Countdown to Camp - Tyson Barrie

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Today's edition of Countdown to Camp looks at the man of the hour, Tyson Barrie.

Barrie just signed a contract worth an AAV many here were projecting higher for two years. This is a classic bridge contract and Tyson could very well receive a nice sized contract following this one if he continues his play where he left off last season. Barrie's skating ability has always been very good and was further improved and on display last season. As the season progressed [after a short detour to Cleveland], Barrie was becoming better and better at providing offense and learning a defensive style that compliments his size and abilities.

When the playoffs started, I would argue he was our best defenseman in terms of poise and handling the puck. Most of the team seemed nervous and were stiff to start the series, but not Tyson "Nerves of Steel" Barrie. I was particularly impressed with his defensive zone play in games 1 and 2 by how physical Barrie was able to be, showing strength I did not know he possessed. If he can continue this level of play consistently this upcoming season, we will have a very good 1-2 punch down the right side.

Will Barrie start off another year struggling or will he be ready out of the gate? Will there be any lingering affect from the knee injury, physically or mentally? What point totals could we see from Barrie? Will we see another step forward in his overall, defensive or offensive play?

8862555f4de2551708a60e2848d7e1db.jpg

Chris+Higgins+Tyson+Barrie+Colorado+Avalanche+-xa2ZtneTDPl.jpg

460x.jpg

Let the rage take over
485692235.jpg

Tyson+Barrie+Colorado+Avalanche+v+New+Jersey+rWpAMccmY0Tl.jpg

460x.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I expect him to really establish himself across the NHL this year. If he doesn't have a 10g 30a sort of season over ~70+ games I would be very surprised... I don't think a 55 point season is out of the realm of possibility. I expect BIG things from him this year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm expecting 45-50 points. I'm also expecting to see some EJ-Barrie time together which may sound surprising to some of you but when we're late in a game and need a goal I could see those two eating up a lot of minutes together.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Let's hope he scores a ton
Tyson on the PP!
He certainly adds offense to our d core. If we get any kind of a healthy year for team this could be our year to really shine. We have some guys with upside potential that may just need to be here, thinking all the new guys.
So Tyson on defense learns and then what's he worth? Lol
Looking at our cap numbers we actually look great with his contract. I hope Wilson steps up but if no, that's also room for added salary f he gets let go.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Last season I expected 38 points from Barrie. This season I expect 52 points.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
There was only 8 D in the league who topped 50 points last year.

I expect 40-45 points.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm usually among the most optimistic posters about Barrie but I'll be happy with 35-40 points if it comes with him continuing to develop his defense. I hope for more of course, but expecting it is like expecting MacKinnon to hit 80 points.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Scoring 50 points is asking a lot from Barrie, only the really elite offensive defensemen (and Wisniewski) did that last season. Then again, he had 38 points in 64 games last season and only 10 of those came on the PP. You'd think the PP would be a lot better this season with MacKinnon's improvement, Tanguay being back, and the addition of Iginla so Barrie should be able to rack up a lot of points on the PP.

I'll be happy if he hits 40 points.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Barrie IS one of the elite offensive d-men in the league. I hope for 50 points; he was already pretty much on that pace last season. And he got better as the season went along.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm usually among the most optimistic posters about Barrie but I'll be happy with 35-40 points if it comes with him continuing to develop his defense. I hope for more of course, but expecting it is like expecting MacKinnon to hit 80 points.

There's just something about this game that makes me feel that would be a let down. Maybe it is the point projections, maybe it is what I expect out of this team as a whole.

But EJ I'd be happy to have another 35-40 point season. Barrie? Anything less than 45 points isn't an improvement imo. And he's primed to not only continue on his torrid pace, but perhaps even eclipse it this season. He's riding coat tails all season with one of the most potent offenses in the league, there's plenty of chances to score now.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Looks like Barrie came through for lots of peoples' expectations, despite having some rough patches during the year.

The reason I'm bumping this though is because it would be incredible to see Barrie find a level of stamina like Keith's. He will never be as good, but Barrie is so nimble, I wonder if there will be a day he can play 30 minutes a night, every night. Granted a large part of his game is skating with the puck, so maybe his style will always prevent him from doing that since he is always skating up and down the ice. Should be interesting to see. With Tourigney gone, hopefully whoever comes in feeds the little guy a ton more minutes.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm OK with him getting 35-40 points, and he'll probably get that. It's his defense that needs further/continued development. I'll happily take 35-40 points with improved defense over 50ish points with average or below average defense.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Looks like Barrie came through for lots of peoples' expectations, despite having some rough patches during the year.

The reason I'm bumping this though is because it would be incredible to see Barrie find a level of stamina like Keith's. He will never be as good, but Barrie is so nimble, I wonder if there will be a day he can play 30 minutes a night, every night. Granted a large part of his game is skating with the puck, so maybe his style will always prevent him from doing that since he is always skating up and down the ice. Should be interesting to see. With Tourigney gone, hopefully whoever comes in feeds the little guy a ton more minutes.

Barrie should never be playing 30 mins a night unless we are chasing the lead the whole time. Johnson is a guy that needs to be up in that range, but Barrie just isn't good enough defensively to garner that type of ice time. Sure, we would score more goals and it would be exciting to watch, but it would be like Erik Karlsson and that's not a recipe for success. Barrie just needs to keep doing what he does. Be our best offensive D, run the PP and produce offense when we need it all with a partner that can cover his bum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad