Speculation: Could Subban see time in Boston this year?

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
In my opinion, Malcolm backing up Tuukka would hurt his development more than help it at this stage. I think we should give him another year or two in Providence before we start talking about him having a large role for our NHL squad. There's no need to rush him.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
In my opinion, Malcolm backing up Tuukka would hurt his development more than help it at this stage. I think we should give him another year or two in Providence before we start talking about him having a large role for our NHL squad. There's no need to rush him.

This is where I'm at.

Kid needs volumes of games at this point, and since he's not going to supplant Rask anytime soon, it's completely counterproductive to having him in Boston. Plus...if the org decides he's a trade chip, putting him in too early and seeing him falter could affect any value down the road.

I'd go as far as to say that if Svedberg falters badly (and I'm not all that confident about him this upcoming season), the Bruins would likely keep Subban in PVD and look outside the organization for a backup if it's determined that Sveddy can't hack it.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I've had this in the back of my mind for awhile now, and I've changed my opinion a little. I wouldn't mind Subban getting in a game or two during the season like Svedberg did last year, but as a serious backup, I have some doubts. He's a little too young, and something would really have to blow up in Svedberg's face to cause a switch, since Svedberg has a one-way contract. I think keeping him boiling in the AHL pot until he's at least al dente might be a good thing - a raw goalie that doesn't stick to the wall is a bad thing.

An intriguing option would be Brodeur. I've been waiting and waiting for him to be picked up, and the crickets are still chirping. It's clearly an issue of a goalie surplus - my gut tells me he would have been a reasonable addition to a lot of teams, including even the Bruins. If we have a serious goalie injury (please Jeebus no), the Rask/Brodeur or Brodeur/Svedberg combo might be reasonable - both combos allowing Subban to simmer in the AHL.

I have no idea cap-wise if/how this would work, and I have no idea what kind of salary Brodeur would command. Would it be so high that a Svedberg injury wouldn't leave enough cap space, and thus he'd probably only replace Rask?

According to an article I read today, Marty is willing to sign even after the season starts, and would ideally like about 20-30 games - which is basically a pretty standard backup goalie load, perhaps on the heavy side (especially if those games are concentrated later in the season). Last year, HICJ played 27 games, with 1 for Svedberg, and I think Rask might be willing to accept a similar split, even though there's no issues this year like Tuukka's Olympic run.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
He'll get about as many games as Svedberg got this year.

Hopefully it will be enough for teams to get a good look and decide to meet our trade requirements.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
I've had this in the back of my mind for awhile now, and I've changed my opinion a little. I wouldn't mind Subban getting in a game or two during the season like Svedberg did last year, but as a serious backup, I have some doubts. He's a little too young, and something would really have to blow up in Svedberg's face to cause a switch, since Svedberg has a one-way contract. I think keeping him boiling in the AHL pot until he's at least al dente might be a good thing - a raw goalie that doesn't stick to the wall is a bad thing.

An intriguing option would be Brodeur. I've been waiting and waiting for him to be picked up, and the crickets are still chirping. It's clearly an issue of a goalie surplus - my gut tells me he would have been a reasonable addition to a lot of teams, including even the Bruins. If we have a serious goalie injury (please Jeebus no), the Rask/Brodeur or Brodeur/Svedberg combo might be reasonable - both combos allowing Subban to simmer in the AHL.

I have no idea cap-wise if/how this would work, and I have no idea what kind of salary Brodeur would command. Would it be so high that a Svedberg injury wouldn't leave enough cap space, and thus he'd probably only replace Rask?

According to an article I read today, Marty is willing to sign even after the season starts, and would ideally like about 20-30 games - which is basically a pretty standard backup goalie load, perhaps on the heavy side (especially if those games are concentrated later in the season). Last year, HICJ played 27 games, with 1 for Svedberg, and I think Rask might be willing to accept a similar split, even though there's no issues this year like Tuukka's Olympic run.
maybe we could get hasek and roy too.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
if Rask and Svedberg are both injured, yes. otherwise, no. He is going to be given the reigns in Providence as part of his development. no other option at this time.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

You might want to keep the Brodeur Idea in the back of your mind. Isn't going to happen nor should it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad