Countdown to Camp - John Mitchell

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Today's edition of Countdown to Camp features everyone's favorite offensive whipping boy [until he folded in half and missed the remainder of the season], John Mitchell.

Many here are fine with him on the fourth line but he will likely start on the third line this year, but I think he is a tweener between the 2nd and 3rd lines (leaning closer to 3rd). Who cares if he can only see the ice directly in front of him and likes to carry the puck a little too long sometimes, right? Fact is, Johnny Malkin is a great bottom sixer with some tendencies that frustrate the masses. But, I will say that even from year 1 to year 2 he improved on some of those tendencies (while clutching to others). To be honest, I am a fan of the guy.

Do you like Mitchell or hate him? What do you like/hate? It is all but decided that he will start on the 3rd line. Is he the wing or center? How far down on the top-6 injury fill in list is he?

Lots of photo goodies this time:
167156273_slide.jpg

164583957_slide.jpg

940x.jpg

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Jmitchell041414wp.jpg

Hitting-the-skids-The-Colorado-Avalanche-lose-three-straight.jpg

john-mitchell-avalanche.jpg

BjahbClCIAAVOev.jpg:large

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I think he is great in the bottom six. As long as he doesn't see the top 6 or PP time I think he is an asset. Saying that if we do have a lot of injuries he can fill in for about 3 or 4 games. Great utility player. Takes too much abuse imo

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
No problem with him on the 3rd line. With his ability to carry the puck and check I think he is the perfect 4th line center, but perfectly happy with him on the 3rd. If the reports on Briere are true about his ability to play wing, I sure hope Mitchell starts there instead. I didn't think he looked out of place when he would occasionally play there.

You forgot to mention his D. Very very sound and tough.

I just hope he doesn't have any lingering problems from the concussion. Those things can be fickle.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I agree. I think he has wonderful defensive skills and had a chance to showcase them last year. Hopefully he keeps growing in this area as well as increasing his vision on both sides of the puck.

I haven't heard anything about his concussion since the end of last season. I am guessing/hoping that he is 100% now but who knows.

captaincheese

The BillDozer ~ PS4
Nov 1, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
He is probably my favourite of the bottom 6 forwards. The highlander comes close, and i still miss Davieee Jones.

Been following him ever since his leafs days, an old friend from high school is his cousin. He takes a lot of flack around here, and not just here main boards as well, but I'm not sure why, he is one of the best utility players, who can literally play any position. (Top 6 role, PP, PK, goalie?)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm probably one of the few, but I think he will thrive next year in the #3C role. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him put up 15g 25a with McGinn and Briere (maybe Hishon with injuries) as his linemates.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Hilarious seeing everyone get on his side now. His game hasn't changed at all. With the Avs he has always been a great addition, and a great depth player. Then he signs a sweetheart deal to stay with the Avs. I really like what he brings to our team. I defend him because he gets an awful lot of unwarranted abuse. And I mean in the GDT's. People sit and wait for his shifts, then there will be 15 posts about a missed pass.

Agree Hench. He has a great shot. If he is the 3rd guy in the zone and stays in the slot he will score some goals. He has a great release, and shot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hilarious seeing everyone get on his side now. His game hasn't changed at all. With the Avs he has always been a great addition, and a great depth player. Then he signs a sweetheart deal to stay with the Avs. I really like what he brings to our team. I defend him because he gets an awful lot of unwarranted abuse. And I mean in the GDT's. People sit and wait for his shifts, then there will be 15 posts about a missed pass.

I think a good portion of that is TIC. No doubt he is a frustrating player, but he is still a solid player. If he even had average hockey IQ he would be a legit 2nd line player putting up 20-25g a season, and IMO that is the most aggravating thing about Mitchell and why people like to rag on him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He should be behind McGinn and Briere if injuries open up a spot in the top six. It's good that he's versatile and has puck skills but he's much better on a third line than on a scoring line. On a third line it's not the end of the world if he carries the puck too much or takes weird shots. On a scoring line, his bad habits are worse because the guys he plays with get held back. Sometime you don't need a lead guitarist but a guy on rhythm guitar. McGinn understands that better.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Solid #3C. To valuable as a checking center that can (very) ocassionally put up points to make playing anywhere else feasible. His skill set does not seem to fit what is needed for top 6 wing, nor is he likely to see enough attrition to make him the #2C. And he is better than fourth line quality unless we see some serious improvement from many others. But given the roster, not sure if that is where he ends up. I predicted 35pts from him 2G, 23A).

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
He got wayyyyy too much flack last year, and probably will again this year once he brings out the Malkin in his game. But lets face it, he is a big part of why Minnesota was able to dominate the Avs for long stretches in the playoffs. He is a key cog in the machine, and losing him hurt, a lot. He unleashes a wicked shot on occasion, and generally right when it's needed. I look forward to seeing what he can do with Briere and McGinn.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Always liked him and was one of the few supporting him as a legit 3C last year early in the season when injuries started happening and he got pushed up. I'd love to keep both him and Talbot around as bottom 6ers with our core as we start to contend.

Love the bottom two pictures of his gnarly face and him folding in half. He's a trooper fer sure

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I like Mitchell, he is what he is. Kinda take the good with the bad and he is a part of the machine that the Avs need. I think the team was noticeably worse without him. Team seems to really enjoy having him around. I'm glad he's carved a niche here.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Which Mitchel?......., he looked fantastic one night, another he looked lost and out of his depth.... maybe its a growth issue ?
Ihope he is our surprise 20 goal scorer

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Ive always liked Mitchell. Actually liked him when he played for NYR and TOR.
If anyone wanted him gone, that MIN series changed their minds real quick.
So looking forward to seeing what he can do with Briere and Mcginn.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Underrated. He got so much **** last season for his plays, BUT we noticed huge difference in playoffs, when we didn't have Mitchell playing in third/fourth line. This guy is good for his role. He can even stunt top-2 lines now and then. He's great guy to have for depth.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
didnt like the signing but the playoffs showed me how important he is to our team. bottom two lines cant even carry the puck out of our end without mitchel.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Great, you just reminded me we signed him for another three years. Thanks a lot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Now I understand why they re-signed him. He must have walked into Joe's office like this, and it freaked him out.

167156273_slide.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad