size, agility, quickness, puck skills and finishing. Strome seems the same kind of player, but he looks to me to not quite as quick and agile and fluid in his movement patterns - more an "up and down" type than Huberdeau is. Correct impressions?

I haven't seen enough of Couturier (you'd think there be more footage out there).

Strome has better vision, a better shot, is a better skater and he's a smarter player than Huberdeau. Couturier has some things that could rival Strome, but the only thing that either of them really have on Strome is size (Couturier) and two-way game (both.) Strome is far from a north-south type player. He carries the puck better than the other two and always attacks the offensive zone from a different way.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Strome has better vision, a better shot, is a better skater and he's a smarter player than Huberdeau. Couturier has some things that could rival Strome, but the only thing that either of them really have on Strome is size (Couturier) and two-way game (both.) Strome is far from a north-south type player. He carries the puck better than the other two and always attacks the offensive zone from a different way.

That what I'm trying to figure out. Does NJ, really need another two way player or a player with offensive flare? When we had the eight pick, I was just hoping for Murphy. Now, with the 4th pick, I'm thorn. Not really sure Couturier would be the best selection for the Devils. I'm actually hoping he's gone by 4.

The way I see it, by all accounts, RNH is an Olier, so that probably means that Lando is heading to Colorado, Florida or Ottawa, if the Sens trade up. I'm truly hope Larsson just falls to 4, this way I won't have to worry about who's the better pick out of the above three forwards.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
Couturier is who I would go for, but if you can get Larsson without moving any of your core, even if it cost you your 2012 1st, i'd say you do that in a heartbeat.

Clive Barley

Condra Commander
May 19, 2010
Ottawa
That what I'm trying to figure out. Does NJ, really need another two way player or a player with offensive flare? When we had the eight pick, I was just hoping for Murphy. Now, with the 4th pick, I'm thorn. Not really sure Couturier would be the best selection for the Devils. I'm actually hoping he's gone by 4.

The way I see it, by all accounts, RNH is an Olier, so that probably means that Lando is heading to Colorado, Florida or Ottawa, if the Sens trade up. I'm truly hope Larsson just falls to 4, this way I won't have to worry about who's the better pick out of the above three forwards.

I think Couturier is exactly the kind of player to fit with the Devils given his size and defensive reliability.

I also just do not see Larsson falling to 4 given that he is considered arguably the BPA in the draft. I don't know the Avs defensive prospect pool that much, but is it good enough to justify passing on him? Avs fans please weigh in.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Couturier is who I would go for, but if you can get Larsson without moving any of your core, even if it cost you your 2012 1st, i'd say you do that in a heartbeat.

I don't see Lamoriello trading his 2012 1st, to move up one or two spots, especially since they have until 2013 or 14, I believe to cough up a first to the league for signing Kovy.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I think Couturier is exactly the kind of player to fit with the Devils given his size and defensive reliability.

I also just do not see Larsson falling to 4 given that he is considered arguably the BPA in the draft. I don't know the Avs defensive prospect pool that much, but is it good enough to justify passing on him? Avs fans please weigh in.

If it plays out that the Oilers take RNH and the Avs follow that up by taking Lando, it will be up to the Panthers to determine if we get Larsson or not.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010

LOL. Nobody take this guy seriously, he's the biggest Strome homer on these boards.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
LOL. Nobody take this guy seriously, he's the biggest Strome homer on these boards.

Obviously you don't know what a 'homer' is, so I'll pretend that you mean I'm his biggest supporter on these boards.

Anyway, that's my biased opinion (just like anyone else on any prospect.) I don't have any connection to Strome, and regardless of the position we were in in the draft (Ottawa) I was always talking highly of Strome because I believe he is very good. There are other very good players which I have spoken highly of (Hamilton, Murphy, Couturier, Landeskog, Larsson) that could easily go before or after him.

For the most part the only way that your opinion is taken seriously is if your views coincide with draft lists or whoever the most hyped prospect is (RNH now.) Regardless of the evidence/examples you present, statistical evidence, or first-hand viewing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad