Could Habs be interested in Yakupov?

PricePkPatch*

Who compared Collberg and Yakupov here?

You did. You used Collberg as an example to replace Gionta in 2 years to reply to my suggestion that Yakupov could replace Gionta.

Therefore, you were comparing Collberg to Yakupov. Pay attention.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
You did. You used Collberg as an example to replace Gionta in 2 years to reply to my suggestion that Yakupov could replace Gionta.

Therefore, you were comparing Collberg to Yakupov. Pay attention.

Now you are puting words in my posts that weren't there.

It's not because we have a player in our system that can replace Gionta that means he is as good as another player. It merely means we already have something has a contegency plan for when Gionta is gone.

Pay attention.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Are the Montreal Canadiens in need of a player like Nail Yakupov? While Bergevin would love to add another young prospect with high-end firepower to his roster, so would 29 other teams, all with deeper pockets to meet the Oilers’ organizational needs.

I guess this really smart hockey blogger doesn't realize there are around 10 teams that are at the cap and couldn't make a trade if they wanted to.

PricePkPatch*

Now you are puting words in my posts that weren't there.

It's not because we have a player in our system that can replace Gionta that means he is as good as another player. It merely means we already have something has a contegency plan for when Gionta is gone.

Pay attention.

Yhea, but my point wasn't to say "we need a contingency plan to replace Gionta". My point was "We are going to have such an impressive upgrade on our 1st line".

Your comment about Collberg came out of left field; totally random and useless.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
His work ethic is exactly the problem. The dude doesn't want to play defense despite the fact that his team cannot win even when they average 5 goals per game.

How is that any different from Hall (who doesn't play well in his own end and turns the puck over a ton), and RNH (who is horrid in his own zone)?

Yak led them in goals last year, he is young, if this is just a something they feel will make him better do what ever you have to do, if this is just there to punish him for poor play they should be benching Hall and RNH too who are just as bad defensively.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
How is that any different from Hall (who doesn't play well in his own end and turns the puck over a ton), and RNH (who is horrid in his own zone)?

Yak led them in goals last year, he is young, if this is just a something they feel will make him better do what ever you have to do, if this is just there to punish him for poor play they should be benching Hall and RNH too who are just as bad defensively.

I think we can add Eberle in as a player who doesn't hit or backcheck as well.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yakupov is a very good prospect and could turn into a great player. However, the Habs and Oliers are simply bad trade partners, as both teams have plenty of small/soft but skilled players.

That and our management has this 'character' mantra thing going on.

I just don't see it happening.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
Yhea, but my point wasn't to say "we need a contingency plan to replace Gionta". My point was "We are going to have such an impressive upgrade on our 1st line".

Your comment about Collberg came out of left field; totally random and useless.

And I didn't diagree with that part, did I?

Now you're way out on the right field.... {mod}

Last edited by a moderator:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

yup neither does phil kessel.. that doesnt make him a bad hockey player. you can forgive poor defencive coverage/checking when you have elite lvl skill as compensation

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011

Well it wasn't a "Why areN,t the Edmonton's playing better D thread", I though it was a thread about Yakupov being possibly traded to Montréal.

But if you're willing to go down that path... I'm willing to rock on...

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011

I actually think he is pretty average, maybe below average in his own zone, rest of the 3 big guys are horrid.

That said, them in the Sharks, funnest teams in the NHL to watch.

Limestoner

Nov 4, 2012
Too small.

If we're going to be adding what would be an expensive piece, we need more size up front.

It's not like the draft where you go after the best available regardless of what you need.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
yup neither does phil kessel.. that doesnt make him a bad hockey player. you can forgive poor defencive coverage/checking when you have elite lvl skill as compensation

Phil Kessle is better defensively then you think.

PricePkPatch*

Disagreed. It's just plain bad work ethic.

You don't have to be as skilled defensively as Bergeron or Gainey; but you gotta cover your responsibility and be professional about it. Otherwise, you encourage stuff like that:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Disagreed. It's just plain bad work ethic.

You don't have to be as skilled defensively as Bergeron or Gainey; but you gotta cover your responsibility and be professional about it. Otherwise, you encourage stuff like that:

obviously theres a line you cant go over, its very rare that nhl caliber players go over that line. s.kostitsyn is in a league of his own

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well.. there are character movers, and there are those who are carried by the flow. The point of targeting "character" players is to create a strong team where everyone feels involved and part of the whole. you don't need 24 character players for that; it's a matter of reaching critical mass and then the spirit becomes its own thing.

With luck, Yakupov could be one of those players carried by this team spirit created by the character players.

Couldn't agree more with this. We already have that critical mass and there's plenty of reason to think he would mesh well in MTL.

As for Yakupov comments, I suspect something was lost in translation. If you read the coaches comments it's not that he has a problem with Yakupov's defensive game or work ethic. It's just that when he's struggling he tries to do to much by himself and cheats defensively. It's exactly the same issue Kovalev had.

As a team Yakupov isn't what we need but players of his talent don't come around often enough that you can afford to say no to a reasonable deal.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

RNH is horrid in his own zone? I think you need to catch more Oilers games, RNH is already a good two-way center and will only get better.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's worth looking into because of Yakupov's connection with Galchenyuk regardless of any problems the Oilers have with him. Of course Bergevin wouldn't give the Oilers exactly what they want in their first offer. The Habs may not have limitless talent but a handful of key players shouldn't be included in the deal. Price would be off the table but I would include any Dman except Subban and any forward except Galchenyuk, Eller, or Pacioretty in the package. I would hate to cede Gallagher but Yakupov's upside is much greater. If the Oilers would take a recently drafted prospect instead, that would make me feel better. I hope it wouldn't be McCarron, but c'est la guerre. Beaulieu might have to be ceded.

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
Our Prospect pool is finally well stacked enough to build a contender. Let's keep it, especially for someone who can't crack the Oilers roster.

PricePkPatch*

obviously theres a line you cant go over, its very rare that nhl caliber players go over that line. s.kostitsyn is in a league of his own

Off course there is a line you can't go over in term of the absolute minimal standard you expect from your players.

But my point is: you should never, EVER tolerate a player doing less than he was before. The important part is not to necessarily BE a great defensive player; the important part is that he needs to TRY. He needs to do the little thing; that's called professionalism. If you tolerate laxism, you create bad precedents.

Look at is this way: we are willing to forgive a certain amount of Galchenyuk's defensive/turnover mistakes. Everybody understands that he's not perfect defensively yet, and it's fine. However, nobody would be happy with him doing a lazy backcheck.

Acting professional is part of "building character" on your team. You need your entire team to be consistent, and never let up their struggle for the "right" play. You sit players who aren't trying to buy into this idea of team spirit; and you ice those who actually do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->