Speculation: Could we burn out?

PricePkPatch*

You know the story. Team with amazing start; team eventually tires out and burns out halfway through the season.

I was wondering if, with our current high-energy playstyle, if we could burn out before the playoffs and hit a wall? I have been giving props to MT for his energy management, but he is no superhero.

Prust seems to play with some injury. Diaz and Bourque have been out with concussion. Who knows what other little injuries plague our lineup at the moment? Do you think the risk is there?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
There are fewer games left in which to burn out in this foreshortened season. The Habs won't have to win that many more games before it becomes too difficult for the laggards to overtake them for a playoff spot.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I've worried about that for awhile now.

IT'll be hard to maintain there play with the intensity and amount of games they play. One day off between games isn't enough to heal the body. two games is really not enough time either.

I've tossed around the idea of using Kaberle and Weber, and maybe Bourque when he is healthy and Louis le blanc to fill in for players for nothing else than a rest day. and they could rotate giving each player a rest day for a full 4 day's recovery. Won't happen but could be a good idea.

Habtchum*

You know the story. Team with amazing start; team eventually tires out and burns out halfway through the season.

I was wondering if, with our current high-energy playstyle, if we could burn out before the playoffs and hit a wall? I have been giving props to MT for his energy management, but he is no superhero.

Prust seems to play with some injury. Diaz and Bourque have been out with concussion. Who knows what other little injuries plague our lineup at the moment? Do you think the risk is there?

I think MT is using his horses properly. All 4 lines play. All 6 d-men. He knows when to play Budaj. He could certainly give more ice time to Subban and less to Markov.

They have only 27-28 games still to play.

Habtchum*

Do I think we'll end the season in 1st place in conference? No.
Do I think we'll burnout and miss the playoffs? No.

The Bruins will posssibly win the Division, but the Habs could finish 4th-5th or 6th quite easily, even if they would play .500 hockey until the end.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Every team is in the same boat. The big X-Factor is injuries, which nobody can control or predict. No reason for us to burn out more than other teams, but we could drop if we get too many injuries to key players.

Luckily, we've built up a solid enough lead for an almost-sure playoff berth.

Boston's situation is odd. A great record, but they've been healthier and better-rested than anyone in the league. All those catch-up games may catch up to them next month.

Analyzer*

The way Therrien is distributing the ice time we won't burn out from fatigue.

Will we from lucky bounces, timely goals and saves ? Possibly, as it's a possibility for every team.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA

I just have one question...why do you have Matt Cooke in your avatar?

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
I thought about it and my guess is it's easier to keep on pushing the intensity philosophy in a shortened season, nearer to the finish line. They probably won't burn out because their hard work has paid much so far.

The timing of the no excuses mentality and 100% effort all the time is perfect for THIS season, and the players are in a situation to buy it (young players, new players).

My doubts will start to grow next season.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do I think we'll end the season in 1st place in conference? No.
Do I think we'll burnout and miss the playoffs? No.
That's how I feel.

Galchenyuk and Gallagher have been huge additions. The future looks very bright. I'm really excited about the future of this team. The fact that we're playing so well already is great.

I don't think it will last all year. Teams get off to weird starts all the time and then things normalize. The Leafs this year were really hot and are now cooling down whereas the Flyers are seemingly back to normal.

We'll probably cool off but in this strike shortened season we'd have to fall off a cliff to miss the playoffs. If we finish 1st... huge accomplishment considering where we were last year.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
What takes up more energy? Constantly pushing the play or constantly chasing the puck? I seem to remember us looking awfully tired at times last year and it had nothing to do with our intensity.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Can we burn out? It's still possible... However, every passing game it gets more unlikely...
Can we keep the same pace? I don't know. I'm surprised we've done so well.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
No, we're rolling all 4 lines pretty evenly and have had pretty good injury luck so far. I doubt we'll stay at the top of the conference but we'll make the playoffs for sure!

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
No, we're rolling all 4 lines pretty evenly and have had pretty good injury luck so far. I doubt we'll stay at the top of the conference but we'll make the playoffs for sure!

That's the key right there. Rolling 4 lines.
Price isn't busy every night so his workload is HALF or even 75% of last year.
Plus it's a short season. Regardless of the tough schedule.

They should be fine.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I voted no because we're winning off of the back of our defense. All of them are reliable, and we have depth past our top 6 with Weber + Kaberle. Even St-Denis in Hamilton has shown he can be reliable at the NHL level in a small role. The key is for Plekanec to be healthy IMO. If he goes down it could spell trouble since we have no centers capable of handling other team's top lines.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
That's the key right there. Rolling 4 lines.
Price isn't busy every night so his workload is HALF or even 75% of last year.
Plus it's a short season. Regardless of the tough schedule.

They should be fine.

Exactly. If it was like last year where we only had one offensive line going I'd be a lot more worried.

No single player is carrying the team and I think that's why we won't burn out completely.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Can we burn out? It's a possibility. A certainty? No. But we're going to have bad streaks sooner or later this season. I'd be even more impressed if we don't. We'll definitely slow down a few paces if there are more injuries and depending who they are. But seeing the way things are going. I have no reason to believe that we'll suddenly drop a couple rankings unless something major. (you know, in the way the Leafs usually do, they play well and then just plummet to the lower ranks)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->