Could Matthews and Tavares each put up 50 goal seasons this season?

Mar 26, 2010
I would be thrilled to see both Tavares and Matthews put up a 50 goal season.

It is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As long as AM stay healthy - it's quiet possible (as I mentioned in post game thread)

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Definitely possible as long as they both stay healthy... especially once Matthews has Nylander up to 100 percent flanking his wing.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think a Leafs team has ever done that before, two 50g scorers.

Correct. Franchise has only had three players surpass that mark in a season. No 50 goal scorers in the NHL last season, so it would be great to have teammates (and these two in particular) do so this season.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As long as the team remains healthy, get better soon Hyman, and the pp gets hot for a good period of time, ya these two fellas could make Leaf history by scoring 50+ each.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I was thinking about posting this thread myself. I don't do threads much so decided not to and just see what they do.

Not only that we could have a couple 100 poont players and a defenseman scoring champion in Rielly.

This team if tight.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Matthews is like a great white shark on the PP. Lurking and lurking then BANG!!! He strikes. If we could clone Marner so 34 would have what JT has at 5 on 5 ..........Holy Crap!!!!!

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews is like a great white shark on the PP. Lurking and lurking then BANG!!! He strikes. If we could clone Marner so 34 would have what JT has at 5 on 5 ..........Holy Crap!!!!!

That would be great, but not even necessary.

Put Marner with Matthews and Tavares with Nylander.

If Tavares plays with Nylander, i'm betting that Tavares is more productive.

Here me out.

Whoever Marner plays with is going to score goals, we know that. But Marner scores 20 goals a year and Hyman even less. To get the most out of Tavares it would be ideal to have players on his wing that can finish scoring chances. Tavares can drive a line, while Matthews is more shoot first.

Tavares is scoring more goals but his point pace is similar to last year.

If they want to load up offensively I propose:

Kapanen-Matthews-Marner
Kadri-Tavares-Nylander

balance

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Kapanen-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kadri-Marleau

Give shooting options on J.T's wing.

If Tavares is facing second line match ups and has two scoring threats on his wing, wow. His point total would probably go up. I'm betting Matthews-Marner totals may even go up as well but who really knows until you test it.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Easily, John was always a great goal scorer and with Mitch feeding him tap ins, 50 isn't a stretch.

Matthews could've honestly hit 50 his first year if Babcock knew how to coach properly.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I just cant wait for Mathews to surpass laine in goals this season. It amuses me to always hear how an elite scorer laine is, maybe the best ever. But Mathews isnt an elite scorer. Laine has a great shot. That's it. Mother f***ers it's so frustrating to hear.

Sorry for the rant. Just debated a buddy. And am fuming over his lack of intelligence.

We aren't friends now.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Matthews rocking a 27.9% shooting percentage sort of screams unsustainable to me. That said, I hope so.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Think honestly it will be tough for Matty just because he missed games already .

Tavares has a really good chance

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Even with his injuries, if Matthews could stay healthy from now on he is currently on pace to reach 60 this season. If he stays healthy, he seems to be a lock for 50. Tavares will have to continue uninterrupted at his current rate. Tavares is such a steady player and with scoring being up, I wouldn't bet against it.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I don't think a Leafs team has ever done that before, two 50g scorers.

Not only have we never had two 50-goal scorers in one season but do you know how rarely we have ever had one 50-goal scorer, hence my profile name here "Vaive50", cause Rick Vaive was the first ever Leaf to score 50 goals and that was back in the 81/82 season and then he did that for 3 straight years. And for those that don't remember, Vaive came to us in a trade for Tiger Williams (our Tie Domi back then). After that, we had Gary Leeman potting 51 in the 89/90 season, after that it was Dave Andreychuk had 54 in the 93/94 season. We have not had a 50-goal scorer since then (25 years). That's how rare it is for us (a franchise that's been around for over 100 years) to have a 50-goal scorer, we've won more Stanley Cups than we've had 50-goal scorers.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
If the Leafs could start forcing more calls and get the PP back up to Oct numbers, then they have a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->