Countdown to Camp - Jamie McGinn

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Today, let us take a look at Jamie McGinn.

McPing is a good, versatile player to have on the team for 5-on-5 play. He can play anywhere in the top 9 and not usually look out of place. He seems to be well liked with the guys and is usually good for around 20 goals per season playing on mixed lines. His style of play is a bit of a mix between grinder and power forward. I would like to see Jamie be able to play on the PP or PK but he seems to be just under the skill level to do either (without focusing on training for it). There are times I find myself saying, "No way should we ever get rid of this guy" and other times saying, "If other teams want him, like they have, we should trade him for something." Needless to say, I am not sure where I stand on him. I like him but I am not so sure he should stay after his contract is up or in the case of a trade unless he develops a little bit more defensively or offensively.

What do you think? Can he hover around that 20 goal mark or is he destined for more or less this season? Can he develop into a role player on special teams or will we see him used exclusively at even strength? Do we keep him forever or do we look for a trading partner in this or next season?

jamie-mcginn-avalanche.jpg

mcginn-495x282.jpg

hi-res-451957261-jamie-mcginn-of-the-colorado-avalanche-skates-against_crop_north.jpg

jamie-mcginn-nhl-colorado-avalanche-phoenix-coyotes-850x560.jpg

rbmfT3Ai.jpeg

7125244.jpg

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Keep him. Successful teams need guys like this. Although I hope he can become a 25-25 player at some point.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I hope he would learn to PK well, as then he would become a very useful asset.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Great great depth player to have. Especially for our team, because we are kinda soft upfront. He adds some sandpaper to our offense and he can stunt in top-6 anytime.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Excellent depth player that provides physical play and has a scoring line caliber shot.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Why get rid of him? As a comparable I see him kind of similar to what Saad is for the Hawks. Probably not as good but ability to provide scoring depth when needed.

I think he's good for 20 goals a year with his shot. He's been healthy as well in his time here, no reason to move someone like him to just have to hope we can replace him afterwards.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
I love the guy. Perhaps not the player you rely on either offensively or defensively, but he's a great complimentary player that can do a bit of everything. Hope he stays an Av for a long time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm a big fan of his game but he needs to be with good players in order to produce. I don't really know what to expect from him on a line with Mitchell and Briere.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just another great trade from coffee boy

I know this is in jest, but I really don't think Sherman was ever in charge of hockey moves. Eric Lacroix seemed like he was in charge of all the hockey related moves and Sherman was GM in name only... or a fancy titled capologist.

I'm a big fan of his game but he needs to be with good players in order to produce. I don't really know what to expect from him on a line with Mitchell and Briere.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all of those players end up in the 30s in points this season with McGinn around 40 since he will get some top 6 time.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Signing him to only a 2 year deal was so dumb.

We should trade him now before he hits UFA in 2 years because he is going to get PAID. His value is pretty high right now, I say we at least try and get something for him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Trade? He's pretty much our only "insurance" guy to play wing on the top 6. If Tangs/Landy/ROR or Iggy goes down, McGinn jumps in.

Wish Sakic would have signed him for 4 years instead of 2, he's a very valuable and versatile player.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Trade? He's pretty much our only "insurance" guy to play wing on the top 6. If Tangs/Landy/ROR or Iggy goes down, McGinn jumps in.

Wish Sakic would have signed him for 4 years instead of 2, he's a very valuable and versatile player.

4 years would probably have bumped the AAV over 4.
This may be an important year for McGinn with the Avs.
If he doesn't impress enough I can see Roy having no problem shipping him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad