Could the 2019 Winter Classic be the game where the 'bloom falls off the rose'?

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
This game will sell, very similar to the Ann Arbor game in 2014 (which I went to and absolutely loved despite freezing my nads off).

For Blackhawks and Bruins fans that have never been to ND, that stadium itself is going to be a tourist destination, much like Lambeau Field. It’s a fantastic stadium, one where you can feel the history. It’ll definitely attract fans on that note alone.

The playoff team argument doesn’t really apply here because most teams are somewhat competitive in the race until January or February anyway, so this will be a competitive game.

And I suspect Boston fans will fly to Chicago and just commute from there if they don’t feel like driving. This matchup seems to be a play on the rivalry between Boston College and Notre Dame.

While I think most winter classic games have jumped the shark, the ones that play in older historic stadiums are going to do really well imo, as they’ll attract fans who also want to see the stadium and be part of a huge spectacle. They’ve already done the Big House, Wrigley, Fenway, and now ND... thinking Happy Valley (Philly?), the Rose Bowl or Coliseum (LA?), and the Horseshoe (Columbus?) can’t be that far behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad