Could Habs be interested in Yakupov?

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
I saw it on Twitter, but the Oilers might better served to trade Yakupov for Ryan Miller 1 for 1.

I'm not sure Miller is the goalie they need. But at this point, what they have in terms of goalie clearly doesn't cut it.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
Would you guys trade Zachary Fucale + stuff ( picks/prospects) for Yakupov?

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
RNH is horrid in his own zone? I think you need to catch more Oilers games, RNH is already a good two-way center and will only get better.

I watched maybe 15 last year, and 2 so far this year. He has lots of skill, but not good in his own zone yet, not good at coverage, when he gets puck in his zone he is smart with it and gets it out quick by either skating or passing it out. But defense coverage, he is always getting beat.

i just looked it up he is -7 in 3 games this year. That is a out of context stat I know, but he is always in the wrong place defensively when I watch. I don't think it's a major issue, he's a kid, he will get better, they all will, but you can't say today he is a good two way center because he is not good in his own zone yet.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Our Prospect pool is finally well stacked enough to build a contender. Let's keep it, especially for someone who can't crack the Oilers roster.

That's not to say he won't crack the Oilers' lineup before long. Your post suggests that the Habs already have enough in reserve. I'd give three or four of those prospects if that's all it took to land Yakupov.

PricePkPatch*

Would you guys trade Zachary Fucale + stuff ( picks/prospects) for Yakupov?

That's a very, very good question.

If, and only IF, Timmins believe Yakupov is redeemable. If he believes we can make him buy into our system, and actually try to be more professional.. then yes.

If he's a risk.. then.. probably not.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I saw it on Twitter, but the Oilers might better served to trade Yakupov for Ryan Miller 1 for 1.
That would be a big ripoff for the Sabres.
That's a very, very good question.

If, and only IF, Timmins believe Yakupov is redeemable. If he believes we can make him buy into our system, and actually try to be more professional.. then yes.

If he's a risk.. then.. probably not.
Why wouldn't he? He's 19 years old, not like the kid can't be taught.

PricePkPatch*

Our Prospect pool is finally well stacked enough to build a contender. Let's keep it, especially for someone who can't crack the Oilers roster.

that's a silly argument if I ever heard one. Just look at the player on your avatar to see how much it means for a player to be benched.

When Subban was scratched, was it because he couldn't crack our roster?

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011

Big ripoff? More or less. Since his injury he's not quite the same goalie he was once. But what if the Oilers earn a Stanley Cup with Miller down that line while the Sabres are still bottom feeders with Yakupov? Would it still be a ripoff?

PricePkPatch*

Not saying he cannot. Just saying that 19 years old aren't always the most receptive to criticism and humility. Or willing to put up lots of hard work if they have a sense of entitlement. Especially if they always had it easy before in their career.

.... I am going to change my previous argument. I believe Galchenyuk would be able to get through Yakupov. But most likely Subban could as well. Not to say Subban has a sense of entitlement, but he has the talent and the dedication to maybe instill some good leadership in Yakupov.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011

When it comes to Yakupov, you also have to take into consideration that there is an entourage that advise his hockey carrer wherever he goes.

So even if a kid can be taught, will his entourage leave him alone while you groom him or will they pollute his brain with "You could earn twice as much in the KHL", "Your coach hates you", etc etc etc...

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Yakupov look like the second coming of Radulov. Very talented but also seem to be an headcase and a player that is not easy to coach.
Personally i'd pass especially for what we would have to give to get him.

Some people here makes fun and less than clever/sarcastic remarks about those who think that character is important but this is exactly why. You can have all the talent in the world but if you have a ****** work ethic and a ****** attitude then you're going to cause problems for your team. Personally id rather avoid that type of player and Yakupov seem to be that category. Now he's still young and has a lot of time to mature and become more professional but if i have to pay a premium price for a player i'd rather not have to deal with those question marks.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
I guess this really smart hockey blogger doesn't realize there are around 10 teams that are at the cap and couldn't make a trade if they wanted to.

He also doesn't realize there are 30 teams in the nhl and not 31, if you read that quote carefully. :laugh:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Make it happen, throw in a few of our d prospects and 2 veterans like DD or something

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I'd love to add Yakupov and re-unite the 2 Sarnia boys in Montreal!
Being a Sting fan myself (not because we drafted Galchenyuk, I've been a Sting fan for almost as long as I've been a Habs fan) I can say that the 2 had chemistry with one another, and if they played together in the NHL, one can only imagine what kind of headaches they'd cause for opposing defense and goaltenders. If the price was right, I'd be all for adding Yak, I'd be fine dealing with his issues if it meant that the 2 would play together.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Yakupov
XXXXX - Eller - Gallagher

:yo: :amazed:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Big ripoff? More or less. Since his injury he's not quite the same goalie he was once. But what if the Oilers earn a Stanley Cup with Miller down that line while the Sabres are still bottom feeders with Yakupov? Would it still be a ripoff?
I don't think Miller's going to win a cup with anyone. And Miller's on the downside of his career now. His best years are probably behind him.

If the Oilers were going to make a deal for a goalie, they'd want a younger player or one coming into his prime now like Carey Price.
Not saying he cannot. Just saying that 19 years old aren't always the most receptive to criticism and humility. Or willing to put up lots of hard work if they have a sense of entitlement. Especially if they always had it easy before in their career.

.... I am going to change my previous argument. I believe Galchenyuk would be able to get through Yakupov. But most likely Subban could as well. Not to say Subban has a sense of entitlement, but he has the talent and the dedication to maybe instill some good leadership in Yakupov.
We don't know what kind of guy he's going to be. We only know he's got great talent. Tons of kids come into this league cocky... most grow up. Unless this kid is a real idiot (and I see no indication of this) then he's worth taking a chance on.
When it comes to Yakupov, you also have to take into consideration that there is an entourage that advise his hockey carrer wherever he goes.

So even if a kid can be taught, will his entourage leave him alone while you groom him or will they pollute his brain with "You could earn twice as much in the KHL", "Your coach hates you", etc etc etc...
The Russian part of the equation is an added risk but we haven't seen this happen too much with players who've come over. It's always a possibility but he's invested a lot of time in North America already. Seems that it would be a strange move to suddenly go back to Russia.

Not saying it couldn't happen but...

PricePkPatch*

I'd love to add Yakupov and re-unite the 2 Sarnia boys in Montreal!
Being a Sting fan myself (not because we drafted Galchenyuk, I've been a Sting fan for almost as long as I've been a Habs fan) I can say that the 2 had chemistry with one another, and if they played together in the NHL, one can only imagine what kind of headaches they'd cause for opposing defense and goaltenders. If the price was right, I'd be all for adding Yak, I'd be fine dealing with his issues if it meant that the 2 would play together.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Yakupov
XXXXX - Eller - Gallagher

:yo: :amazed:

Hey. I said that earlier. You thief!!!

Put Collberg or McCarron next to Eller. Or keep Bourque. Really, there are many serviceable wingers available to get into that very strong 2nd line.

Although, short-term, I'd rather see this:

Yakupov-Galchenyuk-Gallagher. :naughty:

MayorFord

Feb 13, 2007
i'd do price for yaks straight up. give fucale a few years to develop. in the meanwhile get one of anaheims goalies through a trade.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
gimme yakupov-galchenyuk-gallagher please

Yaks would fill up the spot of Eller which I hardly see without the gallys so its all good.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
The Russian part of the equation is an added risk but we haven't seen this happen too much with players who've come over. It's always a possibility but he's invested a lot of time in North America already. Seems that it would be a strange move to suddenly go back to Russia.

Not saying it couldn't happen but...

The Russian part of the equation is somewhat negated by the Ruskis in our lineup no? I wouldn't worry too much about Yakupov wanting to leave for the KHL, personally. We've got Markov, who enjoys Montreal, and Emelin. Let's no forget about Galchenyuk. Who does he have in Edmonton? Grebeshkov?

I believe the chemistry would comeback almost instantly between Yakupov and Galchenyuk, but I doubt any trade occurs.

PricePkPatch*

gimme yakupov-galchenyuk-gallagher please

Yaks would fill up the spot of Eller which I hardly see without the gallys so its all good.

Eller hasn't disappeared. He just assumed more responsibility and proving himself as a top liner, while the kids are still developping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad