Could Matthews and Tavares each put up 50 goal seasons this season?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Matthews - 19 goals in 21 games played. On pace for 61 to 62 goals.
Tavares - 23 goals in 35 games played. On pace for 53 to 54 goals.

Which one of them hits 50? Do both? Neither?
Yes, it’s possible.

I wonder how many OV could get - 60?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Who are the last duos to score 50 for one team. Did Ovechkin and Semin hit that mark? Gretzky, and kurry/messier must have accomplished that as should have lemiuex/jagr. Dont think many happened post lockout. Alfredsson and Heatley were prob a really good goal scoring due as well

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If the Leafs could start forcing more calls and get the PP back up to Oct numbers, then they have a chance
You get more calls when your forecheck and down low play is stronger. The longer you spend in the opposition zone, the greater the chance of a call. Not forechecking or battling for pucks (basically one and done) lead to less calls. Keep playing aggressive and heavier and the calls will come.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You get more calls when your forecheck and down low play is stronger. The longer you spend in the opposition zone, the greater the chance of a call. Not forechecking or battling for pucks (basically one and done) lead to less calls. Keep playing aggressive and heavier and the calls will come.

A lot of penalties get called on the rush too. The problem is that turnovers at the blueline on the rush can be killers. Forechecking hockey is a safer way defensively. I would still like to see them try more things on the rush instead of only those safe dump-in's. There's enough buffer in the standings and the team's raw skill to live with some pond hockey consequences during the regular season. I'd like to see the team explore ways of breaking through these 4 across the blueline defenses other than dump-in's.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If they can both stay healthy, absolutely.

When was the last time a team had two 50 goal scorers?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Tavares has a chance, but I think Matthews has missed too many games unfortunately. If he increases his shots per game though, who knows. With his shot and ability to generate high danger scoring chances, anything is possible.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If they make they both hit 50g pace over the season is the only important thing to me. I think they could do it. Hitting 50g is just bragging rights.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Tavares has a chance, but I think Matthews has missed too many games unfortunately. If he increases his shots per game though, who knows. With his shot and ability to generate high danger scoring chances, anything is possible.
Tavares only has 4 more goals than Matthews which is the crazy part. No way his S% stays this high but fun would it be to see him get close whilst missing games.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
For people saying "he's missed too many games" - that obviously won't be the reason if everything else holds constant. Thus, the reasoning is less "he's missed too many games" and more his shooting % will regress heavily to the mean over the final 47 games.

But answer this - do you think Matthews could score 54 goals in a full 82-game season? If your answer is "of course" than your answer to OPs question should also be "of course" as to whether Matthews can get to 50 this year. 54 goals in an 82 game season = 0.658 goals/game. Which is the same % he would need to score going forward to reach 50 goals (0.658 goals/game x 47 games = 31 goals).

Reactions: saffronleaf

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Matthews - 19 goals in 21 games played. On pace for 61 to 62 goals.
Tavares - 23 goals in 35 games played. On pace for 53 to 54 goals.

Which one of them hits 50? Do both? Neither?

YES!!!! Although about Matthews numbers, is that on pace for 61/62 goals in a full 82 games season, or does that take into consideration the games he missed and would still be 61/62 goals in 68 games (assuming he stays healthy for rest of the season)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I'm not sure, it seems the more lethal our power play is the less calls we get. There is no reason I can think of that justifies us being dead last in power play opportunities. At least I think we still are?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If they can both stay healthy, absolutely.

When was the last time a team had two 50 goal scorers?

How many times has it even happened in league history?

Boston in the 1970's: Bucyk/Hodge and Esposito
Montreal in the 1970's: Shutt and Lafleur
Edmonton in the 1980's, several times: Gretzky, Kurri, Anderson (all 3 twice!)
LA Kings in 1990's, Gretzky, Nicholls
Calgary in the 1980's, Nieuwendyk, Loob
Pittsburgh 1990's, Lemieux, Jagr/Stevens

I think I'm detecting a pattern with those examples...

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
YES!!!! Although about Matthews numbers, is that on pace for 61/62 goals in a full 82 games season, or does that take into consideration the games he missed and would still be 61/62 goals in 68 games (assuming he stays healthy for rest of the season)

Matthews' number was calculated over 68 games, so it takes into consideration the games he missed. It would still be 61/62 goals.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
When was the last time a team had 2 50-goal scorers in the same season?

Answer: Jagr + Mario back in 1995-96

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews is like a great white shark on the PP. Lurking and lurking then BANG!!! He strikes. If we could clone Marner so 34 would have what JT has at 5 on 5 ..........Holy Crap!!!!!

Welll, Bracco is in the extremely hi end passer category and is being developed very carefully with Keefe for that role.

Marner is a special player in his own stratosphere but Bracco is a high quality set up guy in the making. So the quality is coning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->