Could the Preds trade Shea Weber and still be as good of a team as they are now?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Roman Josi, man is he ever good! Hes quickly climbing up to be a top 10 defenseman in the world, and only going to get better! Hes already top 15 IMO. Id easily take him over similar dmen like Letang, Yandle, Brodie, Hedman, Fowler, Carlson, etc.

If the Preds eventually do trade Weber, its because of Josi. 55 pts this year, 48 last year. He plays well with both Jones and Weber. I think the Preds could afford to trade Weber and not have their defense take a huge hit because they are so deep.

Josi is easily a #1 on most teams today. Hes a franchise defenseman in the making. Whats scary is that once Jones gets better, they will have 3 bonafide #1 franchise dmen. I dont think theres any team in the league that has 2 franchise dmen, let alone 3.

Last edited:

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't see how it makes any sense to trade Weber, especially after re-signing him pretty recently. He's by the far the best defensive defenseman in the NHL today. Could they still be as good? depends on the return. Their defense definitely won't be as good, but they could maybe upgrade on forwards

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
No.

Josi needs a guy like Weber with him, Josi takes chances offensively but Weber is always back there getting the job done. Who knows how Josi would react and Weber's slapshot on the PP creates space for others on the PP. If nobody covers Weber, well then good luck to the guys trying to block the shot if they dare. It's that presence back there, big, physical beast. You don't want to play against him and he is intimidating even when he's on the bench.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Josi is starting to get extremely overrated. Until he plays without Weber and is just as good, he's still just Weber's partner.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well this Stephen Burtch stats analyst guy was talking on Twitter about how Weber isn't the same player anymore. Make of it what you will. I think he could be expendable for a #1C with Jones and Ellis/Ekholm emerging as top4 guys and Josi as a #1.

Some tweets:

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Oh boy. The advanced stats nerds who praise corsi are here to try and be controversial by ******** on Weber again.

First of all, Jones looked FAR worse defensively against similar competition. I don't know exactly what his corsi was, but I am sure it must've been awful, specifically in games 3 and 6.

Second of all, the corsi praisers always seem to have absolutely zero clue how he and Josi are used by Laviolette. They go out there against the other teams best with the fourth line with the job of keeping their offensive zone presence to the outside and block as many shots as possible. But I suppose someone who doesn't think they need to watch him play since corsi is an infallible stat wouldn't know that.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well this Stephen Burtch stats analyst guy was talking on Twitter about how Weber isn't the same player anymore. Make of it what you will. I think he could be expendable for a #1C with Jones and Ellis/Ekholm emerging as top4 guys and Josi as a #1.

His twitter makes me laugh, amazing that he has a job based around hockey/sports.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Burtch's comparisons are dumb because it compares Weber's shot rates against to other dmen without comparing quality of competition

frieswithbenefits

Feb 22, 2013
Ithaca, NY
Oh boy. The advanced stats nerds who praise corsi are here to try and be controversial by ******** on Weber again.

First of all, Jones looked FAR worse defensively against similar competition. I don't know exactly what his corsi was, but I am sure it must've been awful, specifically in games 3 and 6.

So your subjective opinion holds more weight than stats do?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Entirely depends on the return. They could be better, they could be worse.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
So your subjective opinion holds more weight than stats do?

I don't need stats that only tell a very small part of the story to tell me who's better defensively after having watched the two play against the same competition. And I don't think it's an opinion either, because I can safely say Weber is better defensively by a fair margin.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think Preds would be better. Cause they would get a deadly return. They still have Rinne back there. Id roll with Josi, Jones, Ekholm, Ellis, Franson anyday

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014
All depends on the return, but Weber is very important to Josi's success. They compliment each other all too well.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not yet.

The return would have to be a very good top 4 defenseman also coming back in addition to the #1C and that just might not be realistic. The Preds defensive depth in terms of prospects and bottom pairers is pretty god damn bad.

If we traded Weber, it'd have to look like this:

Josi - Jones
Ekholm - Ellis

Josi - Jones was not a great pairing in the playoffs because of their similarity in play and we would rather not split Ekholm - Ellis as they have good chemistry. So whoever a Weber trade brings back would have to A) be able to play top pairing with Josi and B) still have enough return to get us a good #1C which I don't think is realistic.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
The return they get is what matters. If they straight up swap Weber for Malkin, then yes.

If they go 2006 Oilers style with Pronger and trade him for a package of garbage, then no.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Weber is the second best defenceman on the team. They would be just fine if they traded him because some GM would give an astronomical return.

No he's not. Josi had an amazing year and a better year than Weber but that's not enough to displace him as the #1. Truth is, Weber and Josi need each other. They're both great #1's by themselves but it's when you put them together do they both suddenly become elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->