Could USA/Canada game outdraw HNIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludger

Aug 2, 2005
Habs game for me. If anything last nights game was one of the worst hockey that I ever seen, man, those guys are only 18 or 19. a lot to learn and polish yet. Give me the new NHL anytime

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
the leafs are playing the devils so that's not a big matchup. I think it could perhaps come close. Still a lot of people don't have cable so that might help HNIC.

If it was leafs/habs then forget about it.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
ludger said:
Habs game for me. If anything last nights game was one of the worst hockey that I ever seen, man, those guys are only 18 or 19. a lot to learn and polish yet. Give me the new NHL anytime

Apparently, you won't be able to see any of the Canadiens game until after the USA/Canada game is done. RDS is showing the World Jr game first, and jumping into the Canadiens/Canes in progress. SRC isn't showing the Canadiens either, so we'll have to watch the Canada game.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
well the game is on nationally up against the HNIC Toronto game... I know most Canadians outside of Toronto will be watching it - it will be a good test to see if another game can outdraw the LEAFS nationally. This way maybe CBC will at least broadcast other games (English CBC) at 7:00 nationally (let Toronto area still have their leafs games) and let all other Canadians watch other games.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I don't know..tough call to make.

I don't get TSN as it isn't covered on my basic cable, but i get Sportsnet. So I will definately be watching the Leaf game. Personally I'd start watching the leaf game, but if it got boring (like a lot of games do) I'd switch over to TSN to watch if I could, especially during commercials and intermissions.

what CBC and HNIC have going for it, is that anyone, anyone at all can pick up the game with an antenna, TSN isn't the same story, as in this case. :(

Ogopogo*

dakota said:
Just curious who will be watching... it will be interesting to see the numbers on Monday. Will it outdraw the Toronto Maple Leafs?

I will definitely watch it ahead of a Leafs game. I would watch the Oilers over World Juniors any day.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
The ratings were in this morning's Globe and Mail. The junior game on TSN drew ~1,200,000 viewers, Leafs-Devils on CBC drew ~600,000.

Juniors by almost a 2:1 margin!

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
jamiebez said:
The ratings were in this morning's Globe and Mail. The junior game on TSN drew ~1,200,000 viewers, Leafs-Devils on CBC drew ~600,000.

Yup read it as well, gotta admit though, watching the Juniors made watching the Leafs unbearable on Sat night!

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
BeLeafer87 said:
Yup read it as well, gotta admit though, watching the Juniors made watching the Leafs unbearable on Sat night!

that is what i was thinking i was watching canada at first i think i watched the leaf game 10 min max

blank_username

Jan 6, 2005
Toronto
jamiebez said:

Toronto Star reported it to be:
- per-minute average of 1.4 million for USA vs CAN
- peaked at 1.6 million making it the most-watched roundrobin broadcast in world junior hockey history
- Devils vs Leafs: 612,000 (half the season average) - believed to be the lowest audience for a Saturday night Leaf game EVER
- Edmonton vs Calgary: 742,000

no surprises really...

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
so does this mean that if CBC showed another team nationally on Saturday night (SENS or CANADIENS) that they could draw 1.2 million and still broadcast leaf game and get 600,000? It means more viewership ratings... I am sure more people in the country would watch more hockey on Saturday night...

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
dakota said:
so does this mean that if CBC showed another team nationally on Saturday night (SENS or CANADIENS) that they could draw 1.2 million and still broadcast leaf game and get 600,000? It means more viewership ratings... I am sure more people in the country would watch more hockey on Saturday night...
I'm with you. I firmly believe that if CBC got off the "All Leafs, All the Time" mantra they wouldn't see much if any ratings drops by showcasing the other Canadian teams. The days when english speaking Canadians had only 1 team to cheer for are long over.

blank_username

Jan 6, 2005
Toronto
dakota said:

Maybe IF your working on the premise that SENS or CANADIENS could outdraw LEAFS game....let's face it 600,000 + for the leafs on saturday (vs devils, a game that paled considerably against a USA vs CAN matchup) is not that horrible considering that the flames and oilers only managed to draw 100,000 more after the USA vs CAN...

blank_username

Jan 6, 2005
Toronto
ryz said:
I'm with you. I firmly believe that if CBC got off the "All Leafs, All the Time" mantra they wouldn't see much if any ratings drops by showcasing the other Canadian teams. The days when english speaking Canadians had only 1 team to cheer for are long over.

the ratings dropped for one saturday night when a much anticipated USA vs CAN matchup was showing...only a marquee matchup (i.e. leafs vs sens/habs) could have put competition with the viewership on saturday...do u think that if sens/habs/oilers/flames/canucks vs devils could have drawn more than 600,000+ on saturday? i highly doubt it....

and i don't agree with "All Leafs, All the Time", it's more of "Leafs are the priority" because last time i checked, CBC still show games that leafs are not participating in and no i am not saying that it's fair but i guess money talks and leafs do roll in the most dough among all 6 canadian teams even you can't argue that and yes, money absolutely matters even to CBC

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
blank_username said:
the ratings dropped for one saturday night when a much anticipated USA vs CAN matchup was showing...only a marquee matchup (i.e. leafs vs sens/habs) could have put competition with the viewership on saturday...do u think that if sens/habs/oilers/flames/canucks vs devils could have drawn more than 600,000+ on saturday? i highly doubt it....

and i don't agree with "All Leafs, All the Time", it's more of "Leafs are the priority" because last time i checked, CBC still show games that leafs are not participating in and no i am not saying that it's fair but i guess money talks and leafs do roll in the most dough among all 6 canadian teams even you can't argue that and yes, money absolutely matters even to CBC

im not talking about scraping the Leafs game regionally (keep it for sure) but show the rest of the country once and awhile another game nationally (keep leafs game regionally) and suddently you have more viewers watching that time slot.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
dakota said:
im not talking about scraping the Leafs game regionally (keep it for sure) but show the rest of the country once and awhile another game nationally (keep leafs game regionally) and suddently you have more viewers watching that time slot.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Out west here (Calgary) I garauntee a higher vieweship for a Sens vs. Team A over a Leafs vs. Team A in the same time slot. Show all leafs games regionally, that's fine with me, but at this point the Sens are a more popular Eatern Canadian team in Western Canada right now, probably by a ways too.

blank_username

Jan 6, 2005
Toronto
ryz said:
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Out west here (Calgary) I garauntee a higher vieweship for a Sens vs. Team A over a Leafs vs. Team A in the same time slot. Show all leafs games regionally, that's fine with me, but at this point the Sens are a more popular Eatern Canadian team in Western Canada right now, probably by a ways too.

you can guarantee? and "by ways too"?? do you have any some sort of proof to back this up?...you could make a good argument if you would have said the Habs but the Sens? I would have to disagree with you...let's put it this way...if the Sens were the ones being shown natioally and not the leafs, there would be WAY more complaints to CBC by leaf fans not being able to watch them...it's hard to deny the leafs that they have a huge following all over Canada

but that is not to say i don't understand the frustration that fans of other teams have i'm just saying that I understand why CBC do what they do...i'm sure they do research on those type of things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad