Could Paul Maclean....

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Get consideration for head coach for Team Canada at Sochi next year?

Who are the other great Canadian coaches in the NHL right now?

At this very moment some might argue Therrien is doing an even better job (and I hate to admit it, I can't stand the guy) but I think PM has a lot to show for his first two years in the NHL.

Babcock is another solid coach I'd say, but what do you guys think?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There might actually be more competition to get on the coaching staff of the team than the playing roster.

Here's some names for your consideration:

Bruce Boudreau
Claude Julien
Joel Quenneville
Mike Babcock
Darryl Sutter
Michel Therrien
Barry Trotz
Paul MacLean
Dave Tippett
Ken Hitchcock
Randy Carlyle
Alain Vigneault

Good luck making a decisive case for any of them...

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think there's a decent chance he winds up as an assistant if Babcock gets the head coaches' job again, although looking at that list, you gotta feel some of the more experienced guys probably slide in over Paulrus.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yeah, maclean has a good shot as an assistant just because he's worked with babcock in the past.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I think it's most likely to be Babcock or possibly Joel Quenneville, but I doubt P Mac gets more than a passing consideration at this point. I'm not saying he shouldn't, just that I don't think he will.

EDIT: I didn't even think about the assistant possibility. I like those odds too, especially with Babcock.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think Mac is as good / almost as good as any guy on that list, but loses out huge in the length of resume.

I highly doubt a sophomore NHL coach would ever even be a realistic option.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think Paul needs a few seasons of elite caliber play from his team before he could be considered for the job. He has the experience but would have a huge target on his back if the team didn't perform up to expectations.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If Babcock coaches, which I expect him to, then Mac could definitely be an assistant. Not too shabby, but I don't think we really want it as Sens fans. Its just another distraction for him to have to scout in his spare time or divert time from coaching the Sens.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm

At this very moment some might argue Therrien is doing an even better job (and I hate to admit it, I can't stand the guy) but I think PM has a lot to show for his first two years in the NHL.

Quenneville

Milan the God*

I doubt he gets much consideration. Possibly for an assistant coaching job.

It's Babcock's to lose. He's a winner. He's had some elite talent on his team, but a lot of times that's very hard on a coach to keep their heads straight, winning in mind and play unselfish. Babcock has shown he can win at the NHL level and international level.

MacLean needs more time. He needs to establish himself as one of the best coaches in the league over a longer period than two years. He needs to prove he can coach well in big games.

Although I will say: I love the state of the Sens under MacLean right now. Seemed like just yesterday when Brian Elliott was our #1 goalie, Cory Clouston was the head coach, our leading scorer was a 20 year old sophomore defenseman from Sweden and the team was painful to watch. Quite the turn around.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I doubt he gets much consideration. Possibly for an assistant coaching job.

It's Babcock's to lose. He's a winner. He's had some elite talent on his team, but a lot of times that's very hard on a coach to keep their heads straight, winning in mind and play unselfish. Babcock has shown he can win at the NHL level and international level.

MacLean needs more time. He needs to establish himself as one of the best coaches in the league over a longer period than two years. He needs to prove he can coach well in big games.

Although I will say: I love the state of the Sens under MacLean right now. Seemed like just yesterday when Brian Elliott was our #1 goalie, Cory Clouston was the head coach, our leading scorer was a 20 year old sophomore defenseman from Sweden and the team was painful to watch. Quite the turn around.

Don't you miss Ryan Shannon though?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Babcock will DEFINITELY be the head coach (Steve Yzerman is still the GM and him and Babcock are much too familiar with each other). And if Babcock is behind the bench, you best believe the current Jack Adam's winner (yeah, you read right, babay!, his former assistant, and friend will be right by his side!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Nope. It's Babcock's job to lose, he'll take Julien and another coach. MacLean maybe an assistant but he's not getting the HC job unless this team is in 1st place and wins the Cup.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Personally, I'm very opposed to using the same management/coaching teams.

I think there's nostalgia for the old team, and you want a fresh perspective.

If it were up to me, new GM team and new coaching squad every 4 years.

Or at the minimum, a new GM and a new head coach.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Safe bet that Babcock as the incumbent has the inside track. But as far as assistants go, MacLean is as good a choice as any, given his coaching history with Babcock.

source

Jul 13, 2008

100% he gets consideration. He's Canadian and for the second straight year he will get consideration for the Jack Adams.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Please don't let it be Hitchcock. I don't know if I'll watch knowing Canada will get a 2 goal lead and then refuse to go into the offensive zone.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess:

HC - Babcock ... AC - Hitchcock ... AC - Quennville ... AC - Julien ...

malcolmedge

May 4, 2010
Vancouver
I think Mac is as good / almost as good as any guy on that list, but loses out huge in the length of resume.

I highly doubt a sophomore NHL coach would ever even be a realistic option.

Didn't everyone say that about Doughty for 2010 as well? In fact all of Yzerman's crew wanted JBo but Yzerman insisted on Drew.

From what I remember Drew was one of the best players for Canada. So dont doubt Yzerman on taking a sophomore with huge upside, over a long resume.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Personally, I'm very opposed to using the same management/coaching teams.

I think there's nostalgia for the old team, and you want a fresh perspective.

If it were up to me, new GM team and new coaching squad every 4 years.

Or at the minimum, a new GM and a new head coach.

Totally disagree with you! If you won the last Olympics, you reward the crew that did it!

If it ain't broken......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad