Countries in comparison to Canadian talent

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
So, how could one compare the following the national teams in comparison to Canadian talent?

Mongolia is the equivalent of junior a talent? is that a fair assesment?
Iceland = junior b
Ireland = junior a
Mexico = ohl team level
New Zealand = triple a level
Australia = ohl team level?

any ideas?

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Mongolia is definately not the equivalent of any serious canadian junior team of 15+ years of age. Iceland is definately better than Mongolia, they actually play the sport there. And I'm positive an OHL team would destroy the living hell out of Mexico's NT. If these teams played I'd probably put my money on Iceland.

About how they compare to canadian junior A teams, I've no idea

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
So, how could one compare the following the national teams in comparison to Canadian talent?

Mongolia is the equivalent of junior a talent? is that a fair assesment?
Iceland = junior b
Ireland = junior a
Mexico = ohl team level
New Zealand = triple a level
Australia = ohl team level?

any ideas?

Australia Junior A ,low OHL caliber maybe for their best players..
-
NZ/Iceland Jr A caliber maybe for their top players.
Ireland/Mexico lower A/B mixed
-
Mongolia Canadian rec league at best.

mongolia is not even close to Junior B talent.

search on youtube..
Ireland vs Mongolia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ZnIrT4txU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LogGSPHihHc&NR=1

australia vs mexico just last year . Australia won 11-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQ2Sx2zFKc

Ireland is on a huge decline because they dont have a running rink at the moment .atleast thats what ive read within the last few months..
id say Iceland and NZ are on their way to becoming better.
none of these teams would beat a canadian major junior team . Theres a reason only one of the teams you mentioned has ever reached Div I status. Australia just once.

Last edited:

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
i would hazard to guess that all of those countries would struggle to beat a top canadian peewee team (12 year olds). heck, the canadian national womens team loses to local AAA bantam teams in calgary all the time, and no way are any of those national teams competitive with the best national womens team in the world (or second best depending on how the USA is playing).

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
i would hazard to guess that all of those countries would struggle to beat a top canadian peewee team (12 year olds). heck, the canadian national womens team loses to local AAA bantam teams in calgary all the time, and no way are any of those national teams competitive with the best national womens team in the world (or second best depending on how the USA is playing).

there is such a huge gap between a womans physique and mans physique that I'm sure many of those teams would be competitive against the best womens NT.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011

That's rubbish, 12-year-old kids wouldn't stand a chance against a men's national team, even if it's only a Div III team.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
here's a shot in the dark, ok..

national teams - canadian equivalent
mongolia - bush league talent
iceland - junior b talent
australia - junior a talent, best players chl level
new zealand - junior a talent
mexico - junior a talent
ireland - bush league talent
united kingdom - junior a talent, best players chl level
china - junior a talent
spain - junior b talent
romania - junior b talent

so in other words, most of these countries don't even have semi pro talent to even compete with teams like switzerland or kazakstan. i would hazard a guess that most junior a talent mens teams from canada can soundly beat all these countries. we arent we even talking about canadas best juniors that could beat these countries. far from it. these teams sucks, plain and simple. im pretty sure a team of guys from hfboards can beat team mongolia or iceland in a seven game series.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
I have footage on my digital camera of team iceland scrimmage when i was in iceland last summer, i will upload them later on today. im pretty sure my hometown class a team can beat these clowns.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I would guess the qualities between the players varies a lot within theese teams. Most of them got at least a couple of decent players, the problem is that the weakest players on the team are really bad.

Iceland for example got 23-year old Emil Alengårrd that is a very good division 1 (SEL-3) player in Sweden. He is probably good enough to be a decently productive player in Allsvenskan. I could imagine him scoring lots of points if he played in CHL.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
Ice Hockey in Reykjavik, Iceland

This is a video I took when I was in Reykjavik, Iceland last summer (2010) and I manged to find some hockey here. At the time, it was August and apparently these clowns were getting ready for the local hockey season in this country. There are like 3 teams in this league, 2 Reykjavik teams and 1 team Akureyi.

I got more videos and pictures. I will post up more soon today. Stay tuned...

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Ice Hockey in Reykjavik, Iceland

This is a video I took when I was in Reykjavik, Iceland last summer (2010) and I manged to find some hockey here. At the time, it was August and apparently these clowns were getting ready for the local hockey season in this country. There are like 3 teams in this league, 2 Reykjavik teams and 1 team Akureyi.

I got more videos and pictures. I will post up more soon today. Stay tuned...

They're not as bad as you seem to think they are...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad