Could Mats still play today?

a a ron

Jan 11, 2011
Winterpeg
Looking at alfy he's only 2 years younger then sundin. He's been retired for a few years now. Leafs this year are looking like they could make it. Woulda loved to see sundin take one last run. Sundin to kessel..

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Doubtful. He's taken a lot of beat up over the years with all the physical play he's had to put up with.. He was a durable guy but he constantly played with injuries. I think he retired at the right time.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
He would be too slow.

In Vancouver he showed flashes of the hands and shot, but the footspeed was gone.

Leafs For Life*

I'd do it just to get Mats to 1000 points on the Leafs.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
Too bad Sundin wasn't a few years younger. Would have loved to see Lupul-Sundin-Kessel

But no, he's been out of the game for a few years now. When someone is out for 1 year it's mentioned how he's been out too long. so don't bring back someone who's been retired longer.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Too bad Sundin wasn't a few years younger. Would have loved to see Lupul-Sundin-Kessel

But no, he's been out of the game for a few years now. When someone is out for 1 year it's mentioned how he's been out too long. so don't bring back someone who's been retired longer.

JVR - Sundin - Kessel

Drool.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
saved by the bell and care bears will be on tv again too

Saved By the Bell reruns have been on Much I believe, or they were recently :naughty:.

Sundin retired at the right time, but for the heck of getting him to 1000 points as a Leaf it would be nice to see him lace up and center Kessel and Lupul/JvR.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Picture David Steckel on the ice. That's what Sundin would look like today.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Picture David Steckel on the ice. That's what Sundin would look like today.

C'mon man...that's just blasphemy... We both know Sundin 10 years from now would still be better than Steckel.

PhillyFrisco

Jun 29, 2007
www.blueprintz.ca
He would be too slow.

In Vancouver he showed flashes of the hands and shot, but the footspeed was gone.

See Jaromir Jagr.

If Mats (and that's a big, hypothetical If) wanted to come back, I think he'd be able to. Would take a lot of training and dedication but Mats at 50% is still better than a lot of players.

No one on this team right now could carry Sundin's jock strap.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
C'mon man...that's just blasphemy... We both know Sundin 10 years from now would still be better than Steckel.

I think he means game speed, which I agree with. Nothing to do about his skill level.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Assuming Sundin would have kept his training up (which I don't think he has), he'd be David Steckel with Mats Sundin's hands.

A useful player in some situations? Yeah. He'd definitely help the PP. Probably wouldn't get much icetime outside of that, though.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If he kept himself in shape , there's no doubt in my mind . If players like Stajan can earn a spot in the league, someone like Mats should have no problem. But at that age who wants to play a sport this demanding ?

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I would love to see Sundin on the Leafs, even right now at the age of 42 and not having played for quite awhile. I think it'd be entertaining. Put him on the 3rd line and give him some PP time.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
As has been said, his skill level would still be pretty good, but his foot-speed has taken a hit. I saw him at the Legends Classic game and I thought he looked pretty good. Don't know how long it would take him to get NHL-ready, but I imagine he could do it if he really, really wanted to. Having said that, I doubt he has any interest whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->