Could Pavel Barber make the NHL as a 4th liner?

Could Pavel Barber make the NHL as a 4th liner?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This guy obviously has more skill than a 4th liner. He's size wise the size of MSL who was NHL player. NHL isn't using 4th line for goons anymore, but the lesser players.

Could he make an NHL roster as a 4th liner???

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What's the highest level of hockey he played at and when was that?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
It's impossible to say based on that video. He has nice hands, but so do a lot of guys who don't make it. We'd have to see his speed, decision making, defensive game, etc.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
There’s more to being an NHL player than having good hands in an isolated non-competitive non-game situation.

He’s a great skills coach though and has been for a number of years.

Reactions: biturbo19

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Look at his move at 9:04 of OP video. Not even Svechnikov can do that.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
No those skills dont help him in that 4th line role.. He propably has better stickhandling skills than 90-95% of NHL players, but skating and overall physique/fitness strength speed or even skating technichue etc are just not good enough. Beer league level overall player, but has NHL high end level ''skills'' if you consider skill with puck =''skill'. Theres propably hundreds of players who more pure stickhandling skill than some NHL players in different beer league's around world, but doesnt mean they could use those skills in NHL level pace you need to be as fast as other players or close to it atleast to be able to play well and use those skills and also have enoughly fast decision making. Its combination of many thinks and Barber is not overall pro player calibre he would get destoyed in any Pro league he is basically just hands.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Pavel Barber clearly has some passion for hockey. Don't you think that if he was good enough to be an NHL'er he'd at least have played pro somewhere for a while.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Pavel Barber clearly has some passion for hockey. Don't you think that if he was good enough to be an NHL'er he'd at least have played pro somewhere for a while.

Same argument about Professor Live making the NBA imo.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Here's a quote from Pavel from reddit
"Pavel here - I get this comment a lot. I'm nowhere near NHL level. I played AAA but stopped and played Field Hockey for team canada at age 18. The biggest thing I'd want people to realise is that having hands is great, but being able to apply them systematically in a game that offers little time and space is very different. That doesn't mean that those drills won't help. They will - and you absolutely should do them. But being able to apply them demands elite skating, unpredictability, and awareness.
I belong as a stickhandling instructor. It's what I love to do more than anything in this world, and it's something I understand deeply and can seriously help people with.
No one laughs harder at the "You should go to the NHL" comments than me lol. But just remember a lot of those comments are from kids or people who may not know hockey as well.
See you all on your Instagram feeds (unless you're a loser)."

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not a chance. He's like a trick shot basketball player. If he had the skill to even approach playing on a 4th liner, he's be making good money in Europe.

People really don't get how little time and space you have in the NHL. We are talking 1/4 of a second to make the absolute correct decision on time or being mocked.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lots of guys have Youtube channels doing ball tricks that are 99th percentile in the world, but none of them play professional soccer.

It's completely different.

Reactions: 7even

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Not a chance. He's like a trick shot basketball player. If he had the skill to even approach playing on a 4th liner, he's be making good money in Europe.

People really don't get how little time and space you have in the NHL. We are talking 1/4 of a second to make the absolute correct decision on time or being mocked.

Well, there's an argument Professor could make NBA

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, there's an argument Professor could make NBA

And that argument is probably just as flawed.

Not totally unheard of. Skip To My Lou had a decent NBA career, put up some pretty good numbers over 600+ games
He also was a pretty good D-1 player who was drafted in the 2nd round. He then didn't make the bucks after that he gained some fame due to And1 and then finally came back and made it. A closer comparison would be some 2nd round pick who flamed out in the NHL, spent half a season just doing drills and making youtube trick videos, then breaking camp with a team the next year.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
To the people voting no, are you saying the worst player in the NHL is better than Barber?

Barber's high skill, and the fact that he even teaches NHL players as a coach should mean that he's at least on par with the worst NHL player in the league.

That's why I don't get all the no votes. Take the worst player in the NHL and see how they match up with Barber.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
To the people voting no, are you saying the worst player in the NHL is better than Barber?

Barber's high skill, and the fact that he even teaches NHL players as a coach should mean that he's at least on par with the worst NHL player in the league.

That's why I don't get all the no votes. Take the worst player in the NHL and see how they match up with Barber.
Yes. Barber has great hands, but his skating, shooting, defense, and brain aren't NHL level.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017

He might have better hands and do exactly 0 other important things better than whoever the worst guy would be.
E.g. - skating, vision, shooting, strength on the puck, the list goes on.

Theres a reason he said himself he laughs when people tell him he should be in the NHL.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Lol, I love it when I see people in his comment section saying "why isn't he in the NHL???". It takes a lot more than a nice set of hands fellas.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He might have better hands and do exactly 0 other important things better than whoever the worst guy would be.
E.g. - skating, vision, shooting, strength on the puck, the list goes on.

Theres a reason he said himself he laughs when people tell him he should be in the NHL.

Take John Scott for example. Are you telling me Barber would be worse to the team?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Wait, because you have a specific skill that you are good at and can teach NHLers you should be an NHLer? Should Dawn Braid or Barb Underhill, both well respected skating coaches? Should Gary Roberts be able to play on an NHL 4th line?

You can be able to teach people a certain skill profile doesn't mean you can use it at the level of the person you are teaching. Should a grade 12 algebra teacher be a Rocket scientist, because they taught an eventual Rocket scientist a specific skill that eventually made up there skill profile, which they used to get to more advanced learning and/or combined it with other fields (physics and chemistry) to achieve that?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Take John Scott for example. Are you telling me Barber would be worse to the team?
Are there many people better in the world at standing on ice and fighting than John Scott? Probably not. Its not a skill I value, but he's probably one of the best at it. Now, are thre a bunch of people in leagues like the NLA, SHL, AHL etc who offer a better speed/skill combo than Barber? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad