Could Mats still play today?

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Looking at alfy he's only 2 years younger then sundin. He's been retired for a few years now. Leafs this year are looking like they could make it. Woulda loved to see sundin take one last run. Sundin to kessel..

see Jason Allison experiment

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Sundin was a power-forward type, and they typically don't have the longevity.

I think it really says a lot about Alfredsson that he's still able to play at the level he does at his age. It is not something that everyone can do. Even the very best.

Just look at Mario Lemieux.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
If he never left, he may be able to but he's still a few years older than most of the older guys. Sundin is 42

Selanne is 42
Jagr is 41
Khabibulin is 40
Whitney is 40
Alfie is 40
Kovalev is 39
Koivu is 38

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Looking at alfy he's only 2 years younger then sundin. He's been retired for a few years now. Leafs this year are looking like they could make it. Woulda loved to see sundin take one last run. Sundin to kessel..

lol idk why leaf fans idolize this guy so much + he is in the HHOF name... i dont think thats allowed (a player playing and being in the HHOF)

inb4 "rental player"

the guy screwed us, nty.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Being a guy that size and one who played such a physical game, you have to imagine it took an immense amount of work to prepare each offseason. He looked a touch out of step in the 08-09 season, so tacking on another 3+ seasons would definitely wear on him a lot more. I think he could still be a quality NHLer, but definitely not the impact #1 center that we were accustomed to.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I've no doubt this guy had another couple seasons left in him when we decided not to bring him back.

3kaRHgr

78 points. We let a player of that caliber walk away because it was time for a change. What a blunder.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I've no doubt this guy had another couple seasons left in him when we decided not to bring him back.

3kaRHgr

78 points. We let a player of that caliber walk away because it was time for a change. What a blunder.

If it makes you feel better Sundin had already said he had no intentions of playing while until he was 40, he wanted to go out while he was still a dominant player.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Sundin was a power-forward type, and they typically don't have the longevity.

I think it really says a lot about Alfredsson that he's still able to play at the level he does at his age. It is not something that everyone can do. Even the very best.

Just look at Mario Lemieux.

Sundin was a power forward? Wow his legend is growing.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
Imagine Sundin returned for the rest of this season... I would be so excited to see him in his first game back. But do you think he gets the C back over Phaneuf over that stretch?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Captain Mats could play if he wanted to...he'd be like Jagr using his old man strength to dominate puck possession.

And then Kessel would lose it.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Captain Mats could play if he wanted to...he'd be like Jagr using his old man strength to dominate puck possession.

And then Kessel would lose it.

You could see Sundin doing this really well in his last few years here. He really figured out how to use his size and strength to be unstoppable going to the net...he didn't rely on speed at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad