Post-Game Talk (GBU): Couldn't Quite CAP-italize

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Reinhart missing the net was just karma or puck-luck or whatever you want to call it. That sh*t happens. The Sabres were dominated tonight in unspeakable ways and the fact that they got a point is just because lately Eichel has been scoring two goals per game like it's normal (shooting percentage regressing back to the mean or w/e...it's fun).

Anyway, there's no point in a "G/B/U" tonight because...Marco Scandella...16.67% CF in 19:52 of 5v5 ice time (5 on 5! 20 minutes at 5 on 5! 16.67%...!!!). What. The. Absolute. ****.

The only reasonable assumption here is that Scandella is actually dead and his corpse is being puppeted around the ice like Bernie Lomax.

I was at the game, and we must have been watching different games. I’d give the Caps the balance of the play overall, but it wasn’t that bad, and the Sabres carried play on multiple occasions.

The bad first goal, Tennyson, and a bit of bad luck cost us.

Reactions: RedRaider

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I was at the game, and we must have been watching different games. I’d give the Caps the balance of the play overall, but it wasn’t that bad, and the Sabres carried play on multiple occasions.

The bad first goal, Tennyson, and a bit of bad luck cost us.
I was sitting right behind a Sabres fan at the game. He had “Bowie” on the back of his jacket. Was that you?

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you told me beforehand we would get a point out of this game my response would've been "where the heck do I sign?" Win games you should + get points from games you shouldn't = Playoffs.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Eh I'll take the point, I've seen worse losses. That's hockey, sometimes it just doesn't go your way. I'm just glad to see they played well despite the massive handicap they were playing with.

Reactions: Graves

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Screenshot_2018-12-15-23-19-51.png

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
But wait...did housley really not out skinner out there for four round of the shootout and put in old man Pominville and not say 22 goal skinner?

It was the right call. You might want to check their career shootout stats. Pommer is a 28-for-65 (43.1%). Skinner is 6 for 35 (16.7%). But it's actually worse than that. 4 of Skinner's 6 SO goals were in his rookie year in 2010-11. He hasn't scored a SO goal since 2012-13. He's 0 for his last 19 attempts.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
G:
Eichel
Hutton (minus the first goal)
Special Teams

S:
Reinhart. Played well for most of the game. Missed (had his shot deflected) on an easy goal

B:
Middle six
Officiating

U:
Tennyson
Berglund

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
It's amazing to see the talent chasm of certain players when the Slowbotka's have a shift overlap with the Eichel's, or the Tennyson's fumble the puck to the Dahlin's who then instantly flip the ice and create scoring opportunities from Jeff Jilson-esque shifts.

Tennyson is as bad as any tank-era defender the team has iced - Massive liability at both ends of the rink and dreadful on the breakout.

Eichel is on a different level right now. The way he commands the puck through the neutral zone reminds me of Tim Connolly's 05-06 playoff run: Pure dominance, zero hesitation, and defenders playing big gaps to respect his speed/skill combo. When you take in to account his slow(er) start to the year, it's plausible that he's only scratching the surface and the "generational" monikers weren't all that hyperbolic. Tonight he looked like some wonderful Franken-combo of Mike Modano and Mario Lemieux.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It was the right call. You might want to check their career shootout stats. Pommer is a 28-for-65 (43.1%). Skinner is 6 for 35 (16.7%). But it's actually worse than that. 4 of Skinner's 6 SO goals were in his rookie year in 2010-11. He hasn't scored a SO goal since 2012-13. He's 0 for his last 19 attempts.

Well clearly it wasn’t. Lol jk even though we don’t know how skinner would of done

I was getting ready to say it doesent matter what thee history is but that is a god awful stat line for skinner so yeah ...it was the right call I guess I just remembered skinner scoring five winning goals this year and thought of him

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Something must have happened to Skinner. Though I may doubt Housley's intelligence at times, he's not THAT stupid as to bench his best goalscorer in OT. This is not Bylsma we're talking about.

Correction: Scratch that. It seems that Housley doesn't like playing Skinner in OT other than on the PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I'll take the point, on the road against that powerhouse, that game could have been 6-2 Caps very easily, but we stuck with them for 65 minutes.

I hope Tennyson wasn't allowed on the plane headed for Boston and was left to find his own ride back to Rochester. I doubt even the Amerks want him back. He made Cody Franson look like Bobby Orr tonight!

Mitts is coming around, I see a lot to like about him in the last 10 games.

We need some players that can put the puck in the net on lines 2, 3 and 4. This is becoming more problomatic as the season goes on.

Hopefully 82's injury isn't as bad as it looked. He has been good all year, I'd hate to lose him for a long time.

I really want to see some of this talent I keep hearing about in Rochester. Bott's, make it happen please

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Something must have happened to Skinner. Though I may doubt Housley's intelligence at times, he's not THAT stupid as to bench his best goalscorer in OT. This is not Bylsma we're talking about.

Correction: Scratch that. It seems that Housley doesn't like playing Skinner in OT other than on the PP.
I read that Skinner was a -7 in OT for the Hurricanes in the last couple of years, maybe Housley is looking at that.

Reactions: Wisent42

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Phil should be fired if he touches Tennyson again.
He made so many dumb plays.
How is he even an AHL player.
I don't know how many times he stumbled the puck to an opposing player in the d zone.. one lead directly to a GA. This guy cant pass.
Useless effort to play him in the 3rd with Beaulieu out.

We stayed in it good game except the end result.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The amount of people upset that Housley didn't use skinner in the shootout instead of Pominville is ridiculous. Skinner is 0 for 19 in the last 5 years. Pominville is objectively statistically better than Skinner in shootouts and likely has one of the best shootout stat lines on our team. There is literally no argument whatsoever for Skinner over Pominville in a shootout. You can argue for others like Rhino or Dahlin or whomever but Skinner is not good at shootouts and should never be used in them. To put this into perspective Pominville currently has better shootout percentage than Patrick Kane, Kopitar, Pavelski, Malkin, Wheeler, Tarasenko, Voracek, Giroux, Johansen, Kessel, and Ovechkin. Even the prime example, Oshie, has a career percentage of 54.9. Pominville is 57% over the last 5 years.

Skinner SHOULD have been out in OT though. That was the stupid decision.

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
They could have him as the #2, but they way overestimated his ability to handle this role. Granted, even Botts didn't mention him as a rookie in the 2-in-the-box podcast, so who knows...
The rush started when they burned 1 year of his elc for 5 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad