Could Paul Coffey have potentially won a Scoring Title?

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
well he did show he could do that in '95, when he led the red wings with 58 points (in 45 games), outscoring fedorov, yzerman, and everyone else in raw points and points/game. 6th in league scoring and in points/game, as a 33 year old.

man, what a 24 year old coffey could have done on his own team...

On the flip side, in '95 he finished 12 points back of Jagr and Lindros, and it was only a half-season. So he was still quite a ways away from leading the NHL scoring race.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Coffey could generate plenty of offense and was fun to watch but make no mistake he doesn't come close to leading the league in scoring without 99 and 66. I'm sure he'd still have 1 or 2 100 point seasons though.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
On the flip side, in '95 he finished 12 points back of Jagr and Lindros, and it was only a half-season. So he was still quite a ways away from leading the NHL scoring race.

On the flip flip side, he was 33 and playing for Scotty Bowman that season.

With the right team and situation (and excluding Mario and Wayne), I do think it is possible an offensive prime Coffey could have won a scoring title. It would just have to be a season where things really went right for him.. he drove a lot of offense with his rushes.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
playing for Scotty Bowman /QUOTE]

cut.jpg

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
At 33, Lafleur was almost out of the League, and was not playing for Bowman.

Yzerman at 33 playing (mostly) for Bowman -- 74 points in 80 games.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
'95 was probably his best shot. Short season, more variance, Detroit rolled forward lines, Gretzky/Lemieux aren't on top. It's hard to win a scoring title when you only get a point on, at best, 55% of the goals you're on the ice for.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We'll say what we know for sure. He wasn't even close in a Wayne/Mario world. Sure, he finished as high as second once, but he was still 79 points behind Gretzky. So he was close in terms of placement, but not distance to the #1 scorer.

How does he do without them? Hmmm............good question. Still great in my opinion. I think Coffey was teammates with 9 of the top 10 single season scorers in NHL history (both being Wayne and Mario) so that isn't an accident either. It isn't as if Coffey was just a passenger, he was a huge part of perhaps why Gretzky cracked 200 points.

Let's also not forget, Coffey was drafted 6th overall. He had a 102 point season as a junior in his draft year. It wasn't as if he couldn't score then either.

I just can't see a year where it happens. Maybe 1987 like others have mentioned if he plays a full year. Take Gretzky and Mario out of the NHL and you've got a 105ish point top scorer. That's possible. Other years Hawerchuk/Savard (1988) or Yzerman (1989) are scoring too much to ignore. Ditto for Yzerman in 1990.

No, I don't think he wins one. 1995 was his best shot and he was still 12 points off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->