Could Ramo make the Finnish Olympic team?

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I'd say no, because he is going against Rask, Niemi, Backstrom and Lehtonen for that spot, only way Ramo makes it is if he is the second coming of Jesus.
He was invited though, which could be saying something, because Finland does have good goaltenders.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If he plays lights out and someone really struggles then maybe. Chances of that happening are slim though.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Nnoup. Rask, Rinne and Niemi will be our troika, in that order IMO.

The only chance is that Rämö stands on his head all start of the season long and with that he could get that third place in Finland's Olympic team. And of course if Westerlund want's a goalie who has recently played at bigger rink. But it's so unlikely.

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Ramo did get three shutouts in the first round of the playoffs last year. He can straight up be lights out when he's on and I can't wait to see how he fares here. The guy is definitely an exciting player to watch.

Having said that, I think he will only get a look if Rinne and Niemi crap the bed, and Ramo brings his stalwart Omsk game for the first half of the season.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
If he's lights out he just might be able to grab that 3rd goalie spot, partly due to his recent successes on the international ice and specifically Russia. But even then he's very very unlikely to play a single game there. Rask, Rinne, Lehtonen, Niemi, Bäckström are all much more proven goalies. He'd almost have an easier task to crack Team Canada lineup to be honest.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Rask and Rinne are locks I think. The rest depends, whoever else was there would be third string no question, and likely wouldn't see any game action, so there could be a couple goalies pass on the third spot in favor of spending the time off with family, or similar reasons. But even then, I don't really see it happening

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Sorry for the late post. I'm not sure if this is OK to bump this old poll, but since I have looked into Finnish goaltender depth:

I think Ramo actually is above Backstrom in depth chart of team Finland. I'd put only Rask, Rinne, Raanta, Niemi and Lehtonen above Ramo at the moment. So in half a years time he might well take the third spot if he plays like a top 10 goalie right from the start. There is a chance he makes it as I see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad