Could the NHL fine Eugene Melnyk and the Senators because he was wearing an RBK jersey?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is kind of an odd question but someone on the National Hockey League Talk Forums brought it up on a different thread and I thought I ask about it on here. In that recent interview of Eugene Melnyk which was done by Mark Borowiecki we see Melnyk wearing an RBK Edge replica Senators jersey. Since the interview itself was posted on the official Senators Twitter account and given that the NHL now has their player jerseys made by Adidas, can the NHL fine Melnyk and the Senators for him not wearing an Adidas jersey or at worst case a Fanatics jersey?

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
What a silly question. Come on, get real. He could wear his birthday suit; there's not much the NHL could do about it.

Besides, it was still officially licensed merchandise, even if a wee bit out of date, and Reebok is an Adidas brand anyway.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I have never seen ANY owner in any sport wear his team's jersey. So I think that's pretty cool to wear it in public - even if it's an older version.

Off the top of my head, Ted Leonsis wears jerseys all the time. Sure there's more.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
If he does, I'll start a GoFundMe to cover the cost.
We need Mr. Melnyk to solely focus on destroying that franchise.
He can't be sidetracked with petty fines.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The only precedent I can think of was during the 2011 Stanley Cup Final when the NHL gave a warning to some the Boston Bruins players for wearing Boston Red Sox hats during interviews, instead of the Bruins Reebok hats with a 2011 Stanley Cup Final patch on the right side of it.

NHL Tells Bruins They Can No Longer Wear Red Sox Hats During Interviews

Interesting, granted the Ilitch family owns that team also, but a ton of the Wings wear the Old English D Tigers hats during interviews.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is kind of an odd question but someone on the National Hockey League Talk Forums brought it up on a different thread and I thought I ask about it on here. In that recent interview of Eugene Melnyk which was done by Mark Borowiecki we see Melnyk wearing an RBK Edge replica Senators jersey. Since the interview itself was posted on the official Senators Twitter account and given that the NHL now has their player jerseys made by Adidas, can the NHL fine Melnyk and the Senators for him not wearing an Adidas jersey or at worst case a Fanatics jersey?

grasping at a straws here--for reason to do things to Melnyk

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Sens fans better support Melnyk and the sens or they will regret it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Interesting, granted the Ilitch family owns that team also, but a ton of the Wings where the Old English D Tigers hats during interviews.
My guess is the NHL obviously has different rules during the Stanley Cup Final. Maybe one reason for that is the hats the players were supposed to wear during interviews became that years draft hats for all the teams, so the NHL was trying to market it them that way.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
No. He may get a phone call from Bettman but nothing else. Fine worthy would be if he went out of his was to praise the old reeboks or say the adidas jerseys suck.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The Senators have only sold just over 4,000 season tickets, down from 8,000 last season. They will be lucky to break 12,000 in attendance on most nights. I hope Melnyk sells that team. He is ruining the franchise.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Imagine the outcry on here if the Coyotes lost 4,000 season ticket holders in 1 off season

Reactions: DaveG

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Imagine the outcry on here if the Coyotes lost 4,000 season ticket holders in 1 off season

Phoenix and Ottawa have the same problems. Terrible ownership, and an arena out in the boonies. Both have hindered the profitability of the two teams. If the Coyotes were run like the Lightning, I have no doubt they would sellout every game.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Not sure Adidas wants Eugene Melnyk being a brand ambassador for them anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->