Could we make it to the Stanley Cup with our current roster

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Curious what you folks think?

I see so many threads on players who we should get or acquire, what we should do with our coaching staff etc. but I am curious, could we actually have a run at the Stanley Cup with our current roster? I won’t answer this question because......I’ll be honest, I have no idea.

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Question should be can the Oilers make the playoffs with this roster and after a few games the answer seems to be pretty clearly No.

BTW how many whiskies in are you? My guess is 6 for this thread to have been written. :nod:

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Really bad timing this thread, just saying..
That is Kind of why I posted it. Last year we had the top two scores, and this year in my opinion I thought we added some depth with a few players (granted losing Klefbom hurts) but regardless, I guess I was just wondering if there is a few here who think with the right coaching and the right lines if we have enough talent to compete in the playoffs and make a run and get to the Stanley Cup. Maybe the Stanley Cup is a bit far-fetched, but I think with the players we have on this team we are much better than a two and three team. I was one of them who has against firing our coach, but I still think with the talent we have we are much better than this. A few years ago when we made it to the second round of the playoffs I finally thought this was a stepping stone in the right direction for this team. But since then it seems like we have just gone downhill. Last year we started the season very good, and fought the entire way through the season..... Silly me, I thought we could make a run through the playoffs but we were one and done to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Call me naïve, I just feel with our current roster we are so much better than the crap we are seeing currently.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I see so many threads on players who we should get or acquire, what we should do with our coaching staff etc. but I am curious, could we actually have a run at the Stanley Cup with our current roster? I won’t answer this question because......I’ll be honest, I have no idea.

I know you said Stanley Cup but I will respond with this:

tenor (13).gif

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
nope....missing a #1 defensemen and depth at forward....oh and a stud goalie
Unpopular opinion from me: Koskinen has been solid. But yes, I definitely agree. When I said last year, I wish we had Price Only a handful of people on this forum agreed with me. Our current goalie is not bad at all, but he will never bail us out of the game.... If we had a goalie that could bail us out of a game or two I think we would be a much better team

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Hell to the No lol

Drai
mcDavid
Yammo

Those 3 are my absolute keepers/untouchables

RNH is in the tier below

I dangle everybody else (including RNH). I do not consider anybody else very important to the future from what I see/seen. I am not saying they are all trash, but if I HAD to pick who I want to keep going forward, I choose these 3.

We have one last crack at assembling a contender or Connors outta here. I cannot see him finishing his contract here with the status quo.

Last edited:

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Nope, and can't wait until we move McDavid. Edmonton doesn't deserve him.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016

I'd give it a 50/50 chance they allow spectators by then.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Get in, and who knows. It was easy for some of us to read the tea leaves (i.e. the Oilers awful record against Canadian teams in the McDavid era) and predict that they would have a really hard time making the playoffs this year. But if they make it in they could very well go on a good run like they did in 2017. The high-end talent is there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad