Couple of Questions Regarding High Sticking Penalties

timelydewd

Jan 7, 2018
My questions are simple. Number one: if you accidentally high stick an opponent after raising your arms to celebrate a goal, are you liable for a penalty? What if you're swung around by an opponent after a stoppage of play and inadvertently strike another opponent in the face? The first part of this actually happened to my buddy once; he was incredulous. I get that you need to maintain control of your stick, but perhaps that is a bit much? He did catch him flush though. Speaking of stick control, I could see a case for a penalty in the second scenario, although it just feels wrong since play is dead, but it would make some sense.

My second question involves wind-ups and follow-throughs. Thinking of the NHL rule. Accidental high sticks are permitted on wind-ups and follow-throughs as part of a normal shooting motion. This concerns wind-ups, If you wind up as part of a fake shot and don't finish the follow-through as part of a continuous motion, is it still legal? Or must the full shot motion be completed? I read somewhere that the shot must be followed through on, but it doesn't really say that.

Thanks!

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
In most sub-pro level leagues, I would say all of those things are generally penalties...nothing is really 100% black and white with officiating, everything exists on a spectrum. But I think, absent a rulebook (none was presented in the OP), I would call a penalty in all those situations. I also haven't reffed in a few years now...

timelydewd

Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for replying. Yeah, I'm using a PS3 for internet right now, so posting a rulebook was a no go. I'm inclined to agree with you, although my question about a fake-shot windup is NHL-specific. I know for a fact the rule says something about a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion, which seems like you'd have to complete it all the way to a follow through. A shooting motion, to me, suggests that, whereas a fake shot doesn't really qualify.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->